Weatherman, Patience, Viva Baja!

pciscott

Reaction
This is a repost of my Lost and Found post PAB asked me to start a new thread:

I lost my Patience at San Felipe 250, 212X please wait 30 minutes before you ask for status again! Spectator with Microphone while I love the sound of Trophy Trucks going by, every car off the start while we are having a Code Red is a Dick Move! 1212 please do not leave kids unattended with radio asking for status every 5 minutes when we are trying to help a downed rider. Puertocitos Panther ease up on the Beers and I could have used your help with 1117 who was stuck in desert for 14 hours. A very Special Thank You to Steve 246 a guy with a Raptor who went in to help 1117 who was stuck in desert at mile 53 from 1130am until 230am.

There was a time when 10 people would have answered the call from the Weatherman for help for a fellow racer who was stranded in desert all day, but times are changing? 1117 should have been more prepared as they had to have Helicopter assistance to bring them water at 6pm and there crew never checked into Weatherman to find him and left him in desert until 230am. This is double frustration as you guys need to be prepared and why was Steve 246 and the Puertocitos Panther the only Good Samaritans in San Felipe?

Special thanks to Mag 7 pit 5 you guys were a big help on the radio. The trackers helped with status, but when we have cars not tracking and have to go to visual the Weatherman Relay much appreciates the help from Mag 7 and Baja Pits, I am always available to track your stragglers, would be appreciated if you guys could monitor Weatherman and all help out as much as Mag 7 pit 5 and Carlos at Baja pit 1. Thank you for your help!

I hope the 3 Motorcycle guys are recovering from injuries well and my thoughts are with everyone involved with the tragic spectator accident.

I want to also thank Trophy Truck number 10, the Ampudia boys stopped to help a downed 206X in the middle of the Lead Trophy Truck pack, Rodrigo your Boys are what Baja is all about and I know you are a proud Father! Kudos to Score for giving them time back!

The Baja while epic can be brutal and we all need to show her more respect. Spectators need to stay back from the course and we all need to help each other out in this brutal environment!

The Weatherman could use some Baja Warriors who are ready to be dispatched to help those in need, its not a job it is a adventure! Please email me at Scott@Pciraceradios.com with contact information and what mile marker you plan on hanging out and I will add you to the Weatherman plan.

Viva Baja! Weatherman Clear!

Last edited:

Slippery P

Reaction
I think you did a great job Scott! It was painful listening to the frustration being caused by idiots all day. Keep up the good work!

TRAVISD

Reaction
I was out by check 2, and late in the afternoon all I was hearing was status on car 1212, 1910 I think and another UTV. That went on for hours and weather man North was just tired of it!

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
Thanks for all that you do Scott.
As we sit in the pit with one radio tuned to the weatherman, we usually take bets on how long before the first Richard Cranium award.
Both you and your Dad have/had a lot of patience on the radio.
We always check to make sure it's not our mike that's stuck.

Mooch2Peril

Reaction
Scott and I talked about this on the phone today after my very appreciated thank you to him for his patience and efforts at the 250. I personally came really close to scolding the 1212 kid over the air. It got to a point we had to turn our radios off weatherman just to focus, not a at the fault of him. I told Scott over the phone today the status update stuff has got to go completely or to another channel. If you can’t have 1-3 people at home or somewhere with internet track your racer, then provide updates to your team you should sit out some races an recruit some help. I can understand exception being your racer 1 or more hours late to a pit. But some of these teams were asking for updates every few minutes, then seemed to increase the request rate during code red. Scott handled that waaaaay better than I ever could. Hats off to THE Weatherman.

MaymesORS

Reaction

I lost my Patience at San Felipe 250, 212X please wait 30 minutes before you ask for status again! Spectator with Microphone while I love the sound of Trophy Trucks going by, every car off the start while we are having a Code Red is a Dick Move! 1212 please do not leave kids unattended with radio asking for status every 5 minutes when we are trying to help a downed rider. Puertocitos Panther ease up on the Beers and I could have used your help with 1117 who was stuck in desert for 14 hours. A very Special Thank You to Steve 246 a guy with a Raptor who went in to help 1117 who was stuck in desert at mile 53 from 1130am until 230am.

