Website Changes

FormulaNine

Just wanted to let everyone know that the F9 site just got a minor overhaul. Aside from the new winners picture(s!), I have deleted the link to "News", updated some points, and re-arranged the "Tech" section. This section which used to have all the links on it is now called "Links" (Why didn't I think of that sooner!). The "Tech" section now contains links to a couple of technical articles. The first is the rebuild, and the second is the front beam replacement (NEW!). Somewhere, I have pictures for an article on a complete race prep; this may be next. I hope that others of you may wish to contribute an article. It doesn't have to fancy. Just a few words and some pictures. "Tech Tips", "Tire Tips", "Air Filter Tips"...whatever, you get the idea.

When I deleted the "News" section, I looked back to the first entry. That was the day we "went on the air". 9-21-00. It doesn't seem like it was a year ago. We have had nearly 10,000 hits in that time. I can hardly believe that! The website has grown so much in that time; mostly thanks to you the drivers. It is your contributions of pictures and results that make the site a worthwhile endevour. FormulaNine.com was started because I had a Class Nine car, and could find NOTHING on the web about Class Nine. Class Nine now has a home. It has been a distinct pleasure to meet many of you. Regardless of what the future brings, there will always be swing axles and ball joints!

Cheers, F9

FormulaNine

Progress report:

Replacing your front beam is not for the faint of heart! Spent the better part of he day cutting, grinding, and welding. Should have pix of an installed beam by Wednesday night. This is not something you'll want to do every week!

From the garage, F9

FormulaNine

Progress report II:

The 2nd installment of the beam replacement is on-line. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.formulanine.com/beamprep.htm>Click Here</A> to see it.

Thanks, F9

Protech975

Re:New Front-End

Tim
Great pictures of your new nose job! Even greater to see there is another knuckle buster garage mechanic out there!
One thing did catch my eye, the new spindle gussets. Have you used this type before? I bought a pair from Kartek and installed them on a fresh set of spindles and after only 3 laps into our next race both spindle steering arms were bent down about 1/2 in. gusset and all! I have found that a flat gusset that is 1/4 in. thick is much stronger. With that bend in the gusset and its narrower design. It's like bending your elbow and trying to keep your arm straight when you push on something, now try it with your arm straight and locked..... I would like to know if anyone else has had a problem like this?
I still have those bent spindles and will try to get you a picture of them, also a balljoint bent at a 45o angle and cracked but not broken! "Lemforder" Rob. #975

mike_hinson

Tim,
I used the straight gussets for the same reason. I got them from Joel Mohr. They were cut very accurately and needed very little prep before welding. Of course, I don't have any actual data on the braces, but the straight ones just look stronger to me. I'll have data after the car is completed and raced. I too congratulate you on the fine "nose" job. Keep the pics comming. Mike

TimHayosh

A word about prepping spindles...DON'T! Buy 'em from Joel. He sells them race-ready for a reasonable price. After a day-and-a-half today, I'm just about done. I was welding-in those spindle gusset's when I ran out of wire in the welder. I don't have any first hand experience with this particular gusset. I was trying to use as much "off the shelf" stuff as I could. I think the observations about the strength of this style gusset are probaly true. Thus, go back to the second sentence of this post!

Anyway, I should have it back down off the jack stands by tomorrow. I have some interesting (to me anyway) pictures of how I did the Delrin...Stay tuned for the shocking details.

And yes Rob, that garage is the home of the busted, burnt, and bruised knuckle!

A realization: After this beam replacement, no part of this car will be more than a year old (except the chassis tubing). Wow.

That's it for now.

Cheers.

FormulaNine

MORE changes...

I got a notice from my web host that F9 had exceeded the amount of space that I pay for. They suggested deleting a few "log" files. I don't know exactly what they are, but they were huge. Now the site is under their maximum size.

While going through various files, I found several pictures that were on the front page. These were the winners from each race. Rather than deleting those files, I have created a gallery for them to be displayed. There are many that are missing. If you are a winner, let me know the name of the race and I'll find it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.formulanine.com/winners.htm>Click here</A> to see the page.

I'm headed to the CODE race in a few hours. Hope to have some pix when I get back. Also, if you have a picture of Joe Sheble winning the SNORE race last weekend, please send it my way.

iAdios!