Was it the toughest Baja 1000??

1599 codawg

This course was insane. didnt race in 2007, but this course was tough! mm 522- 650 was horrible. I know baja is supposed to be tough but this section flat out sucked! it seemed to never end.

but even though it was a crazy course...its baja..and baja is amazing

harleys dad

The Baja 1000 has gone over the summit twice el chinero twice San felipi twice up threw Mikes twice before anything was done to smooth it out Vally t twice, The 1000 has done that many times since I started in the mid 70s. In 1981 it ran a large amount of this years course basiclly backwards the silt beds at Punta Prieta sucked up to half the runners that year before they could reach el crucero, those were the worst I have experienced in Baja almost as bad as the genuin Mint silt beds run in the 70s. the 3 sisters heading back north is graded road or pavement eunning now. Baja has always been rough and tough to finish, I have herd so many times this is the toughest 1000 ever, I guess no one was at the 1976 wet and wild 1000 where it rained nearly 8 inches the night begore the start of the Baja 1000 and the race had to be postponed for 24 hours! Mark Mcmillin nearly drowned in his class 9 car after rolling. All Baja 1000 are toufg

Romanrides

Nasty. 07 was tough but this felt tougher. Not around for 2000. We got stuck and soaked in Kalamaja around 11PM, freezing by 2PM, avoided near hypothermia by warming by a locals fire. Dug in the silt for over an hour until sun up; rewarmed at Baja Pit, sucked down an energy drink and coffee and felt like a tweeker who'd pulled an all nighter, then bashed our heads in for the next 150+ miles before we broke. Lost my wallet, money, Sentri and Passport. Why cant we be like normal people and just go trout fishing? Good times!

mexgamer

I think this course was tougher than 2007. And although the 2000 was long, it was not as tough as either 2007 or 2013.

It was an awesome track. It's supposed to be hard and finishing should be an achievement. Real shame they let some classes skip the hardest parts, would be way better to extend the closing time. Kudos to SCORE for opening the VCP windows in the silt.
^^This^^

I would love to see more Baja 1000s like this one!!! In the past few years the loop Baja 1000 was just a Baja 500 + San Felipe 250 so it wasn't anything new and it wasn't that hard at all (Average speeds were in the 50s and this year they were well below 50!). The Baja 1000 HAS to be tough, that's why it is the Baja 1000!

W_Lacher

Great posts everyone, thanks for the stories and feedback. No doubt this year was tough but listening to people call it the hardest got me thinking.
The 2000 was long. You did a 1,000 miles and you were only half way done. 2007 didnt seem that much more than a typical La Paz run. There was a year in the early 80's where the course went over the summit, ran a big loop, then went up over the summit again in the dark.
One of the toughest I recall was in 1997 when it rained about 10 days straight before the race.Diablo was all water. Only way by was what is the upper road now. Just mud after mud after mud. Being wet is way worse thana nything in the dry.

Dirty Harry

2007 Baja 1000. Ensenada to Cabo, 1300 miles and went backwards through Camalu to Catavina, arguably the toughest section from this years course, aside from the silt West of El Crucero, and was 400 miles longer.
After going down there a few times to cover the race this is the first time I actually was a participant, and our section started at RM 567 near El Rosario. Not knowing what to expect because I am a noob, when we started pre-running in this section I nearly crapped my pants! It is reassuring to hear from Baja veterans that I wasn't the only one who thought this section was hard, I had no frame of reference.

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
After going down there a few times to cover the race this is the first time I actually was a participant, and our section started at RM 567 near El Rosario. Not knowing what to expect because I am a noob, when we started pre-running in this section I nearly crapped my pants! It is reassuring to hear from Baja veterans that I wasn't the only one who thought this section was hard, I had no frame of reference.
I think the best way to describe that section is tedious. Not difficult, but you had to be on your toes and be smart. Lots of places you could mess up and have a problem. Difficult would be something like race mile 710-715 to top of Mikes. That was difficult. Silt got deeper, big rocks, big hill climbs, tight turns, etc. Can't wait for the next one!

Dirty Harry

I think the best way to describe that section is tedious.
That is a good description Dan. We got in the car to run that section at 2 AM and it just felt like we weren't "racing" as fast as we would have liked (once again due to my lack of experience), but the myriad of cars and trucks littering the side of the course reminded us not to push too hard through that section.

WickedGravityVideo

in my opinion, the talent at Paris de Noche was the worst I can remember...I almost got "stuck" twice, and had to pound energy drinks to keep awake.... so.. YES, the toughest B1K I can remember:cool:\m/\m/

Seriously, I wanna know how limited classes got through the uphill cattle guard with the metal grate removed! It was halfway up the VdT Goat Trail at RM775ish --- TTs and 1s probably didn't even know it was there, but I watched bike after bike crash/stall out there.

