Weave pattern

Jerry Zaiden

Vince when you are in OC come by the shop and we will give you some pointers!

Harrenstein

I think guys posting vidoes on here of welding techniques would be great since there is such a wide range of welding experince on this forum.

mcheck

STEEEKERS!!
i would be very iterested in seeing a video of this technique as well

Jerry Zaiden

I just ordered a new HD camera today, it should be here Monday. If all goes well we should have a video by next Wednesday!

Jerry Zaiden

Well I got the new camera today. I did not have time to film TIG welding but here is a small clip on some MIG welding. I will see what I can do tomorrow to get some TIG welding showing the weave technique.

Make sure you click on the HD logo in the Youtube player.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9155CwbFRA"]YouTube - Testing out the new Panasonic HMC 150[/ame]

punchdrunk monkey

so is that the "whip" technique? Move forward then bring it back, move forward then bring it back to get the beads laying on top of each other?

Horn3yHort0n

Ive noticed many people like dragging it then pushing it back and so on. I cant seem to lay good beads that way. I can lay a better looking weld by doing a C shape. Any upsides or downsides to each technique.

Prerunin554

Ive noticed many people like dragging it then pushing it back and so on. I cant seem to lay good beads that way. I can lay a better looking weld by doing a C shape. Any upsides or downsides to each technique.
I was using this technique as well, then a good friend came over and yelled at me. My beads did not come out clean with this style (C sweep) though- uneven spaces, not always the equal size... since then i have been trigger welding, and everything looks much cleaner and i seem to be getting better penetration

Jerry Zaiden

Here is a small video of the first pass click the HQ in the player to see it in HD. Keep a steady flow of rod and keep the weld bead smooth. Kind of like a fusion weld but with plenty of filler material. On .120 wall tube set the amperage around 130 amps and run full power, this will dictate your speed. Keep in mind this is with a good fitment of the tube.

I will get better video tomorrow. I am still learning how to use my new camera :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOpiwarg61k"]YouTube - TIG welding first pass in the weave process.[/ame]

Dezertpilot

Beautiful Jerry! Looks great, thanks for posting for us.

punchdrunk monkey

Lincoln 275

Here is an example of the first pass. Real smooth, good fill....

How strong is that weld like it is? I think it looks bitchen smooth like that. What angle do you lay the torch at? It looks like (90 deg being perpendicular to work) it's laid over like 30 deg from horizontal?