Want tix to the Monster/Pro Arena Truck Race Sat?

billymanfroy

Reaction
I should have 2-4 tix for the driver's seating section at Saturdays USHRA Monster Truck/Arena Truck event at Edison Field at 7:30 on Saturday night. There's a small chance I can get you in the pits, too. I know it's not Baja or Paris-Dakar, but that's life. You probably won't have to get dirty, just sit back and watch. I can even give you a handheld to listen to us.

email me at bill@hepcoblue.com if you're interested.

Brian Mapes

Reaction
Thats tight man. I would buy them but I already got seats and I have too many people with me.

WFODAN

Reaction
Billy ,

I was trying to find out who the contact was and how to enter the even with my truck ? Never could get ahold of anyone to find out . just got a list of numbers that were dead ends . Any help would be great and if you still got the tix ..... I'll take them . Even if i don't get to race , I'll help you in the pits with whatever you need . Email me at dvance@socal.rr.com .

Thanks

Dan Vance

billymanfroy

Reaction
Well, they went quick. Sorry I didn't have more because I got a lot of responses. I still might be able to get some from some of the other competitors who don't have guests, but that's pretty flaky, so be prepared to buy a ticket if you drive there at this point.

Dan Vance and sweetdevil are the ones who were quick on the draw. We're going to be there at around 12:00 or so, and you should see us in a white suburban with a white enclosed trailer. Race truck is a white Ranger #7217, and I'll be the guy in the wheelchair with the purple pimp hat. (You think I'm kidding?) Flag me down and I'll see if there's any tix left. BTW, they're free, unless soem of the other guys who I bum them from get greedy.

Then we'll party like rockstars at the Hilton next door on State College after the race. Hope you all can make it!!

Billy

jeff

Reaction
Has anyone seen the Pro Stadium course yet? I'm not a fan of Monster Trucks but wouldn't mind watching the Pro Stadium guys go at it if the course is burly enough. Anyone have more info on this event? I tried the USHRA website and only got the gate times, no event times.

Aloha

WFODAN

Reaction
Hey billy ,

It was great to meet you man , and thanks for the tickets . Your truck was looking good , and hey , to bring a desert truck into the stadium and finish in the top four was way cool . Congrats , and thanks again .

Dan Vance

sweetdevil

Reaction
Billy,
great to meet you! Thank you so much for the tix, I was very impressed! Props for being in the top four, there was definetly some competition there, and you showed a lot of drivers what was up with your hand-controlled truck! awesome!
I thought the rest of the show was ok... first time in a stadium of any type. The highlight of the night was one of the monster trucks getting high centered on the bus. We have really small monster truck shows here in Indio, three monster trucks and the local yahoos on quads for the quad wars, so this was MUCH bigger than I had seen. I was all into the quad wars last night until Dan told me it was all a rigged show... lol
The stadium was packed, all in all I had a good time, I'll be back in a few weeks for the Supercross!

<font color=red>Heaven Doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over</font color=red>

Brian Mapes

Reaction
You could totally tell they were rigged cuz when teh two captains raced they changed positions every corner. And my friend had gone to it the last five years and he told me what was going to happen before it did. The stadium protrucks were pretty tight.

billymanfroy

Reaction
Dan and Rhiannon,

Thanks for showing up, and I'm glad I finally got to meet some live people from this site... Glad you had a good time, too. I towed a looooong ways (760 miles round trip) for less than 1 mile of driving, but it's still pretty fun. I hope you saw my qualifying run where I stuffed the nose over the doubles 3 times in a row. That was ugly. They looked a lot taller and further apart (21 feet) when we did the drivers meeting, so I told myself to floor it so I wouldn't case it. I slowed down for the rest of the runs and never hit anything too hard again. Dan, you've got to try it next year, it's a blast!

Did you hear the guy read off the name of the truck "Bone Air"? I wasn't sure they'd say it but I guess they did. Man that place was packed and LOUD. When I came back for the final 4, the whole crowd was going nuts over by where I was staging. Very cool.

4th was good, but I wish I drove a little harder in the turns. I got real close to beating those two V8's, but I never figured out the corner by the waterfall, and kept losing time to them there. The gray S10 (with I-Beam suspension, BTW.) actually hit a marker, which is supposed to be 5 seconds. I talked to some of the officials later in the bar, and they were trying to give me the race after his penalty, but they decided not to penalize him, so I lost and had to come back as the fastest loser. Oh well! Still made more than enough to cover the trip, so what the hell.

