• Forum membership has its advantages....

Welding Helmet

Jimmy8

Alright, I am going to be buying a new welding helmet in the next month. I want an auto darkening that is solar powered and doesnt run off of batteries. I heard Optrel is good, any suggestions?

"We've done so much with so little for so long, we can do anything with nothing!"

vwguy

at the off road expo the miller booth let you test welders and had you use an auto darkening helmet and im not sure what brand it was but if you find out i reccomend those helmets

how ironic is it that most people slow down for speed bumps yet almost all of us here im sure pin it

Jimmy8

Thats all it will be used for mostly is Tig.

"We've done so much with so little for so long, we can do anything with nothing!"

Waldo

Safehouse
Jimmy, I saw some online a couple of months ago that had some killer flames painted on them. The colors were blue flames or red/orange flames. They were pretty nice but I don't know if they were solarized or AA battery powered! Do some searching on the web to see. That new Satelite from Optrel looks pretty nice...mucho dinero though!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

singlehanded

Have you looked on ebay , thats where I got mine. Its a jackson runs off batteries but have had no problems with it. There is a lot off brand new solar ones on the site check it out. You could just buy one instead of bidding(if it has that option) it will probably be cheaper than at any store. There also are links to stores, some sellers are store owners.

local

Quick_Prerunner

I've heard from some people that the auto darkening masks don't protect you as well as the flip down ones. I use my buddy's carbon fiber one with one of those gold lenses. I love the thing. You can barely tell you have a mask on.

Mike

Jimmy8

My dad has an optrel auto darkening at home, and I love it when I use it. The thing is I am going to be doing some welding hear at college next semester, I need one of my own.

Ryno

Jimmy-

I maybe a fool, but Speedglas also has them. I've used them in the past, and I love them. Lightweight, auto darkening lens. About $300. I dunno how they compare to Optrel, I would think they are a little lighter in the lens.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.