Welder?

Jack

Reaction
I'm thinking of buying a welder, for some home fab work (bumpers, trusses and cage). At the same time thinking about being able to use it for chasing. Is there anything out there that is self contaned (has an engine or runs off you truck engine) that will have good penitration up to 1/4" material. All I see like this is stick, and I was hopeing for a Mig or Tig (not sure which I want).

And oh ya should be light, cheap and relyable..
Where to buy?

thanks

Maybe this is a wet dream, but I thought I'd ask

shrek

Reaction
A lincoln SP-125 and a 6K generator is what we use. It has saved our and many others a$$ too many times to count. We have welded everything from Control arms to the pully bolt on a VW engine because it was stripped and everything in between. Plus, you are every racers best friend in the middle of the desert if you have a welder. Matt

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

Jack

Reaction
When I look at the lincolns, there are about 3 models that are 175, what is the diference besides the price? It seems when ever I run into somone with a welder in the dez. the problem seems to be the gen they have is not enough to run the welder at full so you don't get any penitration. will this be a problem for a 175, dont they take 220?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I think the differences are the duty cycles and the upgrade from a coarse adjuuter to an infinite rheostat type adjsuter.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

shrek

Reaction
To find out how many watt generator you need for anything is a pretty simple calc., but nobody seems to know this. You take the AMPs that the "thing is pulling and multiply it by the voltage (ie. 120/220/440) and you have your watts. Then you know what size generator you will need. Ours runs great on a 6K generator or 6000 watt generator.

Hope this helps

Matt

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!

AZmiik

Reaction
You might also consider getting an engine driven welder like a Lincoln Ranger or a Miller Bobcat. Both of these boxs do stick right out of the box and have wirefeeders that can be added on later. Also I would say TIG in the field wouldn't really be an option if there is any wind. It tends to blow out the shielding gas. Though if you need it you can get a TIG torch with a build in gas valve and an argon cylinder and hook it up to a arc welding power supply. This will give you a touch start TIG that should be good for most mild and stainless steels.

Mike

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
They have mig welders that you can hook directly to your car battery and they seem to work good. I think they are about 4 or 500 bucks.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

jeff

Reaction
If you want to go the mobile route check out the links below. A buddy of mine runs these on his rock crawler and has good success. He writes product reviews for Off-Road.com and I've seen these welders in action. Welding 1/4" inch with them might be pushing it - not sure I'd want to trust my life on the penetration at that thickness but they do lay down a surprisingly nice bead once you get used to them. Tony says it works on 1/4" and the manufacturer says it works on 1/4" but I have no idea how strong it really is. Just cuz it sticks doesn't mean it's right.

They work pretty well and in the middle of broke-ass-nowhere they are absolutely worth every penny spent. Just get used to the weird way those battery operated welders are wired to the batteries. I didn't say battery either, dual batteries is strongly recommended! I've seen guys swear at their welders because they haven't wired them correctly. For some reason running a cable from + on one battery to - on another just freaks people out. Show them the correct wiring path and voila!

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/new/welder.htm

Aloha

azrace

Reaction
Don't forget Lincoln supports motorsports and you can get a discount through them. They sponsor off road so i recommend them..Check into it.