• Forum membership has its advantages....

VW Type 1 motor makes noise and smoke!!

CHukkawala

Hey I'm working on my friends buggy, when we start the engine we hear a scrapping noise can feel a clunking and 30 seconds after running the engine white starts to come out of the oil breather. We did find the doghouse broken inside so we replaced it. But still makes the sound.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

harleys dad

If the fan is not rubbing then you have major problems inside. White smoke out of the breather means the rings are going bad or bad as well as the valves. Take the fan belt off and start it that will give you a answer on the scraping sound, It can also be the tin behind the big pulley rubbing.

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
If the fan is not rubbing then you have major problems inside. White smoke out of the breather means the rings are going bad or bad as well as the valves. Take the fan belt off and start it that will give you a answer on the scraping sound, It can also be the tin behind the big pulley rubbing.
Don't do this for more than 2-3 minutes or you'll burn up your engine...worse? Sounds like a bad cylinder...do a leak down test to find out if it's just one or if the motor is screwed up on multi cylinders

harleys dad

stock engine can run for quite a while with no belt but no need to, start it and see if the sound is still there

green787

White smoke out of the breather and exhaust would indicate a scored cylinder....

green787

If it is a scored cylinder do I need a new set of cylinders or machine shop?

You can go with one used jug from a wrecking yard... It's most likely cyl #3 behind the clogged oil cooler.... You will need a VW type engine stand attachment for your work bench ..... Don't try to run it anymore, it will just cause more damage.... The fun part is taking it apart and seeing what is causing the problem....Shouldn't take you more than a half hour...

Your Source For All Your Aircooled Vintage VW Parts.

Last edited:

CHukkawala

There is no oil leak but when we drained the oil there were no shaving. I'm looking for project engine disassemble in a way. Hopefully just have to replace the cylinder and not cracking the case open

1wayne

If the engine has a blown piston, you will needed to split the case to inspect the bearings, camshaft, lifters, crankshaft, oil pump. Trust me take it apart and inspect it! You have to clean the engine case and internal parts. Also when replacing the bearings you have be careful with the bearings you recieve. I have built alot of engines and have had to hand fit the bearings to get the engine to turn of over with out any hard spots.