Weatherman's continuing not so super duty saga

shrek

RDC Crypto
So Poor Ford went back to International for motors, even though the 7.3 is one of the most reliable engines in the world. I can't believe they still do business together. My big Red '00 runs like a champ, never any problems; feels like she's just about broken in at 160,000 mi. AND I don't fear going anywhere; including Baja with her. Thanks to Richard Boyle for selling her to me, he said it is the best truck he ever owned. Now it's the best truck I ever owned.
6 liter= junk. (Tons of power till it pops....)
Sorry bout yer issues, Bob, see you in Mex.

Roger
Motion Tire Motorsports
BFI racing

Uh.......the 7.3 is an international motor also. (maybe I misunderstood your post)

My 6.0 is bueno so far....

Shrek

shrek

RDC Crypto
Times three!!

The Duramax is a decent engine...........but then you have to have that POS Chevy truck attached to it........rattle rattle.....uncomfortable seats.......icky interior........

Buy a Ford and dont put the Bully Banks 6 Pack afterburner super burn your friggin engine up kit on it and you will be just fine.

Shrek

GHARACING

RDC Crypto
Just FYI! It's Wood, not Woods I have a bronco that John refurbed and it's going on 200K without anything other than normal maint.

i didn't say woods... the post above me did.. i know its wood, but i still say woods.. same shat.

wetmonkey

RDC Crypto
Buy a Ford and dont put the Bully Banks 6 Pack afterburner super burn your friggin engine up kit on it and you will be just fine.

Shrek

Correctamundo! I bought my 05 with the Banks Sixgun already on there. I always keep it on the "stock" setting and it's been fine so far.

I have an 04 that scares me to drive to the liquor store let alone hitch to a trailer and go. Anyone ever heard theirs make a noise kind of like an old choo choo train from what sounds like under the hood lower driver side? When it happens you can see the boost drop when it is going on. have read all of the forums on the subject and done all of the recomendations to this point.
Besides a leaking power steering hose, that old choo choo train sound has been the only problems I've had, heard it's the high pressure oil pump. I've only heard it a handful of times and it was on deceleration.

AZOffroad

RDC Crypto
I have an 05 & 08 F-350. Never had a bit of problems from the 05. The only time either one has been back to Ford was for recalls. The 05 6.0 is a lot peppier than the 08 6.4. But the 08 will out pull the 05. Had a 7.3 prior, it would pull a house down but you needed a mile of clear traffic before pulling out onto a street. The 7.3 was a dog from a dead stop. Turbo lag is bad on the 7.3. Took way to long to spool up.

Offspring

RDC Crypto
I have an 05 & 08 F-350. Never had a bit of problems from the 05. The only time either one has been back to Ford was for recalls. The 05 6.0 is a lot peppier than the 08 6.4. But the 08 will out pull the 05. Had a 7.3 prior, it would pull a house down but you needed a mile of clear traffic before pulling out onto a street. The 7.3 was a dog from a dead stop. Turbo lag is bad on the 7.3. Took way to long to spool up.

that's why God gave you a left foot and a brake pedal...:D Also worked on my GN.

EWZ131

RDC Crypto
5.9 CUMMINS and a 6 Speed anyday, had many and never a problem. Replace clutch with a Southbend clutch @ around 100,000 miles and start all over again. Pull to your hearts desire.:D

rickf

RDC Crypto
Good sites to get educated, made a few of the mods and watched my maintanance REALLY close and no problems at 102,000.
Repeat, watch the maintanance REALLY close. The injectors don't like dirty fuel or low fuel pressure (dirty filters) and the Ultra Low Sulfur diesel we've been blessed with is very hard on injectors, I run 1 oz. per gallon of two-stroke oil with it. No need on Mexican diesel as it is Low Sulphur.

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/index.php?

manicmechanic

RDC Crypto
Fords hosed up "pull the cab" design goes down the assembly line great I'm shure. To bad chrysler is broke. I dont want a truck that you have to pull the cab to fix a leaking line. Fast profit and head in the sand.

