Weekends race reports ?

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
BITD Toapah and MDR Nightrace - Race reports ?

What happend ? Who won ?

hammer

Reaction
Tonopah:

Weyhrich class 1 and the overall win.

MDR:

Richard Boyle class 1 and the overall win.
Whit Courtneay class 10 win.

Tom_Willis

Reaction
MDR night race. Total registered and tech'd, 93 entries, including 40 trucks. (Not 4, like the last night race in Barstow). High finishing rate, no race-related injuries. BLM and SBC sheriffs did not report any incidents. Biggest classes: 7S and prerunner truck class, with 12 entries in each, plus 11 JeepSpeed trucks. How many showed up for BITD?

JCA

Reaction
Had a great time at the MDR Night Race. We were 5th out of 12 off the line. By the start of the third lap we were running in third. We did a drivers change and I got in. At about race mile 5 I was passing a buggy and hit a rock (more like a boulder). I thought we were done but Rodd Fantelli from Fantelli Motorsports and my co-driver got the truck back together. We had quite a bit of down time though and were limping the truck around. We finished 4 out of 5 laps before we timed out but the truck was still running and under its own power. Dumb mistake on my part but thats racing.

Big Thanks to my crew, Rodd Fantelli (you are the Mcguiver of the dez) and all the spectators that helped us out. We could not have finished the last 2 laps without all of your help. Also a Big THANKS to all the volunters that help MDR and the MDR Staff. It was a great race and lots of fun. It would have been a lot more fun if I did not hit that dang rock though. See everyong next time.

J.C. Andrews
Andrews Racing
www.andrewsracing.com

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
MDR:

Well another great time was had at this race! The Piece had a slight problem on the prerun on Friday, we started smelling something and we couldn't figure out what it was and the temp was fine so we kept going. About mile 23 or so the center support bearing (carrier bearing) blew out. Kurt and Jakob and the other guys went on and finished their prerun lap and then went to get the trailer. After about 30min of just sitting there I got sick of doing nothing so I fixed it so we could limp it back to camp. Saturday we spent most of the day looking and ordering a new part from in the main town. Got it fixed and the Piece was ready to chase.

The race started fine and we were chasing for JC, Kurt, and Jakob and we heard Jakob on the radio say that they were sitting upside down at mile 5. We got there ASAP and both Jakob and Co-Driver Steve were ok. Steve was not feeling good enough to get back in though. So I was banded for riding with JC later, so I hopped in the 5/1600 car so Jakob could keep going. Did 3 laps just crusing the car with our only problem being a rear flat that was from the roll. We got out and Kurt and his co-driver got in to finish the car.

Had a blast like always, need to thank the Toyota of Hunington Beach Team for helping with my carrier bearing. Also way to go JC and Rodd and crew for getting that truck back together, I saw a pic and the front end was pretty much gone before they fixed it. Also way to go Dennis (#1101) for another great finish, we were behind him for a while and at one point all we see is the underside of his car and then the side of it, he hit pretty hard and don't ask me how he didn't roll! Can't wait for the next race!

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

kurt

Reaction
MDR: Yes another fun race! The 5-1600 did 3 and 1/2 rolls at mile marker 5 on the first lap pinned flat out in fourth gear, a big off-camber hole at that spot just shot the shorter wheel base cars out of the track, luckily everyone was allright. We did manage to finish and got the Dusty Times award of $100 bucks to the last official finisher!!!!!!
We also were running the Coyote 10 car (#1049) and we were flying the first lap, caught up to #1021(Frank?) and ran in their dust for half the lap, just couldn't see enough to get around. Finally had some wind and started to make a move and had a wire come off the MSD system when we hit a hole, little down time and got running again only to have the motor go south on lap 2 thus ending our day.
Thanks to all who helped - Tim, Angela, Jakob, Steve, Sam, Josh, John, Austin, Ryan, Ryan 2, Justin, the Coyote crew, Matt and Jim (Team Kwik Racing) and main pit crew cheif Mike (Baja Race Products) and anybody else I forgot!!! Special thanks to Tim & Jeremy Lindsay who covered us at pit B and we kept busy all night!! Thanks!

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
If anyone is interested in the "OTHER" race this weekend, Chuck Hovey took the class 1 victory in the "Old Beam Car" at the Code/Frt Grand Prix on saturday.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
This is pic at the big rockpile area that claimed JC's truck:

And here are some of the results from the latest nerfing contest involving the Piece and Justin's truck.

Here is JC's truck after hitting the boulder.

