• Forum membership has its advantages....

Weatherman Relay reluctantly not at the Mint 400

Weatherman

The voice of desert racing
Sharlene and I were ready to go and looking forward to our continuing support of the Mint 400 Race. We were invited, as usual by Mad Media; however, our effort was blocked by Casey's allegiance to his new sponsor. Had we more than two days advance notice, we could have prepared the Yellow Zebra Jeep and at least done retrieval.

We followed the race from home and utilized the new tracking system which was awesome!

Bdub 1020

I had race crews telling me Bob that the radio system they were trying to use out there for issues was really poor and not working well. Not sure what the deal was. Every racer wants the weatherman at races no matter who the heck sponsors are IMO.

bajadreamer

Sharlene and I were ready to go and looking forward to our continuing support of the Mint 400 Race. We were invited, as usual by Mad Media; however, our effort was blocked by Casey's allegiance to his new sponsor. Had we more than two days advance notice, we could have prepared the Yellow Zebra Jeep and at least done retrieval.

We followed the race from home and utilized the new tracking system which was awesome!
Your telling me that you were disinvited? Even to help out with the retrieval? Or am I missing something?

Your friend from Oklahoma

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

NIKAL

Sounds like a big lack of communication between Mad Media & BITD! Earlier this year BITD did a press release stating that they were working with Rugged Radio's this year and that Rugged Radios would be handling the overflow and race car status reports, to reduce congestion on the BITD channel. Basically doing what Weatherman & PCI had done.

Why Mad Media invited PCI & Weatherman, when Mad Media has made it clear that race operations is handled by BITD, is what I would be asking? And why only two days before an event is PCI finding out or speaking with BITD about doing radio communications or roving, on a race that is in the planning for months? Everyone has schedules and calender's and you cant know or not know something days before an event. I also would not think of it as being blocked by Casey's allegiance, its more about Casey had already put someone in the place that you thought you were needed in.

This is clearly more about Mad Media not communicating with BITD or visa versa!

Bob were you under the impression that you were to be handling the BITD communications and status reports for the Mint 400? Or was it that Mad Media invited you to come out to the race for???

Last edited:

pciscott

The Weatherman has been at the Mint 400 since its rebirth with Snore then Casey running the race and was invited by Mad Media. He was never doing anything for the promoter was just being the voice of Off-Road and a Celebrity doing status for all on the Weatherman channel.

I might also add that he was at the Mint 400 in 1975 when he received his nickname "Weatherman" and at all the Mint 400's after that helping anyone who needed help or some extra range.

He was scheduled to do the Weatherman Relay as he has done at every other Mint race for the last 40 years and was asked to stand down a few days before the event.

Anyway the Weatherman was reading the Live Mint 400 thread and read a few posts one by John Bitting to listen to the Weatherman feed and wanted to make sure his Race Dezert Familia knew why he was not at the event and make sure nobody was confused who the Weatherman is:)

The Mint 400 was awesome and PCI was proud to be a part of it and thanks Mad Media and BITD for putting on such a top notch event.

I agree with others that the Weatherman is an asset at any event and on top of that he is a Bad Azz!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Rugged Radios is not making many friends as of late. There's a lot people will tolerate but blocking the Weatherman is not one of them. Until Rugged is prepared to go sit on top of remote mountains in Baja listening to a radio for 48 straight hours and commit to doing it for 40 years BACK OFF.

I'm so tired of promoters in this sport thinking that the series and sport is bigger than any one sponsor. It is not, this sport would cease to exist without the support (financial and other) of these endemic brands. How many non-endemic brands did you see sponsoring the Mint or any other off-road race for that matter? Without these endemic brands this sport ceases to function.

Rant over.

John Bitting

Administrator
The Weatherman has been at the Mint 400 since its rebirth with Snore then Casey running the race and was invited by Mad Media. He was never doing anything for the promoter was just being the voice of Off-Road and a Celebrity doing status for all on the Weatherman channel.

I might also add that he was at the Mint 400 in 1975 when he received his nickname "Weatherman" and at all the Mint 400's after that helping anyone who needed help or some extra range.

He was scheduled to do the Weatherman Relay as he has done at every other Mint race for the last 40 years and was asked to stand down a few days before the event.

Anyway the Weatherman was reading the Live Mint 400 thread and read a few posts one by John Bitting to listen to the Weatherman feed and wanted to make sure his Race Dezert Familia knew why he was not at the event and make sure nobody was confused who the Weatherman is:)

The Mint 400 was awesome and PCI was proud to be a part of it and thanks Mad Media and BITD for putting on such a top notch event.

I agree with others that the Weatherman is an asset at any event and on top of that he is a Bad Azz!
Sorry for the confusion Scott, that is what the player was named at the bottom of the live page to separate it from the stage feed. I was not implying Bob was there. I will make sure to use different terminology in the future.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Bob: Time to trademark that handle. ;)

pciscott

Trademarked decades ago on a Mountain Top in Baja! True Grit! John love you and RDC and we all thought he would be up on the mountain until the end so easy mistake.

Weatherman

The voice of desert racing
Your telling me that you were disinvited? Even to help out with the retrieval? Or am I missing something?

Your friend from Oklahoma

The timing was bad, two days, and the Jeep was leaking transmission or transfer case fluid all over the garage floor! There wasn't time to effect repairs before the Mint! Shar and I love retrieval, she's the "wench with the winch", Which also wasn't working. It needs a solenoid or two and a new winch rope. I know Casey likes our retrieval effort and appreciates our help. Many of you have heard the words, 'follow me', when we attached the tow strap and tow you out to Shey Road or tow you to your pit or even put you on your trailer.

I don't know if Shar and I would of been any more effective as a relay effort, however, as a nostalgic effort and to our customers, we feel we should have been there!

az_amsoil

Last year I was able to shake hands with the Weatherman and it was an honor! Believe me when I say you have provided entertainment for us while we wait and wait and wait in the desert. Many times you provide us with key relay information to know if we are still in the race or out. Countless times your a voice in the middle of nowhere as we are blindly bouncing down some Mexican "chase road" trying to recover a vehicle. and as recently as the B1k you helped coordinate our teams effort to muster up in San Felipe and develop a recovery plan. Thank you Weatherman and PCI for all that you do, have done and will continue to do in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

12LaPaz

The Mint 400 is no longer the race it used to be but Bob The Weatherman is a Legend and always will be
Casey is a chump and he has proved that for all to see....shame on him

Jack

I am disappointed in whoever made this decision. Ultimately Casey is responsible for it.

LantanaTX

At the Blue Water Challenge, Weatherman Bob personally retrieved our car and towed us back to main pit when the BITD truck didn't believe he could get to us without getting stuck in the sand. Thank you Weatherman!!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk