Wayne Matloc challenge

GBRACER

Reaction
So Wayne just finished 30th in the Baja 1000, had to work thru all the 12. 10. and almost all the 1 cars,, imagine if he did not have all that trafic to deal with how far up the rankings he really could finish,....
Makes you think a little, gone are the days of them being called "golfcarts" respect is due there is no arguing the results they are putting down.

I would like to see the next Baja start order go from the previous years finish order, regardless of classes.
Let the fast guys shine.

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
Gone are the days of actual "golfcarts". The competitive golfcarts have as many OEM parts as a 6100 truck. Actual "golfcarts" tend to roll over everywhere and clog the course as they know their blue light means race cars can't touch them.......despite their size and power being equivalent to a 10 or 12 car. In my opinion, if they want to race up front, take the blue light off. Not hating, but it is what it is.

BTW, Wayne and his wife kick ass!

Last edited:

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
They are very impressive but some like me will always call them golf cats not our of disrespect but because that's what I like to call them...lol

ltr450rider

Reaction
I would like to see the next Baja start order go from the previous years finish order, regardless of classes.
Let the fast guys shine.
Sorry, but this is a pretty bad idea. Fast drivers will still win the class they are racing in even if they get temporarily held/slowed up by vehicles starting in front of their class.

There are 3-5 "fast" UTV drivers that can actually race and compete with the faster trucks/buggy's, then you will have 35-50 donkeys who entered their first desert race blocking the faster, heavier trucks/buggy's starting behind them, guess who will lose that nerf battle!

The Spec Truck/Class 10 debate at least holds water from both sides as they are somewhat equally matched classes in terms of driver talent and speeds.

Nessy

Reaction
Gone are the days of actual "golfcarts". The competitive golfcarts have as many OEM parts as a 6100 truck. Actual "golfcarts" tend to roll over everywhere and clog the course as they know their blue light means race cars can't touch them.......despite their size and power being equivalent to a 10 or 12 car. In my opinion, if they want to race up front, take the blue light off. Not hating, but it is what it is.

Except for the last sentence this couldn't be more incorrect.

DezRacer25

Reaction
He actually finished 23 if you take the bikes and quads out of it which started up front with no car traffic.

DezRacer25

Reaction
Maybe He could join the Class 1 guys and start with them. There were only two of those that finished in front of him. That golf cart could probably pass as a one car.

DeRaRa

Reaction
If he really wants to be challenged, he should install a truck body on his golf cart and enter in Trophy Truck Class.

wayne matlock

Reaction

Wow!!! I just saw this and thank you for the kind words. But I do have to correct BIGBLUE&GOLDIE, you could not be more wrong about the parts we run. We run a complete OE box stock motor, OE trans, OE drive train, OE front diff, OE CV's, OE brakes, OE power steering, OE spindles, knuckles and hubs. Pules a bunch more!!
And we have not ran a blue light all year, I was a big opponent of the blue light. You really need to do some more research before making statements.

As far as moving up in the starting order goes, that is surely going to happen. We beat the 1st class 10 car by almost 1 1/2 hours, but do I think we should start in front of them, NO.... I know this track favored the capability's of the UTV's over the class 10's, and a lot of the 10's had issues. But we have been getting closer every race.
Now I do think its about time we start right behind the 10 cars. We have been consistently beating all of the other classes every race and it's about time that we start in front of them. No offence to anyone, but the UTV's are just more capable then the other classes. in my opinion the starting order should be as follows, TT, Class 1, TT spec, Class 10, then the UTV's.

biggjim

Reaction

Thats pretty far from true..... Our car has all the stock brakes & components, hubs, bearing carriers, drive components, all stock electrical components with racpak data logging, all stock engine and intake and exhaust components. Theres alot of guys changing alot of this...but wizbang parts create wizbang problems.

biggjim

Reaction
The Golf carts need to be moved up...but i dont think I would put them in front of 10 cars by no means...

biggjim

Reaction
Sorry, but this is a pretty bad idea. Fast drivers will still win the class they are racing in even if they get temporarily held/slowed up by vehicles starting in front of their class.

There are 3-5 "fast" UTV drivers that can actually race and compete with the faster trucks/buggy's, then you will have 35-50 donkeys who entered their first desert race blocking the faster, heavier trucks/buggy's starting behind them, guess who will lose that nerf battle!

