VW Trailing arms

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Who around here knows VW rear ends. All weekend I have been trying to understand the geometry of the various rear ends of VW. I have noticed that on torsion swing arms that there are different degree mounts, why? What are the half shaft complications with the common long travel set up where the trailing arm will cycle parallel with the transmission, where does it slip or extend, things like that. And why is it done like that, but it is set up to orbit around the transmission on the swing arms and axle set ups that use torsions. I know that when it orbits the transmission it will contact the frame. on on parrallel setups it won't for obvious reasons, but why the diff. Thanks

Anyone can escape into sleep, we are all geniuses when we dream.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
The different degree mounts are so you can get more camber on the up travel,keep the tire more level while leaning in a curve.All the slip (plunge) is done w/the axle shaft itself in the cv joint,the large 934/5 cv can get up to 27 deg. of travel but all is dependent on horsepower and how hard you are on it. The axle line center at the wheel doesn't need to be inline w/transmission usually there set back farther to utilize the longer axle(less cv angle).