VW pulls out of Baja??

spalind

Somebody let me know if I missed this here but I just got my May issue of DirtSports in which it has an article going over how VW has ceased all contingency funding for SCORE and has ended its racing efforts with Arciero-Miller (though is honoring is contract for their shop??). I was so hoping to see how the TDI Baja Touregs would fare as time went on and more experience in Baja...but now.....
What a shame, how many hundreds of thousands if not millions of $'s went into their development and the thousands of man hours that go along with it for them to run one race and now mothballed...Ahhh, as the world turns I guess...Just another flash in the pan and now gone...Gotta hand to to Ford, after all their issues financially, there they are, still supporting BITD like they ACTUALLY care about the sport...imagine that?? (and I'm not even a Ford fan--though that has really been changing of late...)

fordnut

I think they are just putting their racing program on hold till the economy picks back up. If I had to put money on it, I would say they will be back.

spalind

VW has a 10 year contract with Score.
Hasn't been a contract written that someone with enough lawyers can't get out of...to quote the article, written by Pete Brock "Part of the collateral damage from VW's swift decision to put all exterior projects on temporary hold was their Contingency Program with SCORE International for the 2009 season..." Please let me know how I am misinterpreting that...I stand by the article until proven otherwise...there is NO VW contingency for the remainder of '09....

Later in the article Sal is quoted "Supporting the SCORE contingency program was VW's way of recognizing all that racers with VW-power have done for our sport...I know VW of America feels badly about the current cancellation of their contingency program...and will return when they can....

Sorry, its pretty clear to me...VW is D-U-N done in Baja...

jo maoma

Heisenberg
i've lied about pulling out before.....

...and i felt awful about it.

stokessdca

com-mit' v mit'ted -mit', -mit'ting 1 put in custody 2 do 3 pledge,
bind - commitment.

apparently the " commitment " was or is not for better or worst.

sorry if you just made a investment in your car based on someone
else's commitment.

this is why i still buy bf goodrich tires for everything i own. they
still know the meaning of the word commitment. hope fully the
vw contingency lapse is only temporary.

E&S Racing

F.A.I.T.H.
Mark will chime in if he can....
I don't know. He didn't chime in when I posted two months ago about VW going under and no one seemed to believe me. As far as I know the doors at the AMR shops have been closed or closing for a while and they have sent people home or to find other jobs.

spalind

I don't know. He didn't chime in when I posted two months ago about VW going under and no one seemed to believe me. As far as I know the doors at the AMR shops have been closed or closing for a while and they have sent people home or to find other jobs.
VW going under or AMR closing? VW is no where near going under and is in fact one of the stronger multi-national auto manufacturers (which is why its a bit of disgrace for them to pull the plug at this point while Ford maintains its heavy support in BITD). On the other hand with VW pulling out of SCORE it would not surprise me one bit if AMR has massively scaled back its efforts...We'll see if VW yanks its Dakar efforts as well...Anyone know how that Jetta series is going at this point?? If I remember AMR had a hand in that as well...

michael_loomis

AMR Is only scaling back due to lack of funding from VW.

Chase 2

VW going under or AMR closing? VW is no where near going under and is in fact one of the stronger multi-national auto manufacturers (which is why its a bit of disgrace for them to pull the plug at this point while Ford maintains its heavy support in BITD). On the other hand with VW pulling out of SCORE it would not surprise me one bit if AMR has massively scaled back its efforts...We'll see if VW yanks its Dakar efforts as well...Anyone know how that Jetta series is going at this point?? If I remember AMR had a hand in that as well...

And you guys wonder why you don't get answers to your questions.

spalind

And you guys wonder why you don't get answers to your questions.
Is it not a disgrace???? They signed a 10 year contract and have now reneged upon that contract leaving SCORE and AMR in the lurch...It is a disgrace when one of the strongest auto companies in the world pulls the plug on a series of efforts it signed on to complete and one of the weakest (Ford) holds up to its commitments...Sorry Chase...I know your a VW sycophant but they are stinking up the joint with this move...

Chase 2

Sorry Chase...I know your a VW sycophant but they are stinking up the joint with this move...
Well, you are perhaps partially correct in that I am proud to call myself a member of the AMR team, or as you would call me; a "sycophant". I actually had typed out answers to your questions/statements, but started thinking that no, it isn't my place to respond to your calling the team "powers that be" disgraceful. The people you are bad mouthing are prolly a bit too professional to respond typical RDC drama like this.

But I have to ask, if you know so much about VW's contracts, why do you have to ask such simple questions here??

spalind

Well, you are perhaps partially correct in that I am proud to call myself a member of the AMR team, or as you would call me; a "sycophant". I actually had typed out answers to your questions/statements, but started thinking that no, it isn't my place to respond to your calling the team "powers that be" disgraceful. The people you are bad mouthing are prolly a bit too professional to respond typical RDC drama like this.

But I have to ask, if you know so much about VW's contracts, why do you have to ask such simple questions here??
I don't believe I have asked any questions...merely stated facts, as usual...VW HAD a 10 year contract with SCORE--which they backed out on for now...They HAD a Baja racing program through AMR--which is now mothballed...They HAD contingency money for SCORE racers--which no longer exists...

All of the previous is corroborated by direct quotes from Sal and MM...

My categorizing VW's actions as disgraceful is the only part that is non-factual and I stand by it....A little more than a year ago Nissan was publicly castigated and disparaged for having bailed on short course racing on both a series and individual racer basis---and that was AFTER their stated contract (with WSORR at least) had run out...Now VW bails in the MIDDLE of a contract and Chase wants you to look the other way because he has ties to the company and its (formerly) fully sponsored racers...

Vtr_Racing

This shouldnt be a surprise given the tough times. Im sure they will be back when its financially sound.

pdailey

Racer
This shouldnt be a surprise given the tough times. Im sure they will be back when its financially sound.
Exactly. Calling them disgraceful is a bit harsh considering the tough economic times we live in right now. Car sales are way down and instead of laying people off, they decided to cut back on their marketing. I would have done the same thing.

What's disgraceful is the money we (taxpayers) sent to GM and then they turn around and keep pumping money into NASCAR and the higher-ups that keep flying around in their leer jets. That's disgraceful.

danzar

a company cutting extra costs to save workers jobs / itself can't be considered disgraceful.
I do respect Ford's continued commitment to off road, but cannot fault a company in these desperate times. Business always comes first. VW will be back.