There was a time when 10 people would have answered the call from the Weatherman for help for a fellow racer who was stranded in desert all day, but times are changing? 1117 should have been more prepared as they had to have Helicopter assistance to bring them water at 6pm and there crew never checked into Weatherman to find him and left him in desert until 230am. This is double frustration as you guys need to be prepared and why was Steve 246 and the Puertocitos Panther the only Good Samaritans in San Felipe?

Good day, thank you to the Raptor we found on our way out at MM67, we where able to reach our car around 7pm, our first chase vehicle that arrived to the race car was around 5pm but had two blown tires, our second chase blew the transmission on the heavy wash heading from MM67 to the car, and me on Chase 1 made it there at night.

I was driving the class 11 when we saw the Ford RAPTOR that had come to help us, we didn't advice weatherman because when we asked a couple of times for a status on the race car we could not get thru due to trafic on the radio so we where montoring everything thru ANUBE and our chase radios.

Please let us know is we can help in some more points and we will get some BajaORS Chase and Rescue units on course.

Thanks for Everything, see you in the B500 !!

Hector Maymes
Director/Owner
BajaORS Motorsports

BajaORS Logo Screenshot.png

MaymesORS

Reaction
Scott and I talked about this on the phone today after my very appreciated thank you to him for his patience and efforts at the 250. I personally came really close to scolding the 1212 kid over the air. It got to a point we had to turn our radios off weatherman just to focus, not a at the fault of him. I told Scott over the phone today the status update stuff has got to go completely or to another channel. If you can’t have 1-3 people at home or somewhere with internet track your racer, then provide updates to your team you should sit out some races an recruit some help. I can understand exception being your racer 1 or more hours late to a pit. But some of these teams were asking for updates every few minutes, then seemed to increase the request rate during code red. Scott handled that waaaaay better than I ever could. Hats off to THE Weatherman.

I think it's a great idea to shout our car status on another frequency and leave weatherman for emergency assistance and relay only !! INFORMACION IS ONLINE !!! LOOK FOR A SPOT WITH DATA COVERAGE.

Fully agree with Penner, who by the way had and awsome run. Congrats buddy, see you in the 500.

RYAN COHEE

Reaction
Weatherman your father would be proud thank you for all ways being there when we need help. Lots of Richard Craniums to deal with during the 250.

Honda48X

Reaction
Great job Scott. I was getting so pissed at the idiot that was keying the mic everytime the race vehicles would go by, I wanted to reach through the radio and hit him. Anyway what a great job you did.

El_Dude

Reaction
hi Scott.
this is Danny from Baja Pits 1. i was the one in communication with you. count on us helping when needed. and thank you for what you guys do. you are doing a great job filling Mr Weatherman's shoes Wheatherboy

pciscott

Reaction
Not looking to reinvent the Weatherman channel and one of the big reasons people listen is because they can hear a tidbit that may help them in their race. Status is part of this when we are not busy. Status however should not be used so loosely and should be kept for long overdue vehicles.

Big advice call PCI and order a second radio to keep on Weatherman channel:) This is most important for the smaller teams as the problem is 3 chase trucks in different areas of the course who are trying to stay on their own channel so they do not miss anything. They flip over and ask for status, that they would of heard if they monitored Weatherman 100%. A second radio would fix half of these teams who have multiple members who keep asking for the same help. Also monitor for at least 5 minutes before you ask for help so you know you are not jumping into a Code Red.

I know some of you take humor in blasting the idiots and this is part of what you loved my Father for, but I have found if I engage these Richard Craniums they get worse.

People that heckle on a channel that can be the difference between life and death should be ashamed!

Any Pit captains that want to purchase a Dedicated Weatherman radio I will discount for the added help! Baja Pits and Mag 7 are my goto guys when tracking is not working because checkpoints can be over 100 miles apart!

One new thing I have to deal with as well is people at home on Live Message board, remember we have all our loved ones at home listening in and this adds a whole new dimension when a code red goes down. Sorry that I do not have all the answers for Mom and I am going through it with you! I want to thank the people who were helping me answer questions on message board by tracking cars when people at home were asking for status, Big help!

