We need a Droogsma Device in offroad racing.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
This thread is to discuss how we are going to come up with a new beacon type device to mount on all vehicles when racing. This beacon will flash when the race car is stuck or in trouble and be visible from very far away and through the silt. Let's figure out how to make this happen. It will be the Droogsma Device in Honor of our fallen racer/friend Monty.

calstyl2

Reaction
LED whip design like the sand people use, problem with hanging silt is you are just limited in visible distance.
Or a rooftop flashing strobe device.
Above and beyond that, maybe its time to limit pre running in silt prone areas, not sure if its workable but last two years the course has been very impacted long before the race, Last year whole sections were removed due to the pre running done on the course.

Reaction
The beacon probably should activate whenever vehicle comes to a stop, with driver override to extinguish it.

Self contained power supply?

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Maybe it can be mounted on some type of telescoping pole system so it can be extended when needed but kept low enough when not so it doesn't get ripped off by trees.

Hog Wild

Reaction
Hopefully it can work for bikes too, such as a bike fallen down in the silt with the rider standing next to it, facing in who knows what direction.

Anger Issues

Reaction
I like the idea... but co-dawg turns it on when stuck or caught... and WTF with those super bright flashing blue UTV lights??? those gotta go... (different topic, I suppose). "please don't hit me, I'm a golf cart??" SUPER annoying.

07FJRog

Reaction
I like the idea... but co-dawg turns it on when stuck or caught... and WTF with those super bright flashing blue UTV lights??? those gotta go... (different topic, I suppose). "please don't hit me, I'm a golf cart??" SUPER annoying.
Dont 11s have to run those too? Are they annoying or you just got a thing for UTVs?

07FJRog

Reaction
Silt and visibility dont go together, safety crews at silt beds, really is the safest option, but manpower to do that at them would be hard for the race promoter

Chris Tobin

Reaction
LED whip design like the sand people use, problem with hanging silt is you are just limited in visible distance.
Or a rooftop flashing strobe device.
Above and beyond that, maybe its time to limit pre running in silt prone areas, not sure if its workable but last two years the course has been very impacted long before the race, Last year whole sections were removed due to the pre running done on the course.
I mentioned the whip idea in the other thread, I think it should also have a strobe at or around the base or just on the rear of the buggy/truck so it will be at the driver/codriver's focus level as well as high where they may not be expecting or used to seeing something... White or Yellow strobe and could be driver/codriver activated as well as on a g-sensor for impact in the case of a crash...

Anger Issues

Reaction
Sorry, but the uber bright, flashing blue light thing is another topic, so I'll drop it here. BTW, I've been racing in classes for years (since 2001) that require a blue light. I've ran them more often than not. So while "yes", I do have a thing for UTV's, ha ha, that isn't my point. Let's focus on the Droogsma device and I 100% agree with a (flashing?) beacon light (orange?) and possibly hooked to a small separate power source, switched on/off by co-dawg. With LED technology and solar... a roof mounted rechargeable device could be cheap, easy to install, and super effective. Just please SELL it to us and don't rent it every race for 250 bucks or something stupid. I bought a killer solar LED lantern at Big 5 before the race for 14 bucks, I used it every night and put it on the dash every day to charge. It has a flashing mode. If SCORE won't require this... let's just make it a grass-roots effort to agree on a beacon light and through peer pressure let's ALL get one before our next race. We will all call it the Droogsma Device and Monte shall race with all of us for years and years to come.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
FWIW- it doesn't take a rule to be put in place to make a flashing, disabled, stopped on course light something someone has on their vehicle..

I'll run this past my boss and see if we figure out a rear facing strobe system that works. Shouldn't be that hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redline

Reaction
Baja Designs has a strobe function on the OnX lights. Maybe can take that same setup but put it into a 360 light dispersion and have a back up power unit for it.

burninfuel

Reaction
I have a snowplow 8-10 LED panels that also have 7 different patterns or functions.
Every other panel is white and amber, others could be added.
Something to start with and circuits can be added by someone in the industry.
I covers my hole chassis width on a five car.
Mercury switch could activate it if upside down/ on the cars side.
Ebay item for $84

MasTacos

Reaction

FATPAT3

Reaction
Whips get torn off all the time.

I'd recommend an utra-bright strobe like you find on aircraft.

AVEO POWERBURST LIGHT SET from Aircraft Spruce

SKYSPORTS BRIGHT STAR STROBE - CLEAR from Aircraft Spruce

Those things have high visibility in the day and at night. Even in a silt bed at night, something that has a 3 mile visibility range will pretty much get the message through to both the other racers and recovery teams that someone's broken down. They're waterproof and pretty rugged too.

you beat me to it. haha. But something like this would be simple. You can see the beacon on the back of my cherokee for what seems like forever. haha. I think it might almost be able to be seen in silt the things so bright

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
Possibly have light come on ANY time vehicle is stopped (gps activated, separate power supply?), and an override accessible by either occupant while seated and strapped in, upside down.

07FJRog

Reaction
This all sounds good, what if vehicle is upside down?