Washing race suit????

gabe928

Reaction
Ok so i have a questian about how you wash your race suit. What is the proper way to wash them? What happens if you just stick them in normal washer and wash them that way? Is it still good or no?? Please help

Brock_Beeson

Reaction
race suit will hold up in the washer.. but agitation cant be good for detailed stitch work and have seen molecule. never used it. sounds legit.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Never wash a race suit! They will fade and look like crap and most important washing them ruins them. Dry clean them and they look new every time!

Tipracer

Reaction
I thought that on non nomex suits(the chemically treated ones) you were not to dry clean them...and that washing Nomex with a hose/laying them flat to dry was OK???What gives...Where is the off-road instruction book???

9Iron

Reaction
Was told wash delicate cycle, medium-to-high water level,
cold water, non-chlorine soap, drip dry.
(hard to find that kind of soap)
ended up using a hand soap w/o chlorine.
some wash it in the machine, cold water, no soap, drip dry.
Not to pack it up until completely dry...

Wendell #527

Reaction
Some race suits say to dry clean only, while others say clean them regularly. I bought mine at McKenzies, and they are not the super-high dollar ones, but they are washable in regular wash. My wife just uses warm water and they look great. They do shrink a little each time they're washed, though. The suits I used to use were more money, and the tag said to dry clean only. I didn't like them as well comfort wise, either.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
From the Sparco website...

How do I clean / wash my firesuit?

Sparco recommends dry cleaning your suit to preserve the life of your safety garment for as long as possible. Your Sparco Race suit should be treated with the same respect as your Sunday Suit. After each driving session, please remove the suit whenever possible and hang dry to remove moisture and to prevent grease/oil from staining the suit while working on your car.

Washing instructions: If you wash your suit, Sparco recommends hand washing or washing it on a delicate cycle in the washing machine with COLD water. Please make sure that the belt and collar are closed on the suit, to prevent the velcro from causing damage to the nomex fabric. Woolite soap is recommended as it is a non-abrasive detergent. DO NOT use bleach or anything similar. When drying the suit, always let the suit drip dry, indoors (out of the sunlight).

Josh_Westwood

Reaction
I've heard that washing can mess with the integrity of the suit. For me, I have a lower end suit and if I was to dry clean it everytime I used it and/or got it dirty, I would've paid more in dry cleaning than just buying another suit at the end of the year. So the black is some what faded, I don't care.

gabe928

Reaction
Sweet thanks a lot everyone for all the info.

Sparky

Reaction
From the Sparco website...
Never had a problem following those directions from Sparco. Cold water, gentle cycle with a gentle detergent. I also run it through a 2nd rinse. 3 years old and still looks and feels great.

Wendell #527

Reaction
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
I threw away my bathroom scale a long time ago, too. It was messed up. Every time I weighed it showed a higher number, and it just wouldn't stay consistent over the weeks. So instead of spending alot of money to get it fixed, I just threw it out and everything was fine.

lvzfyr

Reaction
Would it be beneficial if a company who professionally cleans firefighting gear with the Specialized machines and with a cleaning solution that is recommended by everyone from the Nomex fiber manufacture all the way up to the manufacturer of Firefighting clothing itself to be at races in Contingency and set you up with either a shipping container to send your suit in to get cleaned after the race or wait around until after and collect them up and wash and ship back to you? Could even do repairs on velcro, stitching, zippers, cuts, etc... What does it cost to dry clean a suit?

Attachments

51rcr

Reaction
Would it be beneficial if a company who professionally cleans firefighting gear with the Specialized machines and with a cleaning solution that is recommended by everyone from the Nomex fiber manufacture all the way up to the manufacturer of Firefighting clothing itself to be at races in Contingency and set you up with either a shipping container to send your suit in to get cleaned after the race or wait around until after and collect them up and wash and ship back to you? Could even do repairs on velcro, stitching, zippers, cuts, etc... What does it cost to dry clean a suit?
depends on place and all $8-19 l like to take mine to a local place that does and used to military flight suits. Also the cheapest
If washed at home, gentle cycle zipped up and Velcro closed and woolite hang dry
Local circle track guy had a rock hit and broke his helmet and shield (Carbon/lexan). Knocked him unconscious and concussion. Bad cut also. Dry cleaner still need to do some hands on water based stuff to get I clean.
I had a suit cover in silt and sweat, couldn't get to cleaners so just gentle washed and woolite and it still needed lots more cleaning, but it didn't smell.
Call and ask first. Some cleaners don't know about them or want to mess with them.

Last edited: