Vw shifters

B. Everett

I know this isn't a thread about a prerunner or a box van ;). So, the desert racing section might not be appropriate. But it will be going on a race car! I'm upgrading the shifter in the 1600 car. I know the Proam shifter is great. Is the Fortin shifter good? Also I am looking for feedback on the Jamar aluminum shifter. Is the proam really worth 200$ extra? Thanks

MadMike1111

I have the Fortin, it is excellent and has the stock style push-down-next-to-second-gear reverse engagement. I thought that feature might not be great and I would accidentally use reverse since there is not lockout mechanism......but I must say, Fortin nailed it, it has a stiff spring in there and you have to try to push down pretty hard to get it into reverse. Since I'm used to traditional VWs (class 11) I prefer no lockout. I LOVE it, the precision of the $500 shifters combined with new universal joints (sweet mfg) allows you to feel the shift forks through the shifter. Buy the best, cry once.......

Awful easy to break reverse in the heat of battle, a moment's hesitation may save the day...

Rick 1634

The Jamar is economical, light weight and works great. The bushings are replaceable to keep on rolling.

offroadracer516

Go with the pro am. Luke Mcmillin had the fortin in his 1600 car. And it failed on him several times. When I got my pro am he even commented that's the best shifter you can put in a 1600 car. Get the pro am.

ORWTROY

ProAM wont come apart in the years of racing.. a jamar shifter will hold up for a few seasons and need repl. hardware. any other shifter... well you get what you pay for..

offroadracer516

I have the Fortin, it is excellent and has the stock style push-down-next-to-second-gear reverse engagement. I thought that feature might not be great and I would accidentally use reverse since there is not lockout mechanism......but I must say, Fortin nailed it, it has a stiff spring in there and you have to try to push down pretty hard to get it into reverse. Since I'm used to traditional VWs (class 11) I prefer no lockout. I LOVE it, the precision of the $500 shifters combined with new universal joints (sweet mfg) allows you to feel the shift forks through the shifter. Buy the best, cry once.......
Im telling you now the Fortin is not the best. It failed on Luke at Bap 2015. The one in our 516 has been going for years. With zero maintenance.

offroadracer516

What failed on it?
"The part that sets up against the set screw wasn't hard enough... so the set screw wasn't location it correctly and then I couldn't shift
"At the bottom of the shaft there's a donut that the set screw hits against It to locate it. And it was chipping away" "No issues with pro am".

Strait from the horse him self.

I will stick with the shifter that never fails. Pro-am.

Attachments