vw bug inner rear trailing arm theads stripped

goofballracer

PAT DAILEY #1 FAN
Reaction
hey everybody i have a bit of a problem i stripped the threads out of the inner pivot bolts on trans horns and no im screwed any ideas on how i could fix my present situation? thanks ahead of time

TauMau

Reaction
So that's what you've been up to all this time? Causing headaches for yourself?

Obviously you can tear it out and put in a chromolly torsion housing. You also could probably plasma out the nut (or threaded deal) in there right now and weld in a new one. Or you could cut out just the inner pivot housing and weld in a new one (ie IRS conversion kit). Maybe retap to a larger thread and have some new bolts machined (assuming you can't find the ones you would need anywhere off the shelf).

Maybe someone else will post up a solution that offers a simpler, more intelligent approach but these are all the most viable ones I can think of. I wouldn't think it'd be very plausible getting a nut on the end of the bolt somehow...?

What if you fabricated something that would just hold the bolt on by pushing on it from the outside? Know what I mean? Not really the "right way" but no reason it couldn't work.

TauMau

Reaction
While working around the rear of my baja today I realized you won't be able to get a nut on there and probably wouldn't be able to keep the bolt "pushed" in.

goofballracer

PAT DAILEY #1 FAN
Reaction
yea ive been trying to get her ready for the season after takeing a hard slam and bending some stuff. i f-ed up big time on the rear tho. i hate the stock design so stupid. im gunna cut it of and add a nut that i ground down to fit in the bushing sleeve but the pain in the ass is its gunna be difficult getting something in there small enought to cut the old one off.

goofballracer

PAT DAILEY #1 FAN
Reaction
?help

jps1145

Reaction
You may have to cut the stock mount out and weld in the after-market conversion bracket as TauMau suggested. You could try a heli-coil repair, but I wouldn't trust that.

Deenracing

Reaction
I had the same thing happen to my 5-16. All I did was cut a hole on the inside of the frame horn big enough to get in there. The nut is just tacked on the inside you could pick up another nut, cut the old one off from the inside and then weld the new one in. Then weld the hole back up. Before you weld it up put the rear end together to make sure the camber and toe is correct. There could be enough slop in the pivit that a little bit here or there could be alot on the tire. It was actually easier than I thought. Much easier than replacing the pivit because I had to do that too.

goofballracer

PAT DAILEY #1 FAN
Reaction
ok so i fixed it i put a longer bolt in and welded a washer on the large opening where the old bold head used to go and sleeved the bushing with a smaller tube 120 wall 7/8" diameter

Motelcambodia

Reaction
ok so i fixed it i put a longer bolt in and welded a washer on the large opening where the old bold head used to go and sleeved the bushing with a smaller tube 120 wall 7/8" diameter

Photos??