The Spec Truck/Class 10 debate at least holds water from both sides as they are somewhat equally matched classes in terms of driver talent and speeds.
Theres more than 3-5 fast guys....but yea there is a group within the golf cart association that are on a little different level that some of the rest

SummerTime

Reaction
Every time there is a race and a UTV does exceptionally well, someone gets on here and talks about how the term "golf cart" is disrespectful. I see it as mostly a term of endearment now, just like everyone who doesn't drive a truck is considered a "buggy dork". We're all just having fun, and like the oversized children we are, the more you dislike it the more we want to say it :)
I definitely think Wayne and his teams accomplishment is noteworthy, which i think should be the real point of this thread. I was blown away when i looked through the overall results. Congratulations guys, you beat almost everyone

biggjim

Reaction
Every time there is a race and a UTV does exceptionally well, someone gets on here and talks about how the term "golf cart" is disrespectful. I see it as mostly a term of endearment now, just like everyone who doesn't drive a truck is considered a "buggy dork". We're all just having fun, and like the oversized children we are, the more you dislike it the more we want to say it :)
I definitely think Wayne and his teams accomplishment is noteworthy, which i think should be the real point of this thread. I was blown away when i looked through the overall results. Congratulations guys, you beat almost everyone
I dont think there are too many guys in the UTV class that care if they are called golf carts....hell Jagged X brought their golf clubs thru T&C

wayne matlock

Reaction
Theres more than 3-5 fast guys....but yea there is a group within the golf cart association that are on a little different level that some of the rest
Yeah, I think there are about 8-10 on the tour that can wheel a car really well!!!

Last edited:

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
Wow!!! I just saw this and thank you for the kind words. But I do have to correct BIGBLUE&GOLDIE, you could not be more wrong about the parts we run. We run a complete OE box stock motor, OE trans, OE drive train, OE front diff, OE CV's, OE brakes, OE power steering, OE spindles, knuckles and hubs. Pules a bunch more!!
And we have not ran a blue light all year, I was a big opponent of the blue light. You really need to do some more research before making statements.

As far as moving up in the starting order goes, that is surely going to happen. We beat the 1st class 10 car by almost 1 1/2 hours, but do I think we should start in front of them, NO.... I know this track favored the capability's of the UTV's over the class 10's, and a lot of the 10's had issues. But we have been getting closer every race.
Now I do think its about time we start right behind the 10 cars. We have been consistently beating all of the other classes every race and it's about time that we start in front of them. No offence to anyone, but the UTV's are just more capable then the other classes. in my opinion the starting order should be as follows, TT, Class 1, TT spec, Class 10, then the UTV's.
Hey wayne,

No disrespect meant to you guys as I probably followed your race closer than anyone's last week. There are guys like you that run more "stock" than others and dominate (Sims is the same way) because you can drive. There are also race UTV's that I've worked on that literally the only stock parts were the motor (tuned, big injectors, etc.) and trans (300m internals and cryo treated). I like UTV racing, but the rules around it need to change to keep up with the changes in the UTV's themselves. 180hp is the same as an EcoTec, 33" tires (32" on the sidewall) is bigger than what a 1600 car runs, 20"+ of travel is more than a few classes, etc. Why should a 1600 car that's a course tampon be open for nerfing when a far more capable UTV has a blue light? I also think you guys should be moved up in the starting grid, but only after the rules are adjusted.

biggjim

Reaction
Hey wayne,

No disrespect meant to you guys as I probably followed your race closer than anyone's last week. There are guys like you that run more "stock" than others and dominate (Sims is the same way) because you can drive. There are also race UTV's that I've worked on that literally the only stock parts were the motor (tuned, big injectors, etc.) and trans (300m internals and cryo treated). I like UTV racing, but the rules around it need to change to keep up with the changes in the UTV's themselves. 180hp is the same as an EcoTec, 33" tires (32" on the sidewall) is bigger than what a 1600 car runs, 20"+ of travel is more than a few classes, etc. Why should a 1600 car that's a course tampon be open for nerfing when a far more capable UTV has a blue light? I also think you guys should be moved up in the starting grid, but only after the rules are adjusted.
I havent been to a baja race with our team in 2 years but when I was going with ditched the blue light. it wasnt in scores rules so we dropped the 5 extra pounds.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
Hey wayne,

UTV's in SCORE currently DO NOT run blue lights. No blue lights. BTW...the light in the picture (below) is disabled for SCORE

Last edited:

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I think the UTV class has fully embraced the whole 'golf cart' thingy.

IMG_1025.JPG