We need a UTV sucks thread...ready go!

Rock Donkey

Reaction
SHould also be mentioned that Jagged X won their 2nd score championship in 3 years, they also have 6 Pro UTV championships to their credit at BITD. They build all of their UTVs in house.
They build solid cars that stand up to abuse! Plus, they can ALL drive very well and have logged plenty of seat time. Just imagine if they added pre-running, a 4-Seater WB race car, and a built engine to their Baja Racing Schedule? :)

Bro_Gill

Reaction
The cool thing about UTV's is they can be competitive right out of the box....and there is large numbers of other UTV's to race against. Add a cage, fuel cell, some safety gear and go race some local events with half a dozen other UTV's in your local area. The fact that SCORE has 25 UTV's on the start line really says something. 40-50 UTV's in BITD?

I'm impressed with the reliability and average speed of these machines. They are close to placing in the top 25% of the overall fastest cars! Add some horrible weather and some nasty 4WD goat trails to any major race and these UTV's could easily finish in the top 10%.

Racing a UTV in the 'top ranks' doesn't require carrying large tires, huge fuel towers, or long trailers. Parts are smaller and easier to stow. If you wad your car up in the desert, you don't a team of guys to rescue it. Oh, and have you seen these machines rock crawl? They will go through more trails and do it faster than full size custom built rock buggies made for 'rock crawling'. Plus they look like a blast to drive around the sand dunes.

Maybe one day a BajaLite will finish ahead of a UTV, but I just don't see it happening in the near future. :p
Competitive out of the box? How do you figure? I would bet that not a single car that raced the 1000 was running stock suspension. I am not even going to enter the fact that cages, fuel cells, etc... need to be added. Just suspension. With shocks, arms, spindles, driveline upgrades to survive the 1000, I think they spend about what a built used 1600 runs on the open market. Competitive speed? My guess is they double the price of a 1600 and then some. I am not bashing the racers, I am pointing out reality. To say that someone can waltz into the dealer's showroom, swap a cage and add a cell and belts, and be competitive is ridiculous.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
Competitive out of the box? How do you figure? I would bet that not a single car that raced the 1000 was running stock suspension. I am not even going to enter the fact that cages, fuel cells, etc... need to be added. Just suspension. With shocks, arms, spindles, driveline upgrades to survive the 1000, I think they spend about what a built used 1600 runs on the open market. Competitive speed? My guess is they double the price of a 1600 and then some. I am not bashing the racers, I am pointing out reality. To say that someone can waltz into the dealer's showroom, swap a cage and add a cell and belts, and be competitive is ridiculous.
gotta agree with this......we merely 'PRERAN" the 1000 in razors and they both DISSOLVED.....the winning and future winning utv's are HIGH dollar machines......but who ever said our sport was cheap??? .......oh,I guess I did, if you are racing and maintaining a BAJALITE.....:)

MALABANAN

Reaction
Yes Matlocks car was built by jimco but is running off the shelf suspension components from a UTV manufacture
Because all UTV frames off the shelf are sub par. Build American!!!

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

MALABANAN

Reaction
Having Jimco, build the top section of the chassis is not what is making Wayne Matlock that much better. His car still uses a stock Polaris lower frame with stock suspension pick up points and stock concept suspension, with after market Lone Star brand off the shelf suspension components. Most are used to hearing builder names like Jimco, Geiser, Penhall, ID Designs, Brenthall ect. But in the UTV world nice chassis are being build by guys like Cognito, Thad's Fabworx & SDR. These are names you have never heard of unless your into UTV's.

What is making Wayne that much better is his past experience in the sport. (2 Score Championships on quads) Wayne & his crews' knowledge of Prerunning and Baja in general. Good prep and having good people around him like Alba Racing, Maxxis tires, ect.. Also it helps Wayne's race partner has money to spend, so they can afford Jimco's price tag to build the one off chassis (Cage) buy spare parts and can afford to spend a week in Baja prerunning the course. But like any class you race in that is what it takes to be successful, not just a brand name on a chassis.
Wayne and Alba shred!

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

facteryfmf

Reaction
You don't need to change shocks, spindles or anything to do with the driveline... arms and tierods, radius rods (on a polaris) yes....

ScottyA

Reaction
Should be called Golf Carts Suck thread! Can someone change that. Oh by the way I chased the back 9 at the 1000!

fatnbald

Reaction
Having Jimco, build the top section of the chassis is not what is making Wayne Matlock that much better. His car still uses a stock Polaris lower frame with stock suspension pick up points and stock concept suspension, with after market Lone Star brand off the shelf suspension components. Most are used to hearing builder names like Jimco, Geiser, Penhall, ID Designs, Brenthall ect. But in the UTV world nice chassis are being build by guys like Cognito, Thad's Fabworx & SDR. These are names you have never heard of unless your into UTV's.

What is making Wayne that much better is his past experience in the sport. (2 Score Championships on quads) Wayne & his crews' knowledge of Prerunning and Baja in general. Good prep and having good people around him like Alba Racing, Maxxis tires, ect.. Also it helps Wayne's race partner has money to spend, so they can afford Jimco's price tag to build the one off chassis (Cage) buy spare parts and can afford to spend a week in Baja prerunning the course. But like any class you race in that is what it takes to be successful, not just a brand name on a chassis.
You skipped Magnum Offroad and added one that doesn't belong. Aside from that this post is spot on.

