Watered-down version of a Class 1 Buggy based on a Sand Rail?

Stingray63Vette

Hey all! Just a quick question of viability here, might pursue a project depending on experienced advice. I have access to a garage with all amenities, and I'm not too worried about cost.

What do you guys think of converting a higher-end sand rail to a buggy? I'm talking redoing suspension so that the A-arms meet in the middle, Fox shocks all around, the works.

On a side note, I have a chance to get a running salvage 1300cc Hayabusa GSX engine. Thoughts on slamming in the back of this converted sand rail buggy? (I'm worried about low-end torque)

Stingray63Vette

Well then. Main reason I came up with this, by the way, was to get into tinkering around with the machines more. I'm good with prerunners, but the full custom stuff is fun. Relatively cheaper than a real Class 1, you know what I mean?

Mike321

What is your end goal? A car to race or just play with?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Stingray63Vette

Yeah, just play with, maybe drive down to local meets and such. Maybe chase for a friend's team, too. I love the truggy setups of the Unlimited Class, like the one Casie Curry ran with the Jeep styling. That, and it's be quite a lot of fun to build rather than buy.

biggjim

The only way your going to get any torque out of the Busa is to run a gear reduction box. If feasble and guys are getting great power out of the busa but when you are working with motorcycle power everything has to be small...Weight is not your friend. For desert recreation I think its a bad idea...for a dune car go for it. You would be far better off building something with v8 power for the desert.

Stingray63Vette

Yup, I thought about that much. I think I found what kind of project I'm going for: a bare-essentials Tatum Sand Truck. It's like a sand rail mixed with a prerunner buggy. The garage I have a personal connection with likes the idea of chopping up an old long travel Ranger project and making it into this, minus $135k from its price tag.

What do you guys think? They have full fabrication capabilities and experience doing complex work. I figure I can score a relatively nice Ranger for about 8-10k, all the adapter parts for 2k, and the rest go straight to building the tube frame up off the truck original frame. I'll put out some CAD stuff if you guys want to take a look at my designs currently in progress.

Steve Marolda

DO IT!! Anything for some fun and a few laughs. Make sure to take lots of pics. Nothing about this sport says it has to make sense.

Stingray63Vette

Wow, Steve. You're now the coolest person on this forum. Thanks!

I'm a student mechanical engineer, so this what I do- I'll definitely record the entire thing. I suppose I could make a build thread. I've been waiting to do something like this for a while now, and I have the funding/resources/most of the know-how.

This'll be a learning experience no matter what, though.I think I can count on some people here for advice every so often. Give me a while and I'll put out a full overview, including what I have, what I need, and the process/costs. (Which will most likely end up being twice what I thought if I don't plan right)

Stingray63Vette

Okay, here's the very first version of the overview. This is a link to the file you can open in your browser. If anyone's actually interested and has the time, you can shoot down my hypotheses starting now!:D

Seriously though, I appreciate all of your advice and hope this intrigues you guys! I'm a student still, so this project will take a while and will grow as I continue to build up my budget. My freelance work pays well, but takes a while to complete.

Anyways, check it out and have a good day. Your advice and experience aren't something I can find everywhere.

Edit: The idea has changed a lot since I created this thread. I'll create a separate build thread if it looks like I should.

Stingray63Vette

@MC Performance, I thought about as much. You seem to know engines professionally, so I'd like to ask you something. I read that Rangers don't cope well with tire sizes over 37 inches because their 210hp/238 ft/lb engines just can't turn tires that large. What do you think is a good general area to guestimate tires sizes for now?

pwerwagn

Go over to minibuggy.net and check out all the motorcycle powered buggies there. There were a few companies building “class 10” style cars with busa motors, Sinister probably being the pinnacle of the bunch.

Also look for a build thread named “zehn”. It was a class 10 car with a ZX14 motor that a buddy built and we raced a few times. His user name is standfast (he’s here on rdc as well). It documents pretty well the issues we had trying to make the chain driving the FNR box survive. Oil baths, all kinds of ideas. We never got the chain to survive so the car got converted to an ecotec/CVT.

Good luck with your BSME. ;-)

Stingray63Vette

I recognize much of what you're talking about, actually! I've designed multiple systems to combat potential failures one might see while installing a chain drive on a vehicle with an open diff. They're resting only on paper now. Might have to CAD those out too. (Absolutely love the Alumni Craft buggies though)

This is my favorite side of the forum here, where you guys with years of experience get over my lack of it and help out :D

I appreciate every bit of info!

partybarge_pilot

Chains are the downfall of MC powerplants. THe best thing to do is turn them sideways and put a drive shaft on them. The next hurdle is gearing and reverse. A Busa with a turner will be putting out about 570FTLB's of torque at the output shaft in first gear. Not something to take lightly.

MC@ Performance Fab

That first gear and huge torque idea doesn't really work in the real world, in reality the car will simply move forward and then your huge number goes out the window. 37s are real big, real heavy, and hard on drivetrain.

gawdodirt

Actually, a few years ago, there was a car called a Chenowth Arrow. It was all A-arm, with a Suzuki 1400. It was fast as hell, but, sadly, never caught on. I saw it at a Parker 400 race in contingency.

Broncomania

Tom Pro Design built 10 car about 6 years ago with Busa power.He usually builds cars for Glamis that have suspension travel around 20 inches and include his own reversing box that includes gear reduction and a drop drive.Most of the builds are turbo charged with power around 300 hp.He left the turbo off per class rules and ended up with an 1800 lb car on 33 tires.It ran a couple of the lesser series races and did quite well.It definitely was low on torque off the line.The chain drive has been reliable and you can't beat a six speed sequential.With a turbo it would be a rocket.The motor transmission combo are less than 2 grand on E-Bay.Surprised no one else has tried this combo.