wearing glasses

L&SMotorsports

Reaction
I'm hoping you guys can help me out with a problem I'm having. I have to wear glasses in the race car. They fit nice and tight, but once I begin to sweat, they begin to slide down my face. It was never a problem in the 5-1600 because I had time to flip up the visor and fix them. But things are happening a lot faster in the 1/1600, and I ended up on my head because I was trying to fix my glasses and lost it. So what do you guys who wear glasses do. I've looked into the "rec-specs", but they need to be put on before the helmet goes on. This concerns me because after the helmets on, they aren't coming off. I usually have my glasses cleaned when in a pit, or take them off in the rain, and this can't happen with rec-specs. I've also heard of placing 2 or 3 of the nasal strips just below the glasses so they can't slip down.

If any other racers have dealt with this problem and have found a solution, please let me know.

Thanks for your time, and see you in Barstow in Jan.

Later,
Tim

vorra65

Reaction
Talk to your optometrist. I know that you can get stick on magnification for diving masks. The only problem I see, is if you wear bi-focals. That would sure make things easy, not having to deal with the glasses. Just slip on you skid lid, and off you go.

evan_clanin

Reaction
they make stick on glasses for your visors, i see adds for them all the time in street bike mags. or maby contacts

i wana be like austin when i grow up, he gets all the chicks

AP255

Reaction
Have your eye doctor get you a pair of Oakley's that wrap and have the rubber nose peice. I have clear, tint and percimon. Have not had a problem with slipping. Not all docs are able tp prescribe Oakley's so you may have to find one. Go to a sporting goods store to try the fit first. The one I use is a one peice wrap with no hinges.

mgobaja

Reaction
I wear contacts in the race car with exceptionally good results. So if it's an option it might be worth a try.

Will_Higman

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
Good post Tim! I have been dealing with the glasses thing for many years. I have to agree with Alan on this one. I have a pair of Oakley's that are working great for me right now. Another good thing about them is the long straight side pieces. They run and wrap around way back in my helmet and this helps hold them tightly. I can even pull them away from my face when they fog up and they will stay.

Will Higman

Attachments

• 5-39947-Baja10002002#1RS.jpg
    5-39947-Baja10002002#1RS.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 104

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Wont contacts dry out with the parker pumper running? Kevin Davis wears glasses and I dont think I have ever heard him complain...email him and ask him the secret trick kevin@dmsrace.com

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

mgobaja

Reaction
At times they do dry out but a few blinks and I am ready to go again. It only becomes a problem in long races like the 1000, or after having them in more then 24hrs.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
I have worn sunglasses for years while racing my quad. The only problem I had was the dust getting inside. I used some oil on the foam, kinda like a K and N air filter and that solved the problem. I dont think that glasses could be to much different. I gues though I wore my glasses underneath my goggles so that may be a bit different. I also wore my sunglasses underneath a parker pumper in the 5/1600 car with no problems. The helmet would keep them nice and snug...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.socalmotocross.com/vtrracing//>Vtr Racing.com</A>

kurt

Reaction
Tim - I've always worn my contacts during races with no problems, but if that's not possible for you then the Oakley perscription sounds like the best bet. On bright days I often wear my regular sunglasses (Vaurnet) under the helmet and have had the same problem as you, a small piece of double sided tape on the nose worked great, yea I know it's jury-rig, but I am Zip-Tie racing, what do you expect, lol.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kurt on 12/22/02 01:08 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

ntsqd

Reaction
On the cleaning part of using the Rec-Specs, I've found that Rain-X helps keep dust from sticking to glass or CR-39 lenses. Haven't tried it on polycarb lenses. Might want to try it sometime b4 the race just in case it discolors the lenses or something. I Rain-X both sides of the lense as I find that my sweat makes far less of a mess on the inside if Rain-X is there.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

ntsqd

Reaction
Forgot this other tidbit. Dispensing Opticians can make a pattern from your existing frame if they don't already have one. So find a pair of sunglasses that you think will do the job and send them in with the lense order. You don't have to buy the frame from the doc. If you chose CR-39 lenses, or to a lessor degree polycarb, they can dye the lense what ever color you want and to just about any shade you want. I've friend in that business here in Ventura that I think would help you if need be.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

martininsocal

Reaction
Tim- I just tighten up my Croakie. works fine for me. Any style works, I like the small string style best because it offers the least amount of "feeling" on my neck while driving. I could never get used to contacts, and a friend try to run with contacts, but had a couple problems, one was losing them in his eye while racing, the other was any little spec of dust that got in his eye invariably found its way under the lense. He went back to glasses.
As for whether the string works? I also use it when Rafting and Kayaking and slao for swiftwater rescues, I have never lost a pair of glasses yet.

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
This may or may not apply but, I use an unscented wingless panty liner and stick it on my forhead to prevent sweat from running in my eyes, sounds and looks weird but it works for me.

My father used to just wear his glasses under his goggles with no problems, (smith used to make some large enough to go over glasses) but that was a full face moto helmet. no facesheild

switching to regular moto helmet an option?

If your gunna go.........go Ghetto...

L&SMotorsports

Reaction
Thanks for all the posts and e-mails guys. I'm glad I'm not the only person that's had this problem! I like the Oakley glasses the best, so they can still come off and be cleaned if need be. Call me a wimp, but I can't seem to do contacts, and haven't decided if Lasic is the right thing to do. I appreciate all the info.

As for you Pat, you wear a what? On your where? To do what? Wow, you are quite the man to admit to that on this board! I'm glad I only have problems with my glasses slipping down my face. Just having fun with you. Have you seen Bretts new KTM, that things BAD.

Thanks again guys, and everyone have a great Christmas!

Tim

sirhk100

Reaction
Okay, sorry if this is changing subject and I'll start a thread somewhere else but I'm maybe about 2 months from doing the laser surgery. What are your guys opinions on it?

As for glasses, I wear a prescription set of Black Flys sun glasses under a full face helmet and never have had a problem. In fact I also wear them under my Moto helmet with goggles riding at the desert and the track. On cold days I've had problems with them fogging up when I stop moving but they clear almost instantly once I start moving again.

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
My wife had Lasik over two years ago. Before the surgery she had a horrible time with her eyes in the dust and wind. She would have to literally sit in the truck or trailer until her eyes felt better. After the surgery, her issues with dust and wind are virtually gone. She doesn't have problems with her eyesight anymore either. Her eyes are now 20/20 and 20/25 and they also corrected her astigmatism. The laser for both corrective and astigmatism wasn't FDA approved then so we made a trip to Vancouver, Canada to the Lasik HQ. Made a trip out of it. Since then, I am pretty sure that laser is FDA approved in the states. BTW, LASIK is out of business now. Get it done by a reputable Dr. and surgery center. Good Luck!

Confucius Say - "Every man who do Flying-W, come down with nuts in mouth."

martininsocal

Reaction
I am also looking at having my eys diced. I have damage to one eye from a really stupid fabricating error(always wear eye protection, no matter how short the cut on the saw will be!) and my eye doc says it will be a great fix. My other eye is not nearly as bad, but I didn't want to wear a monacle, so I use glasses for driving. Everyone I know that has had it done is very happy. But you never know if you will be the 1 in 7,249 who will be blinded!

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

frankh

Reaction
I had it done. After wearing glasses for years and now not having to, it is great. Did both eyes the same day. could see when I walked out ( not good ). 3 days later 20/20. When to work the next day. It is great not have to wear glasses anymore. Also before that I wore goggles made for snow skiing.