Was postponing the Mint 400 the right call ?

J Prich

Reaction
Just curious, if the main reason is ”turtle season“ in Jean, does that apply to the original course north of Vegas including Apex and Indian land?
It's a whole different can of worms in that area. The turtle stuff would also apply to that area, but there are a whole bunch of other complications there that make that difficult as well. There's a reason no one has raced out there since like 2008 or whatever. Would be amazing though, generally speaking I think a lot of people would be really stoked to be able to have a north Vegas course again.

Tube ride

Reaction
It's a whole different can of worms in that area. The turtle stuff would also apply to that area, but there are a whole bunch of other complications there that make that difficult as well. There's a reason no one has raced out there since like 2008 or whatever. Would be amazing though, generally speaking I think a lot of people would be really stoked to be able to have a north Vegas course again.
March 28 2011, Larry roeseler won in roger normans truck !! Bj took 2 Harley in the TT killer 3 rd. Edit roeseler won 2010. Bj won 2011 last year up north

Last edited:

J Prich

Reaction
March 28 2011, Larry roeseler won in roger normans truck !! Bj took 2 Harley in the TT killer 3 rd.
Yeah couldn't remember the exact year off the top of my head, getting old. But since that last SNORE Mint, no one has raced out there. And at last one other org tried. I don't claim to know the details or backstory but again given the popularity of that area amongst racers I think it's safe to say that if it were even kind of reasonable to try to put on a race out there, someone would have done it over the last 10 years.

I spend a lot of good childhood years out there north of Vegas watching Mint 400s and would have given anything to be able to race that course ourselves but it wasn't to be. Between the challenges of working with the Moapa folks and the shrinking corridors of available space with all the solar going out there, I think it would take a Herculean effort by someone to manage to get another race in that area.

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Reaction
Instead if being annoyed at Mint you guys should be pissed at the Nevada government that has done this to our desert racing. The wrong call was electing idiots to power.

Mike
I agree 1000%.... everyone should be FURIOUS with Nevada and most of all... STOP MOVING HERE from California, Utah & Arizona!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stay in your own state!!!! You will hate it here!!

stephenrjking

Reaction
It was the right call. Making a choice on something with so many moving parts, that requires the schedules and budgets of hundreds of competitors to fall into line, is not easy. Even if they could, barely, pull this off, that was by no means a sure thing when they had to make the call. And moving things around too often, with notice that is too late, is not good for anybody and can actually hurt the event and competitors.

jon coleman

Reaction
I agree 1000%.... everyone should be FURIOUS with Nevada and most of all... STOP MOVING HERE from California, Utah & Arizona!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stay in your own state!!!! You will hate it here!!
all it takes is a couple of dedicated democrats,a couple of dominions, 3am bulk ballot-drops, &bingo, the dnc is a winna winna !

MTPyle

Reaction
Easy for you to say now. LOL You pulled off a miracle and you used up a few cat lives. If you had more hair it would have fallen out. Haha

Mike

J Prich

Reaction
In the case of the 2021 Mint happening in March, Dave is correct. Under the circumstances in Southern Nevada, the concessions would have included almost certainly having to eliminate all of the pre event festivities that take place in town and the risk was that the county and various entities STILL could have come in last minute and pulled the plug. Even if the event were scaled down to a bare bones "just the race" type of situation, there was still no assurances that the event would be given a green light, all the way up to the day before or of racing.

Those concessions and those risks, specifically the massive impact a late date shutdown would have on racers and industry partners made the decision pretty clear.

BajaFand

Reaction
In the case of the 2021 Mint happening in March, Dave is correct. Under the circumstances in Southern Nevada, the concessions would have included almost certainly having to eliminate all of the pre event festivities that take place in town and the risk was that the county and various entities STILL could have come in last minute and pulled the plug. Even if the event were scaled down to a bare bones "just the race" type of situation, there was still no assurances that the event would be given a green light, all the way up to the day before or of racing.

Those concessions and those risks, specifically the massive impact a late date shutdown would have on racers and industry partners made the decision pretty clear.
I think the right decision was made although I think even you must admit the hype that the mint generates will be worn out on everyone by the time next February rolls around. And this is coming from someone who doesn’t mind that hype. I’d be worried a 80% turnout December mint would lead to a low turnout 2022 mint as well instead of just taking the year off and having a huge welcome back 2022 event.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I think the right decision was made although I think even you must admit the hype that the mint generates will be worn out on everyone by the time next February rolls around. And this is coming from someone who doesn’t mind that hype. I’d be worried a 80% turnout December mint would lead to a low turnout 2022 mint as well instead of just taking the year off and having a huge welcome back 2022 event.
Based on the assumption that we know what 2022 looks like. We don't.