Attachments

Jeepspeedster

Was the course intentionally selected to be more challenging? Good to mix it up a little, but this was real challenge.

PAB

40's rock!
I heard MJ in the 88 may have parked in a no parking zone for a while? True? pics?

BrentB

I heard MJ in the 88 may have parked in a no parking zone for a while? True? pics?
no pics, but I saw him way down at the bottom of a canyon @ around 650. Not looking like a place it would get out of :)

Ed and I went back and forth with you a couple times. What were your issues?

Zambo

No pics but we saw the truck off the trail on its side with lots of spare parts laying around. They created a short bottleneck trying to pull it back onto its wheels before they unhooked and let us around. Didn't look cheap or like much fun. Like Brent said it was near 645-650 after a tight right turn on a descending goat trail.

Pacololo

I thought the silt in the middle was insane!
Oh that's right. A bunch of us were forced to tuck our tinklers behind us and run the highway for an extra 50 miles...
Easiest Baja 1000 ever.

swu chase1

The Baja 1000 has gone over the summit twice el chinero twice San felipi twice up threw Mikes twice before anything was done to smooth it out Vally t twice, The 1000 has done that many times since I started in the mid 70s. In 1981 it ran a large amount of this years course basiclly backwards the silt beds at Punta Prieta sucked up to half the runners that year before they could reach el crucero, those were the worst I have experienced in Baja almost as bad as the genuin Mint silt beds run in the 70s. the 3 sisters heading back north is graded road or pavement eunning now. Baja has always been rough and tough to finish, I have herd so many times this is the toughest 1000 ever, I guess no one was at the 1976 wet and wild 1000 where it rained nearly 8 inches the night begore the start of the Baja 1000 and the race had to be postponed for 24 hours! Mark Mcmillin nearly drowned in his class 9 car after rolling. All Baja 1000 are toufg
I recall that race i was 13-14 years old oh yea thats were i meet you Dave

Pacololo

Which vehicle were you in Paco?
Stock full. Full disclosure, we went out early with computer problems. However, I pre-ran the silt in two dubya dee just before the race and IMO there was absolutely no reason to by-pass it. You don't short cut the Baja 1000 because its tough. Its supposed to be tough...

in2baja

At the risk of providing a new perspective and muddying the water...I can say that this race course was the most challenging one for MAG-7 in years.

We had four of our fourteen pits placed "wayyyy out there", MORE SO than usual... not only further apart than we wanted, but, they each required an "above and beyond" major effort to just get in and out.

One of them, with two diesel 4x4 truck's and high-clearance trailer's had to, literally, drop the trailer's off, unload everything and spend many hours shuttling fuel drums, tires, tools and people to the RM specified.

Another pit, again with a couple of manly 4x4's struggled in a 300' wide wash for miles and, ultimately, had to drop anchor or risk never making the RM.

For both of those crews, they were within 1-2 miles of specified RM, did everything within their power to "press on" then made a sound and wise decision based on many years of experience. Better to be "damn-close" than axles deep while the racers blast by!

Pitting is always a challenge, and, for MAG-7 team members, as volunteers, with an unusual hobby, we LOVE it. We love the front-row action, the chance to do good work and ALL our teams members are very, very cognizant of the fact that much faith is put on our shoulders. Next up on our plate...NORRA 2014 !!!!!!

Now...if we can just get Coco to set a more reasonable price for pit crews.....I mean...Jeez...200 bucks for two trucks...?

Bill

PAB

40's rock!
At the risk of providing a new perspective and muddying the water...I can say that this race course was the most challenging one for MAG-7 in years.

We had four of our fourteen pits placed "wayyyy out there", MORE SO than usual... not only further apart than we wanted, but, they each required an "above and beyond" major effort to just get in and out.

One of them, with two diesel 4x4 truck's and high-clearance trailer's had to, literally, drop the trailer's off, unload everything and spend many hours shuttling fuel drums, tires, tools and people to the RM specified.

Another pit, again with a couple of manly 4x4's struggled in a 300' wide wash for miles and, ultimately, had to drop anchor or risk never making the RM.

For both of those crews, they were within 1-2 miles of specified RM, did everything within their power to "press on" then made a sound and wise decision based on many years of experience. Better to be "damn-close" than axles deep while the racers blast by!

Pitting is always a challenge, and, for MAG-7 team members, as volunteers, with an unusual hobby, we LOVE it. We love the front-row action, the chance to do good work and ALL our teams members are very, very cognizant of the fact that much faith is put on our shoulders. Next up on our plate...NORRA 2014 !!!!!!

Now...if we can just get Coco to set a more reasonable price for pit crews.....I mean...Jeez...200 bucks for two trucks...?

Bill
I was super impressed with Mag7 pit locations and chuckled a bit when I saw the signs pop up in the middle of BFE. I think if people (me) knew the mission Mag7 was going to make to have those pit locations we would have signed up just for back up. Much respect

TT#16