Go Big Or Go Home
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

desertracer

Reaction
The night race proved to to be a great race for us, We managed to get second in class 1 and seventh overall. We were able to get clean air the first lap, although we were still 2 minutes down from car #117. But after the first lap the clean air was all done, once we hit lap traffic it got difficult to pass in the dust. We did not have to nerf anybody because everybody was willing to pull over with just the horn. The course was super tight around mm30 I think where the two rocks were tight up to each side of the course. Other than that it was a great race, the course was fairly smooth and fast. Thanks to all at MDR for putting on such a great race.

MDR #112

vman

Reaction
Yes there were 40 trucks but almost all were sportsman and the jeep sleep class . Come on look at the true off-road classes 1, 10, 1-2-1600 5-1600 and 9 = 40 cars . I am glad to see all the sportsman classes racing , but in a night race it's a bitch to pass them . Most are big and throw up more dust . Just my 2 cents

racing

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
Had a great time this weekend at the MDR race. Congrats to JC for getting the truck back up and running so fast. It was quite a site to see you making that turn then seeing some sparks fly and your tire bouncing away from your truck :). Not sure how you were able to drive about 30 feet to get off the course on only 3 tires :).

My friend Matt also got that Jeepspeed that almost rolled in the begining of the race, he'll get it uploaded and post it.

Other then that it was a great race, great people, and NO SLEEP! And for future reference, its not a good idea to climb to the rock mountain with 7 people and the only thing you have for a light is the flash of a camera every 30 seconds lol.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Tonopah was a pretty beat up course. The blow sand captured 7 trucks for 2.5 hours which included us, Braden(who got himself out in about 30 minutes), vinje, Olliges(MacCacren's Stock mini Truck with busted 4wd) and some other small size trucks and suv's. Casey extended the pit closing times because 3 BITD support vehicles got stuck trying to retrieve the trucks after taking an hour and half to get to the scene. Once the truck got yanked out it was smooth racing from there. Got my first ride in the race truck and it was badass. Course was beat and choppy and some places were marked bad. Well we finished in 3rd @ 10h 08min, 6 minutes behind Braden (another lothringer truck) and exactly 2.5 hours behind the Warren's truck who did not get stuck in the madness at mile 24. Have to say it was a great race. Just wanted to know if Ryan from TCS ever made it home from the bar...and to the Herman boys...I owe you for the burrito and taco....if you ever even got the food.

I do have to say though there was some bad scenes outside of the race course. Mongo racing's support vehicle rolled over on the access road coming from pit 2. The roll over was pretty bad and included a lady and 2 little girls ages 9 and 4. We were first on scene and could not believe what we saw. From the looks the Explorer Sport was coming over the crest of the access road and hit some 4" stutter bumps which made it skate side ways and then overcorrected and hit the lip on the side and then over it went and turned itself 180 in the air. I do have to say the the little girl Chessica was so smart and was leading the group down the access road for help becuase the adult got cracked in the head too hard. I hope you guys are ok and I hope you got to miss a day of school Chessica.

Next accident was on the way out of town north on the 95 there was a huge fatality accident. Lady fel asleep and swerved into opposite lane and a motorhome went off the opposite side to avoid it but then the Z71 behind the motorhome hit it and rolled 4 times leaving all sorts of parts scattered everywhere then a dodge came through and went head on with the car that initially swerved. Well the original car that swerved had 3 occupants and the driver(a lady) was killed. THe other passengers were transported to the hospital. The lady could not be removed from the car for maore then an hour becasue the damage was so bad. We had turned around to go through death valley and when we got to about Pahrump an NHP said the lady had still not been removed becaseu they could not get the car apart. So the rotting corpse was in the 114 degree heat for over 3 hours andI am not even sur ewhen they got her out.

But, overall it was a fun trip. Thanks to Kevin Davis for letting me ride and thanks to Steve Lang for driving fast and keeping me holdin on.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

Jack

Reaction
The 1701 Jeep driver Mike was surprised it did not go over, but it did some damage, tore a brake line and just about tore the steering box off, we fixed this at pit B and sent him on his way, It was about a 20 minuet repair time and took it easy the rest of the race to finish with three brakes and the steering box welded to the craked "frame" rail. We had a good time and set up a very visable pit at B with a strobe light (was this a problem for any drivers? If so let me know and I wont do it again.) even with all the dust of the first hour or two of racing. Only injuries in our camp was a quad roll only resulting in a scraped elbow.

frankh

Reaction
Let's see where to start.

