Welding hoods

Ryno

Reaction
Just got a speedglass for christmas. I love it. I like the lens, it's plenty dark enough...I think a #12. Just wondering what everyone else uses, and likes.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

cleartoy

Reaction
Ive been using the cheapos from Home Depot. Other than the adjustment, ive liked em.

Just got an auto darkening for Christmas. Although its the most comfortable one ive ever worn, it doesnt darken quick enough. I see the arc before it darkens.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

hoeker

Reaction
some are adjustable in how fast they darken. did you check this?

LIGHTS RIGHT
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
Re: Welding helmet

Got the Jackson adj helmet early in Dec. It is the bes one I have used yet. Light and fully adjustable from shade 9-12 also has a sensitivity adj and a delay shut off adj too! It is also powered by a solar panel so that your batteries don't ware out fast. About 145 retail, but I got it for cheap through my old work!

IF ALL ELSE FAILS.......DROP THE "HAMMER"!

cleartoy

Reaction
Ill have to look into that. I dont remember seeing an adjustment on there.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

1992f150

Reaction
I have an Arc One helmet 9-12 shade. If you use manual get one of the gold lenses made by lincoln (i think)

Azusa: shame of the foothills

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
I must say that I am dissapointed that you can't get an auto hood in gold. I would assume that since the human eye can detect more shades of green than any other color that green would be the best choice, but to me it seems to dark for me and if i did not use my hood everyday I would choose the manual gold lense.
Also carefull with the auto hoods and the plastice lense cover, when miging underneath a car or close to the sparks it will melt the lense cover and ultimatly destroy the lense.

fathead1

Reaction
I have the Jackson EQC 3 N 1 master. It has the 9 - 12 adj. sensitivity, and delay as well.
It also has 3 buttons, 1 for grinding ( shade 3 ) torchcut ( shade 5 ) and normal welding. It's nice not having to change the 9-12 shade for different stuff, just press the button for torch or grinding. The only bad part is that it only has two sensor eyes, which can be a problem if you do alot of tig, which I don't, but it has worked great the few times I have tigged. Another guy at the shop here does quite a bit if tig as well as mig and uses the Huntsman Auto View VXL 4X4. It has the 9-12 adj., sensivity, and delay
adjustments, the difference is it has 4 sensor eyes, he has had it for about 3 years and loves it..
I'm don't know what mine cost cuz it was a gift from our rep at Praxair.....

EQuin

Reaction
For welding class, I use a cheapo $30 Jackson brand hood with a #12 lens. Took me awhile to get the "head-flick-down" movement. A few times I wasn't fast enough and pulled the trigger (MIG) before it got all the way down. But luckily no flash-burn. Also, I noticed that when I wear a welding cap (required in class), I sometimes flick my head down hard enough so that the hood falls completely off my head. If I ever get a welder and a garage, I'll most likely splurge and get the more expensive auto-darkening unit.

Take care,

Ed Q.

ACID_RAIN28

Reaction
was not aware of the grinding, torch optoins, gonna definatly look into it for the next purchase. I do a lot of tig work with mine, it has dual sensors, have not really had a problem with it cutting out on me, it will sometimes do it if I am drawing with low amps around a corner.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
I've been usingan OPTREL SATELLITE made by UVEX for about a year and a half now and love it.
two adjustable shade ranges 5-9 &10-14 with a #4 for grinding.Its solar powered,has an adjustable sensor for arc as well as sensitivity and return delay. very light weight, better than an automatic jackson i used to have. There sold at airgas for 400.00 retail (I think) I got it for just under 300.00,work account plus they bought it for me.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.uvex.com/satalite.html>http://www.uvex.com/satalite.html</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by CRAIGHALL on 01/01/03 09:01 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

JOSH

Reaction
i have a Optrel Sattellite as well, Thing is just bad ass. its worth the $$

fathead1

Reaction
Sorry to post on an old thread, but, I just replaced the inner and outer clear protective lense on my helmit, HOLY S##T !!!!! what a difference! I can actually see what I'm am doing,
I had to share this w/ all you, I feel better.
I'll get back to work now.