• Forum membership has its advantages....

Welders...? What would you buy

Robin Hood

What would you buy?

I'm thinking about buying a new mig welder or possibly a multi-process. I currently have an old Miller 185 and I think I want to try something new. I was originally thinking I wanted to buy a Lincoln, specifically the 256 with the $500 rebate $1,999, but with so many options and newer technology, I'm not so sure that is the best choice. I have a tig welder so a multi-process is not necessary.

Exp24

Always a fan of Miller welders, haven't tried any Lincoln products. All the shops I worked at used Miller. Depends on what level of welding looking to do and how much. Craigslist usually has used ones for the hobby shop enthusiast

I've personally owned a Lincoln Power Mig 256 (MIG) and Everlast PowerTig 200DV (TIG) and have had issues with neither. Sold the Lincoln purely to free up some cash, and am borrowing a Miller 212 in it's place. I also like the Miller - main differences are that the Lincoln had a digital readout that I really enjoyed, whereas this Miller doesn't. Next one I'm looking at is the ESAB Rebel EM 215IC (MIG only) - I want the dual voltage to use in the shop, and in the chase truck at races.

I'm not a professional. I do all my own fabrication and welding on my race vehicle/etc. I think that so long as there isn't a specific function that you're looking for that some manufacturers don't offer, you can't really go wrong with any of the mainstream names. Welders are like trucks - everyone will swear by their favourite name brand/colour even if it was the exact same product.

bullnerd

I wasn't going to say anything until i saw HLP mention ESAB. I lost my mig in a garage fire and have been looking also.

The one I am interested in is the ESAB 215ic.

It comes with a Tweco gun and Victor flow meter, that seems pretty good to me.

Have seen nothing but good reviews on it.

Same as HLP, i'm just a hobbyist.

Interested in members here opinion on them.

Good luck Mr. Hood.

bullnerd

I hate tweco guns.

The more complex the machines are, the more they cost to fix. I'm sticking with my old school stuff without any fancy crap on them.
Do you even weld anymore?

Ive seen some complaints about the miller guns.

What about ESAB in general? Any good?

partybarge_pilot

Do you even weld anymore?

Actually, quite a bit.

At work.........

We have the new Lincoln MP210's. They are pretty impressive little machines. While they are great for being portable, I don't think I would want one at home. Lack of AC on the TIG and having to manually turn on the gas while TIGing would blow if you had to use it all the time.

Robin Hood

Actually, quite a bit.

At work.........

We have the new Lincoln MP210's. They are pretty impressive little machines. While they are great for being portable, I don't think I would want one at home. Lack of AC on the TIG and having to manually turn on the gas while TIGing would blow if you had to use it all the time.
A sale price on the Lincoln MP210 is what got me looking again. But after a little research and discovering you can't keep both bottles connected like a Miller, I don't think I would ever use the Tig side of it. To much of a PITA switching everything over. I also agree about the manual gas switch. Another reason I would never use it.

isdtbower

I suffered with a Miller 185 for Too Long. I bought the Miller 211 a couple years ago and what a difference. Nice to have dual voltage. 110 to weld at the neighbors house and very thin sheet metal. I had one trailer project that required a lot of power and time. It never gave up. Smaller wire rolls are OK with me because I think they stay fresher. The big rolls would last 10 years and always wondered when the 185 acted up. Esab was a consideration but been Miller. The 185 almost changed brands for me though. For a trailer project 15 years ago, I borrowed a HTP to finish it and was great. I should have ditched the 185 at that time. Auto helmet technology has improved. I can see out much better today. Lately a Lincoln. Hobbyist so need all the help I can get. TIG is Dynasty.

Robin Hood

Having dual voltage is not a big deal to me, however it seems most the the smaller units come with it now days.

Does anyone have any experience with the Miller 255?

I think my short list at this point would be:
Miller 211
Esab 215ic, but would probably spend the extra money and get the 235IC
Miller 255

I thought my next welder would be a Lincoln, but after looking around they don't seem to have the best option. I thing the miller 255 would be a better option to the Lincoln 260.

isdtbower

What Lincoln are you currently running?
Lincoln Helmet. I have been using an older Speedglas and could never see a good puddle. Me or the helmet???? New Lincoln was a game changer.

Most body shops run 110 volt for sheet metal work. I was not successful on 220 but thin was a piece of cake on 110. Why I bought the 211.

