• Forum membership has its advantages....

We need everyone’s help or there may be no more racing in South Western Nevada!

Shaggy

Did a search on the Commissioners. Confirmed all but one is a Democrat. The last one is unknown, i couldn't find anything more on him. The author of this is Pro-Enviroment, Anti-Trump, Anti-Gun, etc. May have to deal with this at federal level, cause it doesn't look good at point.

9rocky

Screenshot_20180619-112517_Instagram.jpg

I live in NV not that far from the area of concern.

While I hate to see land that was used for racing go away.....this isn't the typical "save the turtle" enviro-Nazi type of deal. Not that long ago, the same area was under study for the construction of an international airport. While that died on the vine, you can bet off road racing would have been eliminated from the same area as well had the airport come to be.

the point is, the off road racing community is welcomed in southern NV. the problem is........$$$$$ racing contributes tiny amounts of money to the area in general compared to other endeavors and only a few times a year. The land in question is going to be sold off to developers. Think how much money that means in the form of property taxes and annual revenues from new homes, businesses etc that want to expand all the way to state line. The money flow would be staggering compared to what off road racing brings in.

so while it sucks we are potentially loosing this area to new development, im sorry to say this is a natural progression and there isn't any stopping it. All it will do is force the racing world to go elsewhere in southern NV to race, and I doubt the commissioners will have a problem as they do recognize the $$ racing generates for local businesses and tourism to the valley. I remember races being ran just at the edge of Henderson, and out past the Eldorado dry lake bed, but now most of that area is covered with homes and the dry lake bed with solar farms.

Screaming about loosing the land to some made up endangered species is one thing, but that's not whats going on here. and its no secret either, the local news media has been covering the situation and it's well known that the desire is to develop the land for other uses. maybe the mint will have to run up north out at Apex in its future or some other location.

again, not rooting or happy about any of this, just saying the effort is a loosing cause.

R. Gross

Thought for a minute they were going to push it back a few weeks for discovery, then they got scared of the timeline. So disappointed. The lady representing the bill sold them a bag of BS with fake promises, bad maps, no water documentation, etc.
Now how many Tortoises are going to be displaced? Endangered???????? It was a sham from the beginning. I am sure there is a big office party going on right now at BLM & DOI.

snoreracer

Well this is not over now we need to contact Nevada senators www.heller.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form use 89030 as a zip and let them know you don't want this land grab. I just donated $500 to Adam laxalt for governor the same office Sisolak is running for the best way to get back to a politician is VOTE THE BUM OUT. Here is the link to donate to Laxalt, adamlaxalt.com/donation use off-roaders against steve sisolak for governor as the pac and donate as much as you can and register to vote so we can VOTE THE BUM OUT

wanda

And I thought that the BLM was supposed to be objective. The BLM lady was a very good political operative, apparently cultivating a relationship with councilwoman Kilpatrick if not others. She obfuscated, gave half truths ( is the 400 being run in ACEC- Area of Critical Environmental Concern- now---) oh yeah loved her answer that made it seem you could run a race in an ACEC. Then she gives testimony that if the commission does not vote for 97 then the BLM will just go ahead and sell the land to developers anyway. Hold a gun to my head why don't ya?
Nice unbiased government worker she is, yep a real piece of work.
Sorry the guy that recommended the commission get their heads out of the place where the sun doesn't shine, but ya know he was right. Poor commissioners got butt hurt and had to make sure that their butt hurt feelings were read into the record.
Now if any of you think that money doesn't talk, well, you really have to be a bit honest with yourselves and realize that industrial development or high end residential development will put a whole lot more dollars into the Clark County coffers that the OHV community ever will. Just seems a shame that recreation takes a back seat to greed once again.
Remember that the definition of a conservative is a liberal who was mugged. People, you just got mugged..

wanda

Well this is not over now we need to contact Nevada senators www.heller.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contact-form use 89030 as a zip and let them know you don't want this land grab. I just donated $500 to Adam laxalt for governor the same office Sisolak is running for the best way to get back to a politician is VOTE THE BUM OUT. Here is the link to donate to Laxalt, adamlaxalt.com/donation use off-roaders against steve sisolak for governor as the pac and donate as much as you can and register to vote so we can VOTE THE BUM OUT
This isn't the place. Take it to purple.

