• Forum membership has its advantages....

Want more than a class 10?

Been racing razors for the last few years. Drove some wide open adventures Baja buggies last week. Came home sold the razor and I'm ready to get a real desert unit.

I was wanting more than the 180-195hp that most class 10' seem to produce. My issue $30-40k is my budget.

I know it's not all about HP but the stuff I rode was fun a bit boring after a bit.

Suggestions on which rig is the right one to buy, truck or car, I'm good with either.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Shane
806-683-9071

ltr450rider

Well, what motor is your favorite? Buggy or truck? How many gears do you want your transmission to be? What brand of tires are your favorite? That should be enough info to build a new class that is perfectly suited for you.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Rocket 450

You should look into 1/2-1600 for your budget. And if you got bored I don't think you were doing correctly :)

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Itr450,

I like loud motors. I like lots of gears, how about an 18 speed out of Peterbilt semi. My favorite tires are monster truck tires, and I like them blue.

Thanks for taking the time to make some smart a$$ comments. Your a great help.

I found a 4 seater with a LS1, 550 hp in the prerunner section. Here in Texas I could race that in the Unlimited Class. Is that realistic?

Dirty Harry

I was wanting more than the 180-195hp that most class 10' seem to produce. My issue $30-40k is my budget.

I know it's not all about HP but the stuff I rode was fun a bit boring after a bit.

Suggestions on which rig is the right one to buy, truck or car, I'm good with either.
Is this an April Fool's Day joke? With your budget you should have kept your UTV. As the old saying goes, "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

tapeworm

Since you're from Texas you could buy a 4 seat car with an LS motor and a Mendeola tabs and have fun. To be competitive in the western desert races you wouldn't be able to buy anything more than a 16 car or a Trophy Lite, but over in Texas you should be ok with any car that has a V8 in it because the classes don't have the same depth of competition that they do out this way.

rritchie

Realy. IF you think there is no competition, load it up and bring it. you might go home with your tail between your legs!!!!!!!

So for those of you who contributed something positive, thank you. I'm trying to learn this desert racing deal. For the smart asses, why you gotta be such d bags? Doesn't help the sport grow when you guys are a holes. We just try to help one another here in Texas. Save your breath and your bs comments to yourself, and hope you breakdown.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
A Class 10 can be very fast, but is more "work" to drive than a V-8 car, with all its forgiving torque.

I think the later is more fun.

That said, a lot of four-seaters are not really built with the rigors of racing in mind, whether it be a lack of gusseting or inadequate stub axles.

You might face a lot of down time, DNF's and additional prep costs, replacing stuff over and over or upgrading after the fact ($$$).

Trucks generally more expensive than buggies, if only for the fiberglass replacement costs.

Operating costs, in general, rival or exceed the purchase price of most fullsize off road race vehicles.

Rocket 450

Nobody's trying to be a "D-BAG" . Its just that there a ton of posts with people asking your same question.(how to go fast cheap). Or can we make a new class for me

Maybe delete this thread. And ask I'm New I would love some direction on a class that fits this(your) budget. I plan on racing here(insert sanction body)

Everyone here is here to help. Its all in how you ask.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

ltr450rider

Happy to be of service!

Sorry dude, but you're asking for a class built around what you want. Most of us are pretty tired of that train of thought. There are plenty of great classes, choose one and get really good at it. You want competition, buy a 10 car and see how hard it will be to win against the best drivers in the desert. Good luck.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

B. R C Arrow

Buying the race vehicle is the cheapest part of racing, we run in the Trophylite class, although we only put 135 or so hp to rear wheels through a 3 speed th350 transmission. Our season budget is double what we bought truck for. All the trucks are identical which makes it a lot of fun, any truck can win at any time. With the budget you mentioned above I don't think you'll be able to even get into a good 10 car.

Bro_Gill

Buy the old Jacinto class 1car and see if you are any good. Cheap enough and great deal for a 1 car for you to figure it out.

SteveAtMotowest

Buying the car is the cheapest part of desert racing. Buy, not only what you can afford to buy but also, what you can afford to maintain. And then realize that every year is a stepping stone. Nobody starts at the top.

scary fast hummer

I found a 4 seater with a LS1, 550 hp in the prerunner section. Here in Texas I could race that in the Unlimited Class. Is that realistic?
Shane, to answer your question; yes. It is realistic that you could run a prerunner with a big V8 and have a shed load of fun. At the end of the day you are really only racing yourself. If there is a Sportsman class, buy your rig, build it up to regs, get it tech'd, go out and have a blast. If no Sportsman, you could enter in Unlimited with the full understanding that it really is your duty to stay out of thier way as you will not be even remotely competitive. Either way, you are going to spend more than you planned but if your success is measured in grins per mile, you will be a winner.

If you really want to race (as opposed to just going fast), listen to these guys and get into a reasonable buggy class. Class 10's are anything but slow!

Take what these western desert guys say with a bit of salt. They really are not trying to be dirt bags. Most of them have have no idea that there is NOWHERE in Texas to just go out and go fast across the desert. To say they are spoiled for places to go fast would be an understatement. They are used to guys who have all the opportunity in the world locally if they just opened their eyes and ears and still ask the dumbest stuff. That gets mighty tiresome and fast.

Either way, (uncompetitive V8 car or competitive smaller car) it is your choice. Best of luck!

nimrod

KOOK!
You can race just about anything in sportsman as long as you meet the safety requirements. A good class 10 is about twice your budget so not wanting one is a moot point anyways. If it was me I'd by a good race ready utv out of the classifieds here on RDC. They're blowing up with huge amounts of entries and tons of racing opportunities including a world championship. Racing sportsman against 3 or 4 guys won't be near as fun as racing against 30-40 other guys in utv's

I had an older alumicraft 4 seater with a turbo Subie and a 2D mendeola (cheap parts). I only preran in it and to keep her reliable and fast cost about $2.00 a mile in maintenance and that's not counting gas and money to go prerunning. I put 12,000 miles on her and spent 20k on maintenance. It takes gobs more money to race. There's some very wealthy people racing class 10, class 1, and spec TT, racing ain't cheap. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Fast Eddy

If your just staying in Texas racing, the 4 seat pre runners would probably do you well. I ran a few races down there. Your a little light on what you want to spend though for something decent. The key in TX is you want something that jumps from corner to corner. The courses are tight compared to out west. About the time you get up through the gears you have to start all over.