• Forum membership has its advantages....

Water crossings

MTPyle

At the Silver state there were a couple water crossings. We deiced to go slow and not risk any electronics damage or worse. But looking at the videos we got from Tuba its painful to watch us go so slow. (yes I know this video is slow mo, LOL)

Whats your guys opinion on speed through water crossings during a race?

Mike

PS Too bad there was not a water crossing when we caught on fire. LOL

Last edited:

stewwalker

Serious question. Why do I always see desert race type trucks stalling out in water crossings? Does no one build wiring harnesses with waterproof connections? Are intake designs so open, water immediately gets sucked in? I know the trucks are designed for water, but with all that money spent...

swiftracing5

I was serious about the water temp! Have you ever crossed cold water at night in November and been shivering all night? It could end your race.

VWs have trouble in water because the spark plugs are pretty low. I know because I’ve thrown away a race that way.

Is the back of your dash sealed? Where is your ECU in relation to the water level?

There are a lot of reasons why I’ve always gone slow.

jon coleman

my first car was a bug, first book i bought was that' how to off road vw book,' firgot exact name, but the pictures were cool, anywho, book says silicone, ziptie, silicone, dielectrick grease, clean& sealed, repeat.cold water does suck, also, when its raining water crossings can be Dangerous! videos of failed crossings out there??, water falls into the ' go slow in the slow part of dezert racing in my book.ps, other trick is to think like h2o, face connectors down, try to aim all components were water goes over, down& away like roof shingles, vent low points, i use a simple rubber flap rivetet to low points , water accumulation can cause elec issues , stay dry

Zambo

I was serious about the water temp! Have you ever crossed cold water at night in November and been shivering all night? It could end your race.

VWs have trouble in water because the spark plugs are pretty low. I know because I’ve thrown away a race that way.

Is the back of your dash sealed? Where is your ECU in relation to the water level?

There are a lot of reasons why I’ve always gone slow.
We got wet going through Frog Canyon several years ago in the 1000. I thought we were going to freaking die. It was probably in the 40s later that night and the LS motor in our truck simply wouldn't get hot enough to come close to drying us off. Finally I had to pull over at someone's campfire by Catavina and we huddled next to that fire for almost half an hour trying to stave off hypothermia. It sucked.

In addition to the cold, our intercom and radio went tits up for several hours so we couldn't talk to each other much less anybody else. At least everything else in the truck operated ok. Until we broke the frame that is.

TJERGENSEN

Kyle charged into that same crossing in 2018 ss300 locked up the tt motor and that was 50 gs down the river. He went slow this year in the 6100 that worked out better

MTPyle

Before the race I heard stories of truck getting water in the intake and hydro locking. Lots of stories about failed comms and electrical issues after water crossing.

I didn’t think about the cold. It was colder at night and I am sure the water was cold.

I just don’t know in a 300 mile race if it’s worth the risk. But I might be being a wussy. We pushed where we could and took it easy in water.

Overall desert racing is all choices and analyzing risk vs reward. We are trying to find a good balance. I was curious what others thought. We never saw any other trucks go thru the water but since there were so many photographers at the water I assume most guys are hauling thru there.

Mike

brad inch

i hit a water crossing in caliente that was coming off the snow.and i blacked out in 3rd or 4th gear,woke up just in time to hit another one.yes it was cold.you wont see that in nascar

Bro-Dozer Motorsports

I've always leaned on the side of caution when it comes to water crossings. Sure the trucks I've driven can handle the water but when the seat gets wet and your suit is wet it's just really uncomfortable for the next couple hours. Not to mention it soaks your helmet then you run back into the dust and now you have a muddy helmet that you can't get clean because you just soaked all the rags.

But if there are camera guys.... disregard the above and go for it!! haha

ACME

IMO the only reasons to hard charge water are: 1) Severe catheter failure or you realize you can't do the 4-5 hours after partying all night and pissed yourself multiple times and also needed to sober up 2) Co Driver puked for 4 hours and your doing them a favor just before the finish line pics or a driver change 3) You are driving someone else's car who adamantly said "Don't piss in the seat" and see #1...

offroadracer516

A few years ago it rained at the SNORE caliente race for most of the day. We were sitting in staging in a torrential down poor. The car sounded great. I was revving it up. Figured we were good to go. About a mile off the start I was CHARGING. Hit the first huge water puddle at full speed. Water came up over the car and directly down onto the engine. Started to sputter and proceeded to die as soon as we crossed the first real river crossing. The car was sitting in the river with the motor barely out of the water. Drying it off was impossible at this point. It was still raining and every car that came by after us was splashing more water onto the motor. We water proofed both cars the exact same that year. My car drowned immediately. My brother went onto take 2nd in the race. He slowed way down for that huge water puddle I blasted through. I should of too lol. To me its a tossup and risk to blast through water at speed no matter what you are driving.
13415455_1041203662599608_8984410224279595355_o.jpg
13443083_1787855621443793_911390612322556247_o.jpg
13495634_1787857508110271_1282657307435485883_o.jpg

13418428_1365982683428817_3766570291773778756_o.jpg

snoreracer

1st thing is water proof everything and after you have done that take a water hose and put it on the distributor , if it blubbers water proof again . I hit the water crossings in Caliente at 65 and downshift never lifting. I went by Rob Mac one year and drowned him in his 1600
cal345.jpg

Journee

Caliente 1.PNG

Waterproof everything. And bring lots of dry rags in bags haha its worth the extra effort and silicone.