snoreracer

And I thought that the BLM was supposed to be objective. The BLM lady was a very good political operative, apparently cultivating a relationship with councilwoman Kilpatrick if not others. She obfuscated, gave half truths ( is the 400 being run in ACEC- Area of Critical Environmental Concern- now---) oh yeah loved her answer that made it seem you could run a race in an ACEC. Then she gives testimony that if the commission does not vote for 97 then the BLM will just go ahead and sell the land to developers anyway. Hold a gun to my head why don't ya?
Nice unbiased government worker she is, yep a real piece of work.
Sorry the guy that recommended the commission get their heads out of the place where the sun doesn't shine, but ya know he was right. Poor commissioners got butt hurt and had to make sure that their butt hurt feelings were read into the record.
Now if any of you think that money doesn't talk, well, you really have to be a bit honest with yourselves and realize that industrial development or high end residential development will put a whole lot more dollars into the Clark County coffers that the OHV community ever will. Just seems a shame that recreation takes a back seat to greed once again.
Remember that the definition of a conservative is a liberal who was mugged. People, you just got mugged..
She is not a BLM person she, MS hendson is the person in charge on the county environmental and air quality division. She out and out lied there is no racing in an ACEC and she was the one that shut down racing in Eldorado valley ( Henderson 400). MS Hensons best line" we all have to give up something" it was just she gave up nothing and off roaders gave it all

Peter Alesi Jr.

Well I guess to Mint will have to move again, and Las Vegas and Primm don't need the $$$'s off-roaders spend. Maybe the Laughlin area can find a home for us...People from Nevada need to vote these people out of office.

MasTacos

Think how much money that means in the form of property taxes and annual revenues from new homes, businesses etc that want to expand all the way to state line. The money flow would be staggering compared to what off road racing brings in.
This is not always true and is one of the favorite paper tigers that developers wave around. Nevada has one of the lowest property-tax rates in the country (as you know) and the taxes that developers pay may be well shielded and, in some cases, may be mitigated by public loans or exemptions that are offered.

I don't know what the laws are but I'd be interested to see who owns putting in and maintaining the basic infrastructure (power, water, sewer) for this development along with owning traffic mitigation efforts. It's not uncommon for the municipality to take that responsibility on, paid for by your taxes. Sometimes those costs are high enough (Water for example) to mitigate any benefit from the development itself.

Make no mistake, the forces of development aren't looking for the common/community good, it's a for-profit exercise and tends to be pretty nasty, as we all just witnessed.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
This is not always true and is one of the favorite paper tigers that developers wave around. Nevada has one of the lowest property-tax rates in the country (as you know) and the taxes that developers pay may be well shielded and, in some cases, may be mitigated by public loans or exemptions that are offered.

I don't know what the laws are but I'd be interested to see who owns putting in and maintaining the basic infrastructure (power, water, sewer) for this development along with owning traffic mitigation efforts. It's not uncommon for the municipality to take that responsibility on, paid for by your taxes. Sometimes those costs are high enough (Water for example) to mitigate any benefit from the development itself.

Make no mistake, the forces of development aren't looking for the common/community good, it's a for-profit exercise and tends to be pretty nasty, as we all just witnessed.
The land from Sloan to Jean they are targeting already has some of the infrastructure in place as far as power, and water. They are focusing on the land that runs along the railroad, and freeway and is under the approach / departure of the planned Jean Airport freight expansion.

The fact that they have zero concerns on water or airport noise in advancing this as well as the part where Billy's wife went up and emphasized an effort to again fast track the Airport expansion, leads me to believe based on my experience that they already have a master plan. I suspect it will be massive warehouse and distribution sites. Something that takes relatively little utilities, uses massive land and pays massive bucks.

We could hold a Mint every week and it wont touch what the County and State can make in land sales.

The only true positive in this and quite frankly where I think we should focus efforts is the DOI push for an effort under Secretary Zenke to STOP taking public lands from the public.

Tuesday was about the County, asking the State to ask the Feds to give them land. If the Feds say no, then it stalls out.