Robin Hood

I find it interesting that 110 helps welding thin metal. You would think that you could just turn down the perimeters on a small 220 machine. I thought mine was a 185 but it is acutally a 180. I'm not sure if that is just an older model than the 185?

burninfuel

Search results for query: Everlast

1. H
    Welders...? What would you buy
    I've personally owned a Lincoln Power Mig 256 (MIG) and Everlast PowerTig 200DV (TIG) and have had issues with neither. Sold the Lincoln purely to free up some cash, and am borrowing a Miller 212 in it's place. I also like the Miller - main differences are that the Lincoln had a digital readout...
  2. [IMG alt="Dezert00Taco"]https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/data/avatars/s/4/4898.jpg?1409508679[/IMG]
    Everlast powertig 255 EXT?
    We have had ours for over a year and they are awesome. We actually have 3 of them now and will probably be adding another one to the shop shortly.
  3. [IMG alt="burninfuel"]https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/data/avatars/s/20/20822.jpg?1390372153[/IMG]
    Everlast 250 Amp PowerTIG 250EX IGBT Digital Inverter AC/DC Stick/TIG Welder with High Frequency and Lift TIG Start, 240V-PowerTIG 250EX - The Home Depot
  4. [IMG alt="JP_JCM"]https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/data/avatars/s/52/52722.jpg?1550686190[/IMG]
    I have had a 325ext for the past 3.5yrs and wont waste my money on a miller machine after using the everlast. It has been a great machine to me
  5. [IMG alt="Fifty"]https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/data/avatars/s/51/51924.jpg?1533353694[/IMG]
    ...in a reasonable time. Plus the return on the investment with hobby and odd jobs here and there doesn’t seem the smartest plan. I tried a everlast powertig 185 dv and it really pointed out how spoiled I was by the miller. That being said, it was suggested I look at the higher up model of the...
  6. [IMG alt="Castle"]https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/data/avatars/s/53/53064.jpg?1560353280[/IMG]
    TTB Jeep JK
    ...and such before I reach the point of no return and start cutting everything out from under my front end. Also got a new welder, an Everlast multi-process unit. Tig, stick, and plasma cut from one tiny box. Going to order some uniball kits shortly to replace the bushing on the beams. Ill...
  7. [IMG alt="gcddarren"]https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/data/avatars/s/11/11493.jpg?1390372102[/IMG]
    Buying A TIG welder.(need advice)
    How are you liking the everlast? I am in looking at welders myself. I use a dynasty 250 all day at work so im hesitant switch. I would say watch a lot of welding tips and tricks videos on you tube. I know this is not right but the way i start to each people to weld is a row of dimes is basically...
  8. [IMG alt="justin_mx"]https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/data/avatars/s/31/31814.jpg?1390372195[/IMG]
    Longevity plasma cutter?
    Where can you get the Everlast for $500 shipped to your door? I have search for a little while and came up with nothing close to that. Might be interested in one for $500, especially with that 5 year warranty
  9. [IMG alt="burninfuel"]https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/data/avatars/s/20/20822.jpg?1390372153[/IMG]
    Longevity plasma cutter?
    I'll go with the Everlast IGBT inverter tech. $500 to your doorstep and works flawlessly. Why blow .070 " of molten metal when this is only .011" I think it's 70 watts and will do 3/4" plate. anything and everything has been easy. Told a fabricator and he bought one and has it in his CNC...
  10. [IMG alt="DezerBlingMoto"]https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/data/avatars/s/28/28031.jpg?1390372182[/IMG]
    Ok , so I pulled the trigger on a Everlast 200DX Tig welder. I found it at sears for 1097.00 + tax for a total of =1167.32. So I was wondering if someone can give me a little shopping list im going to need other then the machine to start practicing out the gate? I have a bottle ready to get...
  11. [IMG alt="DezerBlingMoto"]https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/data/avatars/s/28/28031.jpg?1390372182[/IMG]
    ...as I did with my MIG welders. Thank you for the pointers there much appreciated an yes I have been all over that guys site.My question is can I buy any torch set-up and adapt it to the everlast welder? That was the only negative thing I heard from the everlast 200DX , the torch was too bulky.
  12. H
    ...they can get warm but like I said unless your constantly on it you dont need it and learning the air cooled is more than enough! I bought my everlast machine a few years ago and I think I paid 1199 for it and it came with everything except the bottle. I own 4 very large bottles anyway, 2...
  13. H
    yes they are green, it will work well for you and wont break your wallet
  14. [IMG alt="DezerBlingMoto"]https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/data/avatars/s/28/28031.jpg?1390372182[/IMG]
    Thank you , Thank you !!! Thats exactly for the info I was looking for . I'm leaning into a everlast. Those come in neon green correct ?
  15. H
    I have 5 Tig welders,including a Dynasty 200 DX. I also have a everlast 200 DX that welds every bit as good as my high dollar machine. I also have a Lotos 3 in 1 machine that cost about 500 bucks that also has a plazma cutter as part of the function and it tig welds every bit as good as my high...
  16. [IMG alt="mojavesmostwanted"]https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/data/avatars/s/23/23704.jpg?1390372166[/IMG]
    everlast welders?
    I have had my everlast power tig 250 ex for going on 4 years now and the only problem I had was the torch is big and bulky and the pedal is junk within a month, with that said I bought an aftermarket pedal from ssc controls and it works great! Best $1500 I ever spent
  17. T
    everlast welders?
    I have been researching these everlast welders and ended up on this thread. I am sure they have updated models since this thread started and I am wonder if there are any personal reviews for them. I found this article which tells the difference between Everlast welders models...
  18. [IMG alt="michael_loomis"]https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/data/avatars/s/0/171.jpg?1515631091[/IMG]
    Black Socks
    I got some Everlast ankle highs at Big 5 awhile back. I diggem cause they dont have any logos, and feel so good when I put my shoes on. Holding up well.
  19. [IMG alt="MALIBLOC"]https://www.race-dezert.com/forum/data/avatars/s/4/4308.jpg?1390372061[/IMG]
    ufc fight
    ...Greg Jackson’s Submission Fighting, Wolfslair Winner: Greg Jackson’s Submission Fighting BEST MMA GLOVES MANUFACTURER Candidates: Everlast MMA, Fairtex, Hayabusa, Triumph United, UFC Winner: UFC BEST OVERALL MMA CLOTHING MANUFACTURER Candidates: Affliction, One More Round...
  20. T
    everlast welders?
    I'm the friend who bought the Everlast welder. I would love to have a brand name tig and plasma to match my Miller mig. The problem is that times are tough and can't afford that now. I was offered to buy one at a very good discount. I did lots of research on Everlast v.s. other cheaper type...
Next

