Welding Gift Ideas?

Short Bus

Reaction
My son has been in a weld/fabrication program and plans to get a welding job soon. Likely he will be working a production welding job where the main welding and fabrication tools are supplied but he will need personal gear.

What type of stuff would should I consider for gift ideas?

I figured a decent welding jacket would be good. What do you look for in a good jacket?

Welding helmet. What type/features should I look for?

Gloves.

Any other suggestions?

FWIW, the program my son is in is pretty cool. He goes to the local tech college but he is still a senior in high school. The high school has a program where students attend the tech school (at no cost) for the last year of high school but it still counts for high school credit. When he graduates from high school he will also have a year of college credit and will be one year into an associates degree.
The company he is most interested in builds large (huge?) scale parts for mining industry machinery. The tech school has partnerships with a number of local companies that will hire any of the students in the program. The company he is most interested in builds large scale parts for mining industry machinery like this:

vegasloki

Reaction
I find fit to be the most important part of PPE. I had to do some trial and error from the stuff I got online and for some of the other I'm able to use trade shows (particularly Fabtech) to try on other things. I got/get some locally and other things I order. A helmet is a preference thing depending on how you like the fit, the optics under an arc strike being two of them. If he can veiw some pro level helmets under an arc either at school or at the plant it would help.

For a hood I like auto darkening with varying degrees of shade, replaceable lenses. Most of the mid range and up have that. Expect to spend $300-600 for a good hood. I've got a couple, my preference is a Speedglas 9100x right now though some of the newer designs move the mask closer to the face (they have the nose indent) which helps the helmet from tipping forward. For the kind of welding he'll be doing something like a helmet that has an integrated respirator is handy though that can get spendy, over a grand in most cases as well as one with an integrated grind shield.

Most recent version of the one I have from the guys where I got it..

3M Speedglas Welding Helmet - 9100XXi Auto Dark Lens 06-0100-30iSW

Big dog industrial helmet with respirator

3M Speedglas Adflo 9100FX-Air w/9100X ADF 36-1101-20SW

I've been using a Lincoln Redline jacket for a couple years. I like the fit and it's not too hot when I'm working in the shop in the Vegas summer. Heavy Duty Leather Welding Jacket - K2989-M,-L,-XL,-XXL,-XXXL

That may not be appropriate for his type of welding, might not be HD enough. That type is hot, dirty and can be ugly. Something like a traditional heavy duty Tilman is probably a better fit. Fit will be critical, he's going to be out of position likely for most of his welds. This is another place where he can see what works best for those he's around and try some different things. LEATHER

He'll also likely want spats or leggings and need some good work boots.

It's good to see kids going the trade school route in fields that need people. Around here they can't get enough good welders. It's something where an AWS cert, HS and CC diploma will go a lot further than a 4 year degree for many people. It is tough, dirty work.

Short Bus

Reaction
I find fit to be the most important part of PPE. I had to do some trial and error from the stuff I got online and for some of the other I'm able to use trade shows (particularly Fabtech) to try on other things. I got/get some locally and other things I order. A helmet is a preference thing depending on how you like the fit, the optics under an arc strike being two of them. If he can veiw some pro level helmets under an arc either at school or at the plant it would help.

For a hood I like auto darkening with varying degrees of shade, replaceable lenses. Most of the mid range and up have that. Expect to spend $300-600 for a good hood. I've got a couple, my preference is a Speedglas 9100x right now though some of the newer designs move the mask closer to the face (they have the nose indent) which helps the helmet from tipping forward. For the kind of welding he'll be doing something like a helmet that has an integrated respirator is handy though that can get spendy, over a grand in most cases as well as one with an integrated grind shield.

Most recent version of the one I have from the guys where I got it..

3M Speedglas Welding Helmet - 9100XXi Auto Dark Lens 06-0100-30iSW

Big dog industrial helmet with respirator

3M Speedglas Adflo 9100FX-Air w/9100X ADF 36-1101-20SW

I've been using a Lincoln Redline jacket for a couple years. I like the fit and it's not too hot when I'm working in the shop in the Vegas summer. Heavy Duty Leather Welding Jacket - K2989-M,-L,-XL,-XXL,-XXXL

That may not be appropriate for his type of welding, might not be HD enough. That type is hot, dirty and can be ugly. Something like a traditional heavy duty Tilman is probably a better fit. Fit will be critical, he's going to be out of position likely for most of his welds. This is another place where he can see what works best for those he's around and try some different things. LEATHER

He'll also likely want spats or leggings and need some good work boots.

It's good to see kids going the trade school route in fields that need people. Around here they can't get enough good welders. It's something where an AWS cert, HS and CC diploma will go a lot further than a 4 year degree for many people. It is tough, dirty work.
Thanks for this. It does make me think I should probably wait until his job plans are more solid before buying things. I didn't really consider that specific jobs have varying equipment nuances.

MC@ Performance Fab

Reaction
So much personal preference with this stuff, for example I don't like curved, plastic, cover lens, to much distortion. And the type of stuff your working on does make a huge difference, let him do the choosing.

Bricoop

Reaction
Hey SB-I'm going to hijack this thread now that it's dormant.

Looking for some advice. I'm going to be taking welding classes this fall. I'm doing it for personal enjoyment, rather than as a profession. So I don't need top of the line gear, just things that will keep me safe and not break the bank. All my welding will be in a classroom(lab) setting for a hour at a time. I don't think I want to invest in a jacket, I'm thinking a cotton hoodie will be fine. I already have gloves. As far as a helmet, I'd like to keep it under $100, recommendations appreciated. Anything else I should consider for a classroom environment?

Thanks