wearing glasses

MikeLeung

Reaction
I've been reluctant to under go the surgey, even though my dad had it done. He went from legally blind to 20/20 vision. I've been told that vibration, and dust are bad for the eyes after the surgey. Whats your experience with them racing and how long afterwards were you racing again?

desertracer

Reaction
My dad got lasik surgery done about 3 years ago and has had no problems. With contacts the desert always gave him problems between the dust and the dry air in the helmets. No he has perfect vision and never has to worry about any of those problems. I think it was a bit pricey but well worth it.

MDR #112

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
If you have had eye surgery and race, I have two questions.
How is your night vision now? Do you get eye strain in long races?

I wear a snug helmet and the vibration has broken my glasses
during the race in 2 of the last 3 1000's. Lessons I've learned include
locktight the screws in my glasses, treat the lenses with anti-fog,
and carry a spare set in the racecar. But basically glasses just suck.

PLS

Reaction
I had the R.K. surgery before the laser surgery was common and affordable. One of the best things I ever did. After over five years, it is still great. The only thing that has gone down some is at night with on-comong cars. There tends to be a lot of flaring around the lights. It gets worse as fatigue sets in.
Pete-BOYD RACING

frankh

Reaction
I had a race 1 month after I had it done. but I was told to wash them out after the race with a special rinse he gave me. It has been almost a year and many races later and ever thing is real good. The last 1000 I raced with the goggles, when I got to the beach it was misting. I wiped them so much one of the lens fell out. drove for 50+ mile holding it and shifting with the same hand. Had to make a pit stop just to put it back in. It great without glasses.

curt

Reaction
Patty had LASIK about 2-1/2 years ago and it was a huge improvement to her daily as well as track driving. She always wore glasses because of the dirt under the contacts thing. I was noticing in the dark on windy streets with glasses her depth perception wasn't very good and she would always brake early and generally too much then have to accelerate then brake again in the corner so it was never smooth. After the LASIK she has a much better confidence and now she'll drive at the edge in the dirt and the street, she now likes mountain roads. Out of concern that the eye might not be as structurally sound she wears a trim pair of clear or tinted safety glasses under her full face helmet in case it gets covered in mud and needs to open the shield.

Curt Hayos

VORRA Class 7

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah, I've heard that a hard hit to the eye even years after the surgery can cause more serious damage then those that havn't had the procedure. That's the one thing that worries me cause I ride dirt bikes (actually that's where my true off road love lies more then racing, don't kill me know guys!!!) and even though I've never took a hit to the face in general in the 17 years I've been riding it doesn't mean it won't happen. I've definately had some hard hits to the head that I don't remember, how bad would it suck to wake up blind and not remembering what happened? I'm still going to do it though. That's what I'm currently saving for, I'm budgeting $2000 for the procedure, does that sound about right? Anyone get theirs done in San Diego? Recomended DR?

I'll still wear sunglasses under my goggles when riding and under the face mask when in a race vehicle even after the surgery.

khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Are the people performing the LASIK required to be registered medical doctors..MD's? You guys are brave...I dont even trust a chiropractor.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah, I've been told my balls are larger then mostl!!!!

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

DIRTBALL

Reaction
I had the lasik eye surgery done as soon as I turned 18 (you can't get the surgery till you're 18, even if you have parents permission). I've been racing ever since and not once have had a problem. Bekki, and my cousin Bryan (who both race off-road) has also gotten the Lasik done with no problems. Bekki and I went to Dr. Lingua in Brea, California. It was great because we had the surgery done in his office and right next door was an Embassy Suites. So we had the surgery, went back to our rooms, woke up the next day walked to his office. After they did their checks to make sure everything was okay they did an vision test, 20/20 for both of us. We then went shopping and haven't had a problem yet. Before the eye surgery I wore my contacts when I was racing go-karts and off-road. Bekki and Bryan always wore their glasses. One great thing to know about Lasik is that the surgery doesn't leave scar tissue, so the surgery can be done again with no problems. I will probably have to get my eyes done one more time in my life time due to my eyes getting "older". I personally think it's the best surgery. I would do it again.

Catch me... if you can.

DougM

Reaction
Khris-
Dr. Sandy T. Feldman here in San Diego is the BEST!
She will tell you whats up and give your options. No hard sell like the TV Dr's that have infomercials etc.
She did my dad and myself and Tony Hawk(you might have heard of him ?)
Its $1800 and eye but you get what you pay for..
Don't use a coupon / discount for something like your vision, you only have one set of eyes!

http://www.clearvieweyes.com

Doug

toddz

Reaction
I had mine done a little over 3 years ago and love it. If you live in the Phoenix area, I recommend Barnett-Dulaney-Perkins. Yes, they're all doctors, in reference to someone's question about that. I've found that for whatever reason, my vision isn't quite as good during the winter months, but it was that way when I wore glasses too. Night time vision is not a problem, but I do find that my eyes get tired at night. Go with someone respected in the field-don't go for the coupon types, as Doug mentioned. I can usually see 20/15, which I think is great. When I had mine done, the company I work for was covering it as part of their medical insurance so my out-of-pocket expenses were $300. Needless to say, they don't that anymore! I've only ridden in one race since the surgery but had no problems with wind, silt, fatigue, etc.

Todd Z.

curt

Reaction
Patty had hers done by Dr Gary Kawesh in the bay area. It was like 2K an eye all out of pocket...Since it's suck a crucial surgery I'd do research and get one of the oldtimers to do it not one of their students. Get recomendations and don't skimp on the dough, it's not worth it. We definately prefer LASIK over RK and Kawesh is one of the pioneers in the field. His exprerience is over 20k operations and he does the Raiders and 49er players...... <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.2020eyesite.com/>http://www.2020eyesite.com/</A> Good luck, Curt

VORRA Class 7