JD Durfey

RDC Crypto
Website
www.myspace.com
I own 3 Dodge Cummins 4X4 trucks a 92 auto, 95 5 speed, and an 02 6 speed. I love them all. Yes the truck falls apart and isn't the most user friendly like the bad cab design.

However, I will adjust my style for the fact that I don't ever have to worry about my trucks breaking anything major if I take care of them. Sure there will always be a minor thing here or there, but the major wallet breakers you guys are talking about are unheard of with a Cummins if you take care of it. I would have no problem getting in either my 95 or my 02 and driving to Cabo from Texas after a quick servicing of the truck at anytime. My 95 has more than 350,000 miles and my 02 has 228,000 miles.

I am currently putting a 5.9 Cummins in a 95 Chevy for my dad. It is a tight squeze, but it fits.

manicmechanic

RDC Crypto
I am currently putting a 5.9 Cummins in a 95 Chevy for my dad. It is a tight squeze, but it fits.[/QUOTE]

Probably still easier to work on than the new 6.4.

michael_loomis

RDC Crypto
HAHA.. Ford electronics. WAJ.

Sorry to continue the thread clutter.

I do agree with the additional warranty though... a must have!

spi6616

RDC Crypto
So has the after market come to the rescue on the EGR/ Oil cooler issue?
I have been through a few of them, as well as everything else that goes wrong with the 6.0. I love the truck, but hate the engine. If I had not paid it off two years ago it would be gone. The only thing saving it is that I don't want a truck payment. 12V motor in the ole ranch truck is looking mighty tempting. Damn Dodge truck fell apart around the engine.:D

less then 10,000 miles left, I think a trip to the extended warrenty store is in order.:(

http://www.ntshoptools.com/ Try these guys. Ken and Gene Neal are good guys and are one of us (desert racers/pit support) for the DA guys.
Ken has fixed the EGR issue and is heavily working on the other Super Duty 6.0 issues oil filter (remote) oil cooler and bezel bolt-in kit and some cool machined part for the ultimate fix on the pesky (Costly) 6.0 diesel issues.

manicmechanic

RDC Crypto
You can disconnect the EGR throws a fault but cuts out the clouds until you get a new cooler.

Baja Fool

RDC Crypto
Bought my '03 new and had the option of buying a 6.0 or 7.3 (last year of production), Took the 7.3 and have had zero problems. Forget the Cummins, just get a 7.3.

I know, easier said than done...

justin meyers

RDC Crypto
got an 03 with a 6.0 and have had my fair share of problems. seems like every 4 months something small goes. some days i hate the truck and want to drive it off a cliff and others it runs like a champ. wish i would of got the 7.3. my new problem is a slight clunk when i let off the gas in 1st, and im sick of getting raped by the dealer ($140 just to diagnose). i tow with the truck everyday.. 4,600 lb concrete pump (pumps are F**n bricks with torsion susp) not counting the weight off the hose, so i feel that the problems with the truck are somewhat my fault towing everyday. next truck will be a dodge unless ford fixes the bugs!

Stone Crawler

RDC Crypto
http://www.ntshoptools.com/ Try these guys. Ken and Gene Neal are good guys and are one of us (desert racers/pit support) for the DA guys.
Ken has fixed the EGR issue and is heavily working on the other Super Duty 6.0 issues oil filter (remote) oil cooler and bezel bolt-in kit and some cool machined part for the ultimate fix on the pesky (Costly) 6.0 diesel issues.

Thanks for the link.

JGunn

Lone Gunnman
RDC Crypto
I had some problems with the turbo blowing the hose off the tube. Then a good scuff on the tube with oxide sand cloth and a tiny bit of high-temp silicone with 12-24 hour cure and it's all good.

I did need to ratchet strap the hose on once just to get to the destination before the fix.

JD Durfey

RDC Crypto
Website
www.myspace.com
I am currently putting a 5.9 Cummins in a 95 Chevy for my dad. It is a tight squeze, but it fits.

Probably still easier to work on than the new 6.4.[/QUOTE]

The "tight squeeze" is due to the 5.9 being a longer engine than the old 6.5 that was in his truck. But other than some wiring to work out for the gauges and not being able to fit an intercooler it is going to be a pretty easy swap.