Weather proofing rollcage

FabioP

How do you guys deal with the holes made on the cab? How do I seal the holes from getting water/dirt inside the cab? Sandwich plate?

charlie_brown

Cut some sheet metal and patch it up. Ues a silicone bronze rod tig weld for flexing so it wont crack. Then get some auto seam sealer and finish it up. Don’t just mig it. I see a lot that just mig it but it will just crack all the time and be very careful of the expandable foam. Most have a very low flash point and put off a gnarly smoke.

Attachments

RACERX686

Cut some sheet metal and patch it up. Ues a silicone bronze rod tig weld for flexing so it wont crack. Then get some auto seam sealer and finish it up. Don’t just mig it. I see a lot that just mig it but it will just crack all the time and be very careful of the expandable foam. Most have a very low flash point and put off a gnarly smoke.
The expandable foam, i was planning on using that to fill my roll cage (it is tucked and sheet metal in) to keep everything tight and quiet. has anybody else used this home depot stuff for this before.. i thought it would work great for that and to use to mold contours to the roof for a headliner. Has anyone seen this stuff burn or had a problem, as long as it is last to do on the list no sparks or welding flying should there be a problem??
On the sealing question brown has it right, im right in the middle of that right now doing the floor and all the interior cage work, i use this black seam sealer from eastwood.com. (search black seam sealer) It sets up very quick and is of o.e. quility. It can even be sanded and painted to smooth over after it sets up...

partybarge_pilot

Everybody thinks the expanding foam is a good idea till they have to work on a truck thats had it done. Would not recomend.......

charlie_brown

Everybody thinks the expanding foam is a good idea till they have to work on a truck thats had it done. Would not recomend.......
i had some of it from long ago. when i rebuilt my cage and used my plasma cuter, man that’s when i learned. i think hilte makes some that does not have as low of a flash point. just remember, it is an absolute pain to work around it later.

Shaggy

DAP makes a water based expanding foam. You can get it at Home Depot. Check the label first.

RACERX686

Well i just got done with plating and seam sealing in the floor, the down tube holes and any other parts i had to swiss cheese on project shredfest '09. Ill post some pics later tonight. I actually ened up re-using the old cut outs and put backing plates underneith spot tacked it all in and seam sealed it. This was after i went through all the trouble of making completly new ones out of sheet metal, jsut went much easier. They are more than strong enough.
*******fyi this stuff is almost impossible to get off the skin!!!****

RACERX686

dap makes a water based expanding foam. You can get it at home depot. Check the label first.
thanks shaggy ill check into that stuff. Im ready to start tacking in all the sheet metal tempaltes already made to tuck and hide the cage work, so im about ready to do something along those lines wether it be foam or nothing...

Shaggy

thanks shaggy ill check into that stuff. Im ready to start tacking in all the sheet metal tempaltes already made to tuck and hide the cage work, so im about ready to do something along those lines wether it be foam or nothing...
No prob. Good luck.:D

xjobforacowboyx

Home Depot sells an expanding foam that used for patching holes in the firewalls in your garage(walls from with garage on one side, and directly to living quarters on the other side) It's fire "proof" to a certain extent. It's not cheap, and its a royal pain to work with!

-Keith

thebarn

dont forget to radius any plate going to sheetmetal cab of the truck or it will crack i have migged them and they work fine if they have the radius

Co-Dog

Poly foams require moisture as a catalyst. It doesn't work well in tubing, it can actually remain liquid in the middle until the day you need to make some changes to your cage. DON'T DO IT! The acoustical benefits are too little to justify all the associated problems. If you just can't help yourself, then at least buy the 2 part type of foam. It comes in a box and I don't think they sell it at home depot. I'm sure mcmaster-carr carries it.

Shaggy

Poly foams require moisture as a catalyst. It doesn't work well in tubing, it can actually remain liquid in the middle until the day you need to make some changes to your cage. DON'T DO IT! The acoustical benefits are too little to justify all the associated problems. If you just can't help yourself, then at least buy the 2 part type of foam. It comes in a box and I don't think they sell it at home depot. I'm sure mcmaster-carr carries it.
Good point!