VW bug vrs Truck

1992f150

Reaction
How does a bug do compared to a truck as far as money spent vrs results? Dont include the base price of the bug as a factor please. For example if i have a stock ranger and a stock bug, and i spend about 2 grand on each, which will be faster in the desert?
Thanks!

Azusa: shame of the foothills

hbprnstr

Reaction
It just so happens a own both a baja and a prerunner and from what I have experienced you can get much more bang for your buck out of the Baja. Shocks are going to run you about the same with either vehicle but other things such as motor build up are very cheap for the VW. I have maybe 4 grand into my baja and can drive it much harder and faster througt the dez than i can my truck which has just about the same amount if not more into it.

martininsocal

Reaction
I would have to say the bug is the better bargain if carrying a bunch of stuff isn't a priority and you can weld yourself. If you can weld, you will save a bundle building up a bug. If you can't weld, the costs are pretty similiar as far as basic build ups. That is if you are comparing a ranger and a bug. if it is any other truck(except maybe an early f-100), the costs for the truck will be at least twice as much for like performance.

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

1992f150

Reaction
yes I can weld...how does it save money over a truck though? you talking about welding up the seems or what?

Azusa: shame of the foothills

martininsocal

Reaction
the after market kit parts to build a long travel baja(like a street legal 5-1600) are much cheaper and teh gussets to beef spindles, carries, arms, etc...will come in way lower than a truck. plus, used parts from race cars will much cheaper and there will be very little custom fab required.

example- old bug-500 bucks
chenowth roll cage-160
6 fox shocks- 750
after market torsion bars for rear 120
2 beard seats 300
rims and tires 300
tubing for rest of cage 100
gussets to beef parts 100
Bus trans 200
rear axles 120
add misc-200

you are in for less than 3K