We want to hear your racing stories!

Dusty Times

Reaction
Do you have a off road racing story to tell? Did you or someone you know beat the odds and finish a race miraculously with luck and perseverance?
Of particular interest are the limited class warriors and what it takes to compete on today's brutal courses.
We are waiting to hear these stories if you're willing to tell them!

J Prich

Reaction
Do you have a off road racing story to tell? Did you or someone you know beat the odds and finish a race miraculously with luck and perseverance?
Of particular interest are the limited class warriors and what it takes to compete on today's brutal courses.
We are waiting to hear these stories if you're willing to tell them!
Whats the best way to get it to you? And do you have an ideal time frame regarding when the story happened?

Dusty Times

Reaction
Whats the best way to get it to you? And do you have an ideal time frame regarding when the story happened?
There is no expiration on when these stories took place. Any time, any race. You can DM us here on RDC and we can take it from there.

y2kbaja

Reaction
Are you going to publish my book idea, Stories of Baja or Stories of Off-Road Racing?

Dusty Times

Reaction
Remember when John, Judy & Jean were waiting at the finish line 7 hours after the winner just to get your story...

Yep. That's the stuff we miss, those late finishers with the amazing stories of perseverance and ingenuity that Judy, John and Jean would capture the quotes from.

The Original Dusty Times Online - race-deZert.com

As y2k asked: Will you be making a book and selling our stories?
To be clear, we are looking for some amazing untold stories of underdog teams / classes that represent the never-give-up spirit of off road racing. This would be for a TBD feature in the new Dusty Times Issue 02.

TheWarWagon

Reaction
So there I was, a 15 year old high school kid. The Elsinore GP had returned, and I was dying to race it. Been racing 125s locally, having fun and doing pretty well. I really wanted to do the Hamel 100, because Lamson was going to race some "new prototype" bike for Honda(XR650). Didn't happen- couldn't find a desert tank in time. So I was going to race the 125 class. At the time, the start was on Main St, then you hooked that off camber left onto the fire road. Anyways, towards the end of the loop, when you come back into town- the transition from dirt to asphalt was SUPER slippery and muddy from rain.
On my second lap, I was battling with another rider and it was brutal. We were making dirty passes, braking late, all that fun stuff. Then we have to both check up to get onto the asphalt, I went wide, and through a huge mud puddle. We both get onto the asphalt at the same time, the other guy gets away cleaner and pull ahead. So I just pinned it, got up to 4th gear in that little stretch. But I forgot one important thing- the off camber left. I saw the other riders ahead of us checking up, and I knew I was screwed. Couldn't grab the front brake, cause I'd just wash out on the asphalt/dirt mix. Tried pumping the back brake, but it was covered with mud, no brakes. Stomped the back braked and the ass end came around.
Low sided on Main Street, straight into the plastic k-rails they had set up. I must have looked like a bowling ball, because I took 2 other bikes out with me. Everyone in the crowd was cheering when I got back up and started my bike. Went to take off, and it bogged out. After a couple tries, I remembered I was still in 4th. Got it started, and finished the rest of the race drama free.
Once it was all over and the adrenaline wore off- I had a broken heel and road rash up my whole leg. Still, it was super fun and I wish I could do it all over again.

TheWarWagon

Reaction
Awesome story war wagon. Can’t win them all. But it’s fun to try
Yeah man, I was more stoked to be racing somewhere from On Any Sunday. Craziest part of the weekend, was watching Lammy overjump this huge tabletop and snap the peg off the bike he was racing. I don't know if they still run the GP, but last I saw it routes through Storm stadium. Weak.

misterktm

Reaction
2014 BITD series Vegas to Reno race, Jeepspeed 1700 class. We started the season off with a win at Parker, a win at the Mint and a DNF at silver state, so we were looking to really put ourselves in a good position for the season title with a good result at V2R. It was double points that year as well. Low and behold we draw the number one start spot for our class. Off the line things are going well until about 5 miles from pit one the engine gets hot. Really hot. Have to pull over hot. Half the cars behind us go by before it cools off enough to even continue at a limp pace. We crawl for a mile or two and it's back to pull over temperature. Nearly all the cars behind us go by this time, including all of the cars in our class. Finally we limp into pit one and start looking for issues with the cooling system. After what seems like forever one of the pit guys miraculously notices a pin hole in the filler neck right below the radiator cap. The hole was above the water line, so it never leaked a drop. But the system was unable to build pressure and just boiled the water out. About the time we break out the JB weld to patch the hole the very last car on the course (class 11 bug) comes through the pit. BITD sweep rig is behind them and tells us we have about 10 minutes to get on the course before we time out. I jump in and get belted up while the guys finish the patch work and button things back up. Off we go without a minute to spare. Problem solved for sure though, engine stays nice and cool.

By pit two we had made some cushion on the pit closing time, but shortly after had some more challenges. In a left hand corner the jeep decided to continue straight instead of going around the corner. Off into the bushes we went with a broken track bar. We pack a spare and had it changed fairly quickly.

By midway through the race we had picked up a few spots, mostly from other guys having issues as well. As the night came we had picked off a couple others and were somehow running third! Coming up a steep tight switchback road we come into a bottle neck. Finally getting by the issue point, it was someone in our class that had went up the bank and rolled over, partly blocking the course, leaving a vey narrow pathway between it and the ravine below. Up to second ! In the wee hours of the morning (still very dark) in a silt mess, before the rocky uphill and downhill mess, we come upon the class leader stuck in the silt. They are out of the car and waving their tow strap. Of course all they see is lights, they don't know we are the second place car coming at them. Staying out of the groove they are stuck in, I go around them and back up close enough to hook on the strap. The co-driver comes up to my window and asks me if I realize we are the first two cars in our class. My reply is something to the effect of 'Yes, now hook your tow strap up before I come to my senses'. We give them a pull and get them about 10 feet down course before we start to sink and our engine temp takes a spike up. We abort the tow and briefly explain our temperature issues of earlier in the day. Unhooked we're able to get ourselves out of the silt and toward the finish line, now back in first -where we started !

We clear pit 14 and are seemingly headed for the win - we're pretty sure everyone behind us is having some sort of issues as well, so it's a cautious pace to just get it to the finish line. Just as we start to breath a little easier, we feel a vibration. It gets worse, and worse, and then the noise comes with it. Clearly whatever it is we are going to have to deal with, it's not going to make it to the finish. Off to the side of the course again. Still in the pitch dark of course, we discover the u-joint in the passenger side front axel is done. We tear everything apart, separate the inner axel from the outer and re-assemble the wheel bearing with the outer axel to hold it all together. We stuff rags down the axel tube to try and keep the oil in the front diff. To our astonishment, no one in our class goes by. It took us a good bit to tear that whole side apart and put it back together, so we're pretty sure there has to be someone within striking distance by now. Back on course and over that nasty last rocky hill, with only two wheel drive, we finally roll into the finish. 19 hours to complete my first solo of Vegas to Reno. My brother in law went the entire distance in the right seat as well. We were exhausted, but what an adventure. Went from first, to last, to first and the win. Took the season title that year...Couple more titles since then, but none as dramatic.