Wayne Matloc challenge

bajataxi

Reaction
Settle the dispute by entering as a class 1! Request a rear start. let the chips fall (or let the parts fall ) where they fall. Having raced class 1 and owning a can am. I can tell you one thing for sure. The golf cart is driven like a real golf cart (wide open) with no respect given. Now the class 1 demands reckless abandon with respect.

swiftracing5

Reaction
We were at Pete’s camp Monday night talking to someone who was racing and had 6 too many margaritas after their prerun. He was spouting off that there was a score rumor that utvs were starting after the TTs. We all laughed but come to think about it, not the craziest idea. Would be cool if one of them showed up to sema to qualify next year.

Robin Hood

Reaction
We run a complete OE box stock motor, OE trans, OE drive train, OE front diff, OE CV's, OE brakes, OE power steering, OE spindles, knuckles and hubs. Pules a bunch more!!

Our car has all the stock brakes & components, hubs, bearing carriers, drive components, all stock electrical components with racpak data logging, all stock engine and intake and exhaust components.

I think your statements are probably a little mis-leading? I have a really hard time belieiving that none of these parts of been modified or prepped in a differant manner than stock. Drive train includes the clutch and axles...are you stating that you are running the stock OEM clutch assembly and OEM axles?

I can believe that you are running a stock motor, but the Trans and front diff... Are they completly stock internals? How often are you replacing or rebuilding. Are you rebuilding with all OEM parts...I think not.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I can't speak for Wayne, but in our case (2017 B1K winning RZR UTV) we are (and were) running a stock motor, trans, front diff (yes stock internals) brakes, prop shafts, ecu, speedometer, wiring harness, etc. We even run the stock exhaust! The team does run different axles and CV's and the primary clutch is aftermarket. But they ^^^^ are correct (above) that these cars run more stock components than most think. The OEM's make tough chit, particularly Polaris. BTW...I just read a press release that said Wayne Matlock won the overall points championship...including trophy trucks for 2018.

Last edited:

Nessy

Reaction
I can't speak for Wayne, but in our case (2017 B1K winning RZR UTV) we are (and were) running a stock motor, trans, front diff (yes stock internals) brakes, prop shafts, ecu, speedometer, wiring harness, etc. We even run the stock exhaust! The team does run different axles and CV's and the primary clutch is aftermarket. But they ^^^^ are correct (above) that these cars run more stock components than most think. The OEM's make tough chit, particularly Polaris. BTW...I just read a press release that said Wayne Matlock won the overall points championship...including trophy trucks for 2018.

I believe Rob Mac congratulated them on social media for this Championship

NIKAL

Reaction

Also to add what was said, All chassis are built off of the stock platform. The rules require that you must keep the lower frame rails. Suspension pivot points are required to be stock OEM and in the stock locations. And surprisingly most run stock shock mounts & locations, even though they can relocate them.

harleys dad

Reaction
I dont care what they call them 4x4 is the secret, he would never have caught the lead 10s had they not been stuck in the silt with out 4x4 huge advantage. He did great but when the entire 10 class is stuck its easy to see why. I have gotten my turbo on level ground to over 100, which is fast

cw_mi

Reaction
I'm really floored to hear many are using OEM components. I would have thought for sure suspension components would be aftermarket. As well as clutches, at minimum a billet secondary and remachined primary.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Robin Hood

Reaction
I'm really floored to hear many are using OEM components. I would have thought for sure suspension components would be aftermarket. As well as clutches, at minimum a billet secondary and remachined primary.

They are...the truth is being fudged a little here. Keep in mind who the sponsors are and what they are paid to say.

mgobaja

Reaction
I think the UTV class has fully embraced the whole 'golf cart' thingy.

View attachment 196405
I have joked for a few years that they should get to a certain spot on course, stop the clock and have a long drive / hole in one contest. Winner of that gets a healthy time credit. Also the same for TT drivers, make them get out and run a mile or something, since many of them are athletes.

Nessy

Reaction

Of course most are running after market a arms and trailing arms and Jagged said the run a aftermarket primary. I would guess many would put good bearings in the trans but the top sponsered teams probably just put in a new trans. They come with high quality shocks so unless they are sponsored by King or Walker you just need a custom spring and revalve. Some super fast guys like Brandon Sims just do a race cage and sides. The Textron guys are just welding the stock cage and adding sides in most cases. Of course there are many teams that are doing custom frame up builds but aren't really gaining any advantage except they are probably safer.

Zac Reish

Reaction
I have a friend who races class 10, owns a utv that can’t even finish a pre run lap without problems. Maybe he should get all stock oarts

swiftracing5

Reaction
I have a friend who races class 10, owns a utv that can’t even finish a pre run lap without problems. Maybe he should get all stock oarts

This friend probably drives it like his class 10?

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
If we’re talking about where classes belong and where they don’t belong, I’ll chime in.

Rob beat the lead bike despite the penalty and the lead bike had 4 extra hours of daylight and clean air all day and night. If you did that 380-480 loop you know how valuable clean air and daylight was. I had multiple encounters with motorcycles, some of which were very scary. I’m a very cautious driver, too.

If we can’t agree on that, then at least the Pro Bike class aka 1X (7x) up front. Sportsman and Ironman riders should NOT be up front anymore.

Excellent job to Wayne and his team and congratulations on the Overall SCORE Championship!

Last edited:

Baja Bryan

Reaction
X2 On Matlocks order..... TT, Class 1, TT spec, Class 10, then the UTV's. Also remember no one pushed matlock at the finish his time could have been faster. I would be worried about starting UTV in front of Spec TT.