Hope to see you guys again soon, and thanks again for coming. Sorry to everyone who replied and missed out. I'd like to have gotten more people in, but they're pretty tight with the freebies there.

Billy

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by billymanfroy on 01/13/03 09:14 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

sweetdevil

Reaction
I think Everyone overestimated the double on the qualifying runs. There were some pretty serious nose dives. One truck actually came up short when they came around for another jump when thier run was over... I was hoping someone would go hit that big double in the center of the field for some fun!
Thanks again, and great runs against those V8's.

<font color=red>Heaven Doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over</font color=red>

Brian Mapes

Reaction
Billy, what size is your engine. Looks like you could have one if you would have had a bigger engine. the s10 and white ranger with straight axle were going pretty fast. That was the best part of the show for me cuz the field was a little too small for the monster trucks and the quad wars were staged so it was cool to see some dezert trucks go at it.

billymanfroy

Reaction
I'm running a 2.3L with an Esslinger aluminum head and 2.5 crank. And a relatively stock C4 auto trans. You'd be amazed at how nicely built the white Ranger is that won the event. It's running a straight axle in the front and a tweaked new Mustang Cobra motor. The other guy in the S10 has a 366 CI motor. Both of them have the motors set WAY back in the cab, so neither of them would be legal in any desert series except in Class 1. The Tube Works truck is supposedly one of Rick Huseman's old trucks that I ran against when Kevin (his younger brother) drove it in a VORRA race in 2000. I expected him to take it, to tell you the truth. That's a very clean truck built just for that kind of stuff. Probably weighs 500 lbs less than mine. Anyways, I could have probably done a lot better if I just could have gotten that one corner figured out. Maybe I should have taken an extra lap like that guy in Huseman's old truck did!

Billy

Brian Mapes

Reaction
It was tight. I am sure then that if you had a v8 you would have won. the 4x4 straight axle ranger had those turns down realy good. he was sliding them perfect. whos truck was the white pre-tacoma wiht the camburg sticker?

billymanfroy

Reaction
That's Patty Hayos. She very cool and lives near to me and runs VORRA (Champ last 2 years). She was not very happy about being put out so early after the long tow, but that's racin' I guess. My main crew guy Roger actually went down with her since I don't normally do the Pro Stadium stuff.

I am looking forward to getting her out at Sacramento and/or the Desert to see how our new suspension works. Should be a blast. I hate losing to her, especially when it's my fault for breaking. Hopefully that won't happen this year and I can get back on top.

RacnCPA

Reaction
Bill, I tried to get a hold of ANYONE to cover this event for Dusty Times. I got the ok at the last minute, but there was no post on here at the time. Can you hook me up with the proper person so next time you guys can get some ink in DT? I tried emailing everyone I could and I even called some other racers. They had no idea how to get a hold of the sanctioning body. Let me know via my email or by phone please. THANK YOU. 626-653-2023 cannoncpa@earthlink.net

Sc

curt

Reaction
The series is run by Clear Channel, hit <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ushra.com>www.ushra.com</A> and follow the links to the Pro Racing Trucks for the contact information for each region. Each show has its own rep from Clear Channel and it differs race to race....Curt

VORRA Class 7

RacnCPA

Reaction
Thanks for the info. Billy hooked me up with the Clear Channel people and I should be set for the rest of the series. It's to the racers benefit to keep Dusty Times and myself informed. I do all the "extra" events and I'm sure you would want as much coverage as possible. If you can't find my info anywhere else, look in the business card section of Dusty Times.

Oh and believe me I followed ALL links and leads. The closest I got was leaving a phone message for Clear Channel and I'm still waiting for a reply, and an email sent to Patty Hayos.

Sc

billymanfroy

Reaction
My crew guys went over it a lot better than I did, but it's a 2.3 with apparently no flywheel from the sound of it. They were all amazed at how nice that truck is. I don't know the details on his engine, but you can get a crank from Esslinger that strokes it out to 2850cc, dual carbs and crankfire ignition I'd bet, too. The truck was very light which helps a lot. Motor sits in the passenger seat, and is leaned over quite a bit like a midget race car. That guy should have waxed everyone by a big margin.

If you've ever watched the Huseman's run at Crandon or somewhere, you'll know that they can make some serious ponies with those motors. I don't know if that guy still gets help from Huseman or not. The clean red ranger (Mait/Brett Cannon) had a very similar sounding motor as well.