welding certification

boltonbros

Reaction
Is it nesessary to be a certified welder if we are going to start a offroad fab shop. I know our welds are strong because our trucks have held up with the pounding we give em'. I just dont want someone coming back to us complaining that there shock mount is cracked and wants us to fix it for free. Thanks

shower

Reaction
The certification is not required. Do you really think that having the cert. will keep someone from asking for free work?

redline

Reaction
you dont have to be certified. But, if some one comes back with cracked welds or fabwork that is failing you need to repair it for them if you want to keep happy customers. Otherwise you will end up with people going around saying your work is faulty and that you dont stand behind it. If the failing is obviously caused by extreme abuse then that is different though.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Yeah, be careful cause the island is pretty small and you could ruin your reputation with one upset customer! Is there that big of a demand on the island? Never really ever seen any "prerunners" when I've been there, just lots of big disco trucks....

boltonbros

Reaction
that is all i needed to hear. and yes any crappy work done will be fixed. thanks for you replys

UndercoverFab

Reaction
not to sound like a prick but if your going to have a shop I dont think you should let any crappy work get out of the shop in the first place, if I screw somethign up I fix it before the customer gets it. there`s lots of shops that open up but only the good ones stay in business long.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
I have the same question. Are there any pre-runners in Hawaii? Every time I go to the north shore i see tons of huge trucks, and I mean Huge custom lifted 1989-1994 mini trucks with 40's on them. Talk about performance
It does make me laugh though. Good waves in hawaii and good laughs when you see a 40" tire on a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder. O-yea and the inside of the tires stick out past the fenders:)

NicksTrix

Reaction
what would you get certified in? a certification is an abused word from what i see. alot of times a guy brags about how he's certified and all, but then you see his work and he welding sucks. you find out he's certified to maybe stick weld raiings in staircases...
i think just being a high quality welder doing great fab work will serve you just fine. now if you want to start working on aircraft parts,or in a nuke plant that's a whole diffrent story.
just my opinion

DANKFAB

Reaction
I have been looking into being a fabricator of offroad vehicles, and there aren't any schools locally that teach it, especially for offroad. You have to get your own experience by practice and lots of time with trial and error. I am getting an AA degree in welding technology to immerse myself in TIG, MIG, blueprinting, Metal fab layout, Industrial Mathematics, weld inspection, just to name a few of the classes required. I feel I will be much better prepared to go into a shop looking for a job with that under my belt.