welding helmets

elcaprerunner

Reaction
There was a thread on this a couple of weeks ago called "Welding Hoods", a search for that subject will help you lots. The Harbor Frieght ones are usually cheapies and not that good in quality, try to get an Auto-Dark helmet if you can. I have a Jackson 10 shade Auto-Dark, it works great and I have no complaints with it at all. It was between $100 and $120, and it is the one I recomend. I think they carry them at AirGas.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests

singlehanded

Reaction
auto dark, up to #12 for tig if you have light colored eyes and check ebay got mine jackson their pretty cheap.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

EQuin

Reaction
I took my first welding class last semester. You'll like it. It's alot of fun building stuff, plus you'll learn alot. I signed up for another class this semester.

Anyway, ask around in class which local welding supply store carries the most stuff at the best prices. Most of the local welding supply stores in my area (Dallas) give student discounts of up to 20%. Most of the hoods under $100 I found were Jackson brands ranging in price from $20 to $50. Even Wal-Mart and Home Depot carry them. I think #10 lens is the standard lens in most hoods. The box it comes in should say what the lens is. Ask the sales person at the store just to make sure. When I first started welding, I thought the #10 lens wasn't good enough. So I went back to the store and got a #11 lens to replace it with. I can see better with that, but everyone's different.

Hope this helps. Take care,

Ed Q.

Ed Q.

ACEofSPADES

Reaction
thanks for the replies. i think i am going to go with the speedglass utility.

"KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON"