Wayne Matloc challenge

Zac Reish

Reaction
I agree. Start the fast finishing class where they finished for the following race. The cream will rise to the top.

Wendell #527

Reaction
Website
www.riff-raffdesertracing.com
Starting entire CLASSES in order they finished would work, but I’ve heard some say use the starting order of the previous race, regardless of class. That would not work. A fast TT or 1 car has a bad day and limps around one race, then the next race he’d start in the back and have to punt his way through the whole field. Thank God NORRA realized that and put really fast guys up the order on day 2 even though they finished way back. That went against their rule but it was a great decision, common sense.

Zambo

Reaction
To a point the above is true, however I can tell you it’s frustrating to be leading your class after 3-4 days of racing because you are driving a smart pace only to have so-called “faster” guys put in front of you at the starting line.

Shifting gears, I race my CanAm prerunner in Norra with completely stock drivetrain from the engine to the hubs. The only thing I’d upgrade if I were going to run it in SCORE is the front axle shafts. Most of my beef upgrades are gussets, suspension links, and skid plate. It’s the sheet metal on these cars that needs attention more than the spinning gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baja Dad

Reaction
If we’re talking about where classes belong and where they don’t belong, I’ll chime in.

Rob beat the lead bike despite the penalty and the lead bike had 4 extra hours of daylight and clean air all day and night.

No Rob did Not have the fastest time! 7X won the Overall at the Baja 1000

( PS. )7X also did not have a ROLL Cage around him or did he have 4-40" tires under him or did he have 20 LED lights on the front of the bike.

Dan you and your family have been this sport along time Have some respect for the Bikes PLEASE!!!!!
if it was not for the Bikes there would be no TT's

wayne matlock

Reaction
I think your statements are probably a little mis-leading? I have a really hard time belieiving that none of these parts of been modified or prepped in a differant manner than stock. Drive train includes the clutch and axles...are you stating that you are running the stock OEM clutch assembly and OEM axles?

I can believe that you are running a stock motor, but the Trans and front diff... Are they completly stock internals? How often are you replacing or rebuilding. Are you rebuilding with all OEM parts...I think not.

My post was in regards to the statement made by someone claiming that we had as many OEM parts on our car as as a 6100 truck. You definitely took my statement out of context. Do we run all those OEM parts that I listed and more, YES!!! Are some of them modifide for racing, YES!!! My point was that we run a ton of OEM parts as well as over the counter parts. We do things like Cryo Heating parts and replace some of the bairings in the transmission, but for the most part they are OEM supplied parts.

wayne matlock

Reaction
We were at Pete’s camp Monday night talking to someone who was racing and had 6 too many margaritas after their prerun. He was spouting off that there was a score rumor that utvs were starting after the TTs. We all laughed but come to think about it, not the craziest idea. Would be cool if one of them showed up to sema to qualify next year.
The UTV's have come a long way in a short time. No matter what class, you are all ways going to have people make clams about their race cars and their teams abilities to perform that just aren't true. I believe the racing and the results should make the statements about ones abilities.
The funny part is that a UTV would probably do well on the short course against the TT's. But in the open desert we are no match for a TT, TT spec, class 1, but we are getting closer to the 10's. Still not there, but closer!!

Last edited:

Anger Issues

Reaction
Sportsman and Ironman riders should NOT be up front anymore.

I completely agree but let me expand on this. As a guy who races a lower budget/slower class, BUT pays the money to go "PRO" racing and for money (whenever anybody else shows up in Class 3 4x4), we sit for hours waiting at that starting line waiting for our turn to go play. I am not complaining about where we start in this thread (that's below). But in my opinion anyone who wants to race sportsman, should be behind all the pro classes, so we can get off the line before 1 in the afternoon. Wouldn't you (bikes) rather be behind the cars and TT's and not looking over your shoulder 200 miles in, like so many seemed to be doing (according the crappy-ass tracker, anyways).

Admittedly, I did not race this 1000, but last year we left the line well after 1.

Regarding car order, it might be worth pointing out that Don Moss beat every BC car, 5 open car, and 5-1600 car by well over two hours... yet they all started in front of him. I do understand the silt and the 4x4 must have been a huge factor... but what is new about that? With the 40 inch (+) tires and SO many teams pre-running multiple times, this is the "norm" now.

BTW, I grew up on bikes, love to watch the bikes, and used to get up early on race day to see them with my dad. However, some of these bucket-list racers do not have the MC skills to be out in front the trucks.

And "Yes", the golf-carts are getting fast as heck, but again... put all sportsman behind those who want to run the pro classes.

Honda48X

Reaction
It is amazing how many are sold. These are the 2016 numbers:
5AADA6CC-1C63-4AAD-8B66-01ABA16E3AAD.png

Last edited:

biggjim

Reaction
I think your statements are probably a little mis-leading? I have a really hard time belieiving that none of these parts of been modified or prepped in a differant manner than stock. Drive train includes the clutch and axles...are you stating that you are running the stock OEM clutch assembly and OEM axles?

I can believe that you are running a stock motor, but the Trans and front diff... Are they completly stock internals? How often are you replacing or rebuilding. Are you rebuilding with all OEM parts...I think not.

Yes the primary and secondary clutches are OEM, they are tuned for the additional weight of a race car but otherwise Polaris OEM. The axles are longer so your right they are not OEM, however most guys are using OEM CV joints. We went away from the OEM CV's because they changed with every year model and made race prep more difficult.

Our trans and front Diff are completely stock.

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
So your clutches are "stock", but tuned? I've tuned RZR clutches and it usually involves replacing the springs, helix, and arms......pretty much everything but the housings.

Zambo

Reaction
Are there classes in desert racing that I’m not aware of that don’t tune and modify their cars?

cw_mi

Reaction
So your clutches are "stock", but tuned? I've tuned RZR clutches and it usually involves replacing the springs, helix, and arms......pretty much everything but the housings.
Tuned can also mean, machining sheaves and rebalancing the primary, and all kinds of little tricks to keep the belt from slipping.
I was under the impression the N/A cars, particularly Polaris ran STM secondaries.
The turbo cars have a better clutch set up from the start.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
Are there classes in desert racing that I’m not aware of that don’t tune and modify their cars?

The point is it's a falsehood to claim you run a "stock" clutch when there is very little stock about it. Is a 1600 clutch "stock" when you've replaced the disk and pressure plate with performance parts?

Zambo

Reaction
The point is it's a falsehood to claim you run a "stock" clutch when there is very little stock about it. Is a 1600 clutch "stock" when you've replaced the disk and pressure plate with performance parts?
Tuning a stock clutch with springs and weights so your car runs as well as possible with its tires, weight, etc is no different than revalving your shocks or changing the springs and weights in your distributor. Its still a stock clutch. A full billet setup from STM or some other company would be an example of a "not stock" clutch.

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
You mean the aftermarket tires and wheels that typically aren't stock size?

Shocks......there's another component that nobody in UTV racing runs "stock". At minimum the valving and springs are replaced.

The point is very few "stock" parts remain on these vehicles; they are full blown race cars these days. Let's treat them accordingly. Start them where they belong, but remove the blue light (BITD).