Walker Evans chassis on Craigslist

Dumfast

Anybody see the old Walker Evans Chevy stepside on the Inland Empire Craigslist for $1000?...Seems like it could be a good deal...A great starting point anyway...Any one know this trucks history?

atomicjoe23

Sounds cool, but will they even let you on the track with a cage made completely out of 0.095"? I thought minimum for the required structures was 0.120" regardless of material.

RyanWiW

Sounds cool, but will they even let you on the track with a cage made completely out of 0.095"? I thought minimum for the required structures was 0.120" regardless of material.
You would be correct. All main structure tubing has to be 2" .120 wall for all vehicles over 4,000 lbs. Under 4,000 lbs, has to be 1.75" .120 wall.

atomicjoe23

That's what I thought. . .that entire cage would have to be cut out and redone with 0.120" if anyone wanted to compete with it!!! So tack at least another $750 worth of tubing on top of the $1000 asking price, plus the cost of labor to cut the old cage out and re-cage it if you couldn't do it yourself. . .I bet after it was said and done it would be close to $5K just to get it re-caged!!! Not such a good deal then. . .

Josh_Westwood

Race it as a "nostalgic race truck" and get it grandfathered in under the old cage rules. It was built before the new rules were put into place so there is no reason to not allow it. Personally I would keep as a old school Prerunner with some modern upgrades.

Brokenbronco

I agree. What a great foundation for a cool old school pre runner!

atomicjoe23

Race it as a "nostalgic race truck" and get it grandfathered in under the old cage rules. It was built before the new rules were put into place so there is no reason to not allow it. Personally I would keep as a old school Prerunner with some modern upgrades.
They do that??? I didn't think they fudged on the safety rules like that?

I like the old retro stuff too. . .got a '79 F-150 4x4 that I can only hope will be as cool as the couple that I have seen on this forum!!!

They do that??? I didn't think they fudged on the safety rules like that?

I like the old retro stuff too. . .got a '79 F-150 4x4 that I can only hope will be as cool as the couple that I have seen on this forum!!!
Probably not with SCORE as older out-of-spec vehicles had to be tagged a couple years ago to be "grandfathered," but some promoters have a vintage class.

atomicjoe23

That's what I thought. . .I'm not intimately familiar with all the classes in all the different series, that's for sure!!!

DamnitJuice

is the trailer the one its sitting on?

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Does the current owner have any documentation Walker Evans built this truck? The ad leaves me suspicious about it's pedigree. Walker drove a Dodge exclusively during that time period and Evan Evans was racing a Class 6 Jeep Cherokee modified with hand controls.

atomicjoe23

I see a lot of rust. . .just make sure you don't bight off more than you can chew. . .

. . .we just bought a '40 Jeep Willys P/U truck for $800 ($700 less than the asking price) with a 350 SBC/TH350/D18 and although we are still well ahead on our expenditure, the frame had a crack in it (good thing I'm a qualified welder), and the 350 had a crack in the block across 3 cylinders (new block. . .no welding was gonna fix this crack!!!)!!! but based on what we paid for the vehicle and the fact that we got a 14-bolt rear/Dana 60 front axle set, SM-465 4-spd. manual, and NP-205 (GM) t-case for $250 (any one of those was worth the $250 except the D60 was worth at least twice that) and picked up a set of 40x13.50x17 BFG MTR's mounted on Hummer H2 8-lugs for $500 we are actually already ahead, but still there were already quite a few unexpected expenditures before I even had the Jeep stripped. . .

. . .just make sure you give it a REALLY good once over, and you double check the series rules (if you intend on racing) concerning the 0.095" tubing before you jump into it. . .

Good Luck. . .I'm all for seeing more retro racers out there!!!