I have a few people that have sent me emails and offered help at the 500, today I am trying to leave early to go to a Basketball Game with my son Ryder, I will answer in the morning and appreciate the help.

WeatherBoy Clear!

sredish

Reaction
you did a great job. this year seemed a tad more hectic than usual. I had to leave late sat night and could still hear you all the across to the Sonora side with strong signal.

side note - I run a dual channel / dual band kenwood and can talk to chase crew on one side and still listen to you on the other, one radio. can also repeat across the two with a handheld to get out on the big radio. great option for chase crews.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Scott you are doing an awesome job. Listening at this last race I really wanted to reach through the computer and smack more than a few Richard craniums on the channel thats for sure. I did like the guys offering the baja justice once they found out who was doing the race car sound bytes every 30 seconds off the start. I honestly don't know if there is much you can do to control this BS since so many people have access to radios now days since they are so cheap and easily bought.

However you are doing a thankless job and your dad is damn proud of you for picking up the channel and keeping it going. As always I will help with whatever I can during the races, I still feel Weatherman (Weatherboy) is the first line of safety in Baja.

Anyone who races Baja and buys anything other than PCI should be ashamed of themself as your service alone is worth their business. Simple as that.

DRZ_Motorsports_119

Reaction

Special thanks to Mag 7 pit 5 you guys were a big help on the radio. The trackers helped with status, but when we have cars not tracking and have to go to visual the Weatherman Relay much appreciates the help from Mag 7 and Baja Pits, I am always available to track your stragglers, would be appreciated if you guys could monitor Weatherman and all help out as much as Mag 7 pit 5 and Carlos at Baja pit 1. Thank you for your help!

I hope the 3 Motorcycle guys are recovering from injuries well and my thoughts are with everyone involved with the tragic spectator accident.

I want to also thank Trophy Truck number 10, the Ampudia boys stopped to help a downed 206X in the middle of the Lead Trophy Truck pack, Rodrigo your Boys are what Baja is all about and I know you are a proud Father! Kudos to Score for giving them time back!

The Baja while epic can be brutal and we all need to show her more respect. Spectators need to stay back from the course and we all need to help each other out in this brutal environment!

The Weatherman could use some Baja Warriors who are ready to be dispatched to help those in need, its not a job it is a adventure! Please email me at Scott@Pciraceradios.com with contact information and what mile marker you plan on hanging out and I will add you to the Weatherman plan.

Hi Scott,

First of all on behalf of Forasteros Racing Team #1212 we want to publicly sent out our apologies for the incidents regarding our team on last weekends SCORE San Felipe 250.

I guarantee you this is the last time this incident is going to happen and is a key topic in the next meeting, in how to educate team members in using WM only for emergencies.

I personally was the WM for the team in Home Base as I was enable to race due to a schedule conflict, even for me it was frustrating.

Thank you for what you do and once again Sorry.

Have a great day and week amigo, see you at the Baja 500.

Sincerely FRT 1212

Erick Durazo

partspimp

Reaction
Scott you did a great job. Is there something we can do when spectating. We were in ear range of kids broadcasting cars going by. But lacked backup of people to go confront large group of people enjoying there favorite beverage. Can we get police or score official to come to area to get them to stop. My perfect scenario would be helo come and hover over their camp for a minute and scatter there s__t . They then may get the hint to stop.

y2kbaja

Reaction
Scott you did a great job. Is there something we can do when spectating. We were in ear range of kids broadcasting cars going by. But lacked backup of people to go confront large group of people enjoying there favorite beverage. Can we get police or score official to come to area to get them to stop. My perfect scenario would be helo come and hover over their camp for a minute and scatter there s__t . They then may get the hint to stop.

Or land with bolt cutters and cut their mic cord. or just take their mic

swiftracing5

Reaction
Shameless plug: fish’ text updates take the guesswork out of weatherman updates. We used them at this race and loved it. Yes you don’t always have cell service but do you always have radio range?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

43mod

Reaction
However you are doing a thankless job
I cant really agree w this part. Anybody worth anything in Baja racing is extremely thankful for Weather people. We know where to direct our purchases and are schooling as many people as possible on who to develop a relationship with . 2 radios in each truck is a must ! Thanks again Scott see you at the 500