Everyone acknowledges that the platform in it's stock form is not adequate for competition. But neither were any of the other vehicles modified for competition by the founders of this motorsport. To have guys in 11/9/7s/7sx/SF/8 etc casting stones about evolution while their antiquated equipment rusts away in a sea container is madness.
This UTV thing is here for good. It would be foolish to assume otherwise.

NIKAL

Reaction
gotta agree with this......we merely 'PRERAN" the 1000 in razors and they both DISSOLVED.....the winning and future winning utv's are HIGH dollar machines......but who ever said our sport was cheap??? .......oh,I guess I did, if you are racing and maintaining a BAJALITE.....:)
Pete, I'm sure you prerun a little faster then I run my Baja play trips, but so for I have done two 600 mile Baja trips with 2 Polaris XP4 900's, with stock suspension (Minus shock work) stock engine & drive-train, right down to stock axles. And the only part failure we have had was one broken belt. Because we have no chase support when we do these trips, we are a bit more conservative, but we still had a 33mph Moving Average on our last trip. So while they are not going to be race competitive off the showroom floor, they are fully capable of running Baja and probably better at it then any other $20,000 vehicle off a dealer showroom.

Last edited:

biggjim

Reaction
Should be called Golf Carts Suck thread! Can someone change that. Oh by the way I chased the back 9 at the 1000!
You guys shot a little better score on the back 9 than we did on the front.....Seems like you guys only Bogey was at 770ish.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Nikal- curious how much of that is race course versus simply Baja roads. Big difference. I am not saying that Glf Carts aren't great recreational vehicles for touring, golfing, etc... I am simply saying that they are NOT competitive race vehicles off the showroom floor at SCORE Baja races. If it is about racing, there is a better bang for your buck, IMO.

NIKAL

Reaction
Nikal- curious how much of that is race course versus simply Baja roads. Big difference. I am not saying that Glf Carts aren't great recreational vehicles for touring, golfing, etc... I am simply saying that they are NOT competitive race vehicles off the showroom floor at SCORE Baja races. If it is about racing, there is a better bang for your buck, IMO.
Our trips are a little of both. Since we were playing I try to avoid 10 miles of crap whoops. But for example our trip started in Tecate 's Rancho Veronica. Day 1 We Ran the compadre trail, ran down the goat trail, then to San Felipe. Day 2 we ran back up to and over Mike's to the coast, and ran the coast down to San Quentin. (Same roads as Score uses.) Day 3 run North back up to Santo Tomas, ran Tres Hormones, to Ojos to catch the Compadre Trail to Rancho Veronica. That is 600 miles.

So while we were not running an active race course, 90% of what we ran is or was Score race courses. Yes we did run some of San Felipe whoops and we did run threw a few smaller silt beds along the coast. (It sucked) And like I said we do not have Chase support so we do have to be a bit more conservative and not hammer through the real ruff stuff tearing our stuff up. But that's the same as if I was using my Baja Bug Prerunner too. Maybe if I had a $100K Alumicraft I could be less conservative!

Lets put it this way, off the show room floor I have done less to the RZR to run as fast as we do, then I had to with my Baja bug or Ranger Prerunners. How many dump another $10 grand into their $50 grand Raptors to make them better? How many $60K Raptors could be race competitive?

Nothing off a showroom floor is Baja race competitive! I dont know of anyone who has said or thinks a UTV is? Sure you could buy one and do the minimum and finish a Baja, but thats not being competitive for the win. How many class 7, 7sx, class 8, 5/1600, class 11 or stock truck class are close to show room stock? There is not a single class that starts with a production vehicle that is not heavily modified to race off road, and the UTV is included.

BANNED4LIFE

Reaction
Do Utv guys just like to argue with absolutely no point at all???? New competitive utv's are probably $100k...but who cares, winning costs MORE.. SOON to be $150k with few rules and the new tire rule.....and they will be FAST... and soon starting in front of class 8.....:)

Bro_Gill

Reaction
"Rock Donkey said:
The cool thing about UTV's is they can be competitive right out of the box...."

"Nikal said:
Nothing off a showroom floor is Baja race competitive! I dont know of anyone who has said or thinks a UTV is?"

Following along now?

NIKAL

Reaction
"Rock Donkey said:
The cool thing about UTV's is they can be competitive right out of the box...."

"Nikal said:
Nothing off a showroom floor is Baja race competitive! I dont know of anyone who has said or thinks a UTV is?"

Following along now?
I get what your saying and when I think of racing, I think Score & BITD and nothing is race ready or competitive out of the box. Rock Donkey mentioned Baja, but he also mentioned local events, which I did not think about. There are a few series like AVE and even D38 that have bone stock UTV classes where even the stock fuel tank are used. So I guess you could buy one and race it. But like you, Pete and others, I agree to build one to handle the longer term abuse and to even get close to what the Top Score & BITD are running you will need to build it up which costs allot of money. But so did our 5/1600 which the only stock parts left is the stock VW pan and 2/3rd of the stock body, and gets beat by UTV's. LOL!

green787

Reaction
Considering that they started as Pep Boys go karts..... they have come a long ways....

Reaction
^^^ Factory-backed Yerf Dogs?

ACME

Reaction
Considering that they started as Pep Boys go karts..... they have come a long ways....
With that thought in mind; then they pretty much have the same lineage as that green yota...

Ryan Schank

Reaction
I built my 5 year old a go kart.
vwgokart.png
vwgokart3.png
vwgokart1.png

bajaherbie

Reaction
how many gears you going to give him?