The 117 car had some problem with the computer killing the engine. somthing like 20 times on the first lap seemed Temp related because as the night got cooler it started happen less. Other then that no flats or any other problem. 1st in class 1st overall

1021 start out fine, flat on lap one, bye lap 3 engine was lossing power at pit b and c they were checking for plug wire and thing like that but it was not exstenal. On start of lap 4 he stopped at main for fuel , one of the left side shock bolts broke and cut a groove in the tire replace both. engine covered in oil including on top, and lots of value train noise ? two quarts of oil. give him the take it easy talk and off he goes. Get ready to retrive him. Hard to belive it made it to the finish. Third in class. congrads to Dennis for getting to the finish line

1477 got stuck at check 2 first lap, Lost all power on lap 2 before pit B soming with the battery, start lossing voltage on the end of lap three fisished. never got the times so we still don't know what place.

507 well what can you say vented the cast with a 2in hole at mile 10 on the first lap.

Congrad to the Jet car 1st in class and 3nd overall

Bonzen

Reaction
Hey all that cruised.....
Good times had by all, once again, "the Piece" brought us home, after a short bout with a blown carrier bearing. Stuck out in the burning desert for 3 hours but we got it working with the help of.... guess what.... duct tape and a ratchet strap. The racing was pretty good, some bad luck for JC (732)who was thrown a little out of control by a wicked rock in the middle of the road, which caused him to hit another rock, this one the size of a F350.... He got up and running again thanks to the help of the pit crew and some innocent bystanders. It looked like he was running pretty good, but the repairs took too long and time ran out. Hopefully things will work out better next time. JC let me know if there's a day this week you would need some help on the truck, I wouldn't mind cruising over to lend a hand. 577 (Kurt's bug) did pretty well also, despite a nasty roll early on, in which the co-driver, pretty shooken up and slightly injured from the roll had to give up his spot to Austin, who rode the next 3 laps. Congrats to Kurt on the strong finish and for his overwhelming hospitality as he fed and sheltered us, and let me bomb his sand rail around once again!

Unexpected, was the pavement crew aka Jordan, Tyson and the superior wizard himself Jason who showed up at the last minute. hahahaha guys, I was stoked to see you there, and kick it with you! They also brought with them the entire www.desertrangers.com crew(not sure on the URL), who turned out to be a cool group of guys, and hooked me up with brews and a bought some videos. Oh yeah, the piece strikes again, as Justin (light blue glass bandit ranger) decided to provoke me by giving Austins truck a little "tapparoo" Well, needless to say, he couldn't have done it at a better spot, right in front of like 50 people(including Jen and Greg from UP) As the tale is told, I threw it in reverse and stood Justins truck up on two wheels, where he was basically done.....Hey, I had to keep up the reputation for Austin, right? Lesson learned? Don't mess with the piece, especically when I'm driving.... Austin was riding at the time, and I told him over the race radio what had happened, and he was stoked as he was being beat inside a 5/1600 bug somewhere out in the desert.

Overall, it was a fun and eventful trip, and I always have a great time with all you guys. See you all next time! Peace!

-Ryan
www.bonzenproductions.com

AaronDixon

Reaction
We were also stuck in that Blow sand. We couldn't make it around Braden and we got stuck. We 'high-lifted' the truck out and aired down the tires. We finally got out with some people helping push. We then had to drive the next 20 miles to pit 1 on 5 psi in the rear tires.

I did hear SOMEONE over near you with the throttle pinned for a good long time... Sounded like someone was trying to grenade the thing or something??? What happened over there??? I guess Olliges truck didn't make it to the road crossing.... Something about a blown motor?????????????

Jimmy8

Reaction
Just to let you know, everyone in the Explorer Sport was alright. Talked to one of the guys from the Mongo team this morning. Both the little girls were fine. One just had a skinned knee. The lady in the truck spent the night in the hospital with some head injuries, but is now at home here in Parker.

Trophy Truck #15
www.jimmybeaver.com

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Does anybody know how Al Hogan did in Pro Truck?

See ya in the dirt!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
MDR Results:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://members.aol.com/mdrracing/results_l_8_10_02.pdf>http://members.aol.com/mdrracing/results_l_8_10_02.pdf</A>

Go Big Or Go Home
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Yeah Rob Mac was waiting at the road x-ing for Olliges and he never showed. We saw you come through pit 1 with low tires. We killed one beadlock and 1 spare from lack of air pressure. Next time there is some crap like that they need support vehicles there to pull out stuck vehicles. What kind of fun is blowing a motor because of being stuck...if it was only 1 truck stuck then thats bad luck but with 7 trucks stuck and only 2 able to get themselves out with manpower...that sucks. We were ready to launch "Greengo" to go pull everybody out but they would rather have their BITD officials get stuck out there and take even longer. I think we were the only one that made it to pit 1 of the of the trucks that had to be pulled out.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"