Forum software by XenForo® © 2010-2019 XenForo Ltd.

DezerBlingMoto

I have a Everlast TIG with a stick integrated into it which I don't use at all . I love that Everlast, best $800 I ever spent that was before the inflation . lol

Robin Hood

I wasn't really clear in the title or my opening post, but I am looking for a mig welder not a tig. I already have a dedicated tig welder.

I'm currently researching pulse mig welders. My guess is in the nex 5years or so most machines will come with pulse.

axeman

Just bought a miller pulse mig 110/240 volt with an extra torch and rollers for Ally after my Lincoln packed up and it was going to cost just 200 pounds less than the cost of the new miller to fix it
what an amazing piece of equipment been welding .9mm steel today with 1mm wire and its beautiful , welded 2mm thick tube last week and again looked great
can't recommend it enough
haven't tried it on ally yet

Robin Hood

Just bought a miller pulse mig 110/240 volt with an extra torch and rollers for Ally after my Lincoln packed up and it was going to cost just 200 pounds less than the cost of the new miller to fix it
what an amazing piece of equipment been welding .9mm steel today with 1mm wire and its beautiful , welded 2mm thick tube last week and again looked great
can't recommend it enough
haven't tried it on ally yet
Which one did you buy? I haven't seen a 110/240 volt option with pulse.

blue dog

I have a Miller 252 and a Lincoln 256 at work, I like the Miller better for some reason. In my garage at home I have a Hobart ironman 230, excellent machine and excellent bang for the buck, would recommend it too anyone on a budget that wants a 250 amp might machine.
At work I have a dynasty 200 and a syncrowave 250dx, the dynasty is a powerful little package and is a nice machine, but it has had to be repaired 3 times in 2 years. Something about these new fangled inverter machines and all there electronics. Remember that there are a ton of old transformer syncrowave machines that are out there that are ancient, and still plugging along without issue.
Sorry for the rant .
I know multi process machines are convenient, but I say buy separate dedicated machines in the end.
Remember, Hobart ironman 230. Tapped machine, but you will figure it out in no time, just can't dial it in as well as a digital machine, but not enough if a difference to worry about.
I think you can get the machine fir under $1500, and under 2k with a spool gun kit.
Cheers

chatter_splatter

If you are looking for the best bang for your buck then a Millermatic 252 is the best way to go in my opinion. It doesn't have all the fancy (and mostly useless imo) settings and adjustments and it has really precise voltage and wire speed control. I've used a couple of these machines at different Fab shops for a combination of years with zero issues.

If you want a fancy machine that can do it all (or most of it) than the Millermatic 255 is a good way to go. Pretty spendy, but it can do short circuit and pulsed mig, as well as DC Tig (can't do AC Tig though so that sucks if you're doing any aluminum work)

If it were me I would buy a Millermatic 252 and an Everlast 255ext. About the same price as a Multiprocess Machine, but way more flexible.

Lincoln is a good brand, but their quality has gone downhill in recent years IMO. Friend of mine got a brand new 300 amp Lincoln mig welder and the drive motor overheats and he's had a couple other issues out of it. Also had a Lincoln Tig 200 blow the high freq board at work, so replaced it with a Miller Syncrowave 250 from like 1975 and it still works better.