Water Wetter

ATS 89 Yota

Reaction
Worth the money? All hype or does it actually work?

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Every motor I have taken apart where it was used was full of chalky white crap in the water passages. Would not recommend.

07FJRog

Reaction
Every motor I have taken apart where it was used was full of chalky white crap in the water passages. Would not recommend.

I ran it for several years in my Northstar powered sandcar, never any issues or discoloration. I also used it with Gm recommended coolant, ( about half of normal qty)

BTW, it will run cooler with just water and water wetter, No antifeeze.

I prefer Engine Ice, but it get pricey for a larger motor

Tipracer

Reaction
I was under the impression that the only reason to use this stuff was on drag cars where they were not allowed to use antifreeze.

Tipracer

Reaction
wonder if that was because they didnt use distilled water...chaulky reside=hard water?

racer56

Reaction
I have run water mixed with water wetter for 10 + years and could not be happier. Engines definitely run cooler with just water and water wetter added. The purpose of running water wetter is to prevent internal corrosion from just straight water, no anti freeze.

07FJRog

Reaction
I have run water mixed with water wetter for 10 + years and could not be happier. Engines definitely run cooler with just water and water wetter added. The purpose of running water wetter is to prevent internal corrosion from just straight water, no anti freeze.
Yup,

it does more too , it reduces the vapor bubbles in the water jackets to ensure the maximum water molocules run along the surfaces and draw heat away.

jrtorres

Reaction
yep it works....and the white residue mentioned above is from another sourse. we usually run 20 degrees cooler using it

mebuildit

Reaction
We run Napa Cool (Napa Auto) in our cars. Seems to work better that Water Wetter does comparing the two.

Might give it a try for your application.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
I heard that the water wetter like the Redline all it does is reduce the friction of the water at the radiator. I dont know how true this is but I have run it in the past and didnt notice a difference.

GHARACING

Reaction
every time we prep or drain the radiator we always add a bottle. seems to run a tad bit cooler. our motor always runs cool though.

classified

Reaction
It works great, I run it in everything.

Basically what it does, is break the surface tension of the water thus giving maximum surface area to dissipate heat. It also has a lubricant to help out your seals.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Yep it works great. All of the teams I have worked for have always used it and never had any problems. Just run it and distilled water, no coolant.

scottm

Reaction
It exists mainly because race cars of all kinds are not allowed to run coolant. It provides corrosion protection, lubrication for the water pump seal, and a detergent to reduce water surface tension, which reduces trapped bubbles and improves thermal transfer. As everyone else said, with good water it does work, and it will help when using coolant too. Only downside is it has no freezing protection, so it is only for warm conditions.

Sparky

Reaction
Just run a propylene based coolant. Sierra is one of the brands at auto parts stores. It has better heat transfer qualities than ethylene based coolant. Sure you can use Engine Ice (which is propylene based) if you like spending 4x more than you need to. Run it at about 40% coolant and 60% distilled water.

jrtorres

Reaction
Another option is Justice Brothers.....we have switched to that recently and in 7 different cars! all perform just as well as the water wetter which is much more expensive. As a side note (sorry to hi-jack) We have switched alot of things around the shop to justice brothers...they even have a "wd-40" type oil that works better than wd..and all of it is loads less money for just as good performance IMO..