• Forum membership has its advantages....

Welding Truck M-F, Chase Truck Sat-Sun

ErikIrvine

We've been working on our new welding truck, figured I would post some photos on here. We weld on cell towers, so we need 4x4 w/ aggressive tires to access some of the remote sites. The rest is just fun stuff with plans to use on the weekend.

2016 Dodge 3500 4x4 Cab & Chassis. Cummins 6.7L w/ AISIN Auto Trans. Dual tank, 74 gallon capacity. Picked it up in Oregon, was $44,000 & change. Had 17 miles on it!

Attachments

ErikIrvine

Bought a used 9' Royal body for $2,000, as we needed to make some changes to it prior to paint anyway.

Attachments

ErikIrvine

This weekend we notched the front of the service body to access the welder and bottles more easily. Had to cut and rebuild front door, modify top door, and build new floor deck w/ structural support.

Attachments

ErikIrvine

Next on the list, send to paint. After that we will install the Icon leveling kit & I'm thinking around a 35 in. tire. Does anybody know if you can run a 35 with the stock 18 in wheels?

Attachments

Chris Tobin

Nice rig, if you do engine upgrades as well let me know... Maybe we can have one of our west coast photogs shoot it and run it as a feature truck in Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine...

CMA GUMBY

I ran 37's on stock 17" rims on a 2004 2500 with 2" level kit. Slight rub with steering at full lock. I know, a different animal... That is a hell of a deal. Even including your travel expenses.

ErikIrvine

You're gonna have to change your avatar now. You taking it to baja?
I wasn't planning on it, but since everything is going together smooth, I would say 80% chance we will be towing the Grinch down with this truck

ErikIrvine

IMG_9871.jpg IMG_9872.jpg Jesse, my favorite employee got the Icon 2.5" leveling kit installed on the front, and we had the tire shop install new BFG 325-65-R18 on the stock 18 " wheels.

Got the service body back from paint and installed. We should be wrapping it up this weekend since we plan to take it on some cell jobs this week.

ErikIrvine

She's all done! Spent a long two days mounting everything but it's done and off to work tomorrow!100_0004.JPG 100_0004.JPG 100_0005.JPG 100_0007.JPG 100_0008.JPG 100_0012.JPG

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
Erik, nice setup, looks great!! I just picked up a used F-350 crew cab with a utility bed too. One of my first upgrades will be the 2.5 King Shocks bolt-on coil overs up front and 2.5 King piggyback reservoirs in the rear. Not sure how it will work engineering wise, but hoping I can get air bags out back too for towing assistance.

Also, mounting a new 20 inch LED bar in the bumper and making some engine upgrades to address reliability. Really happy so far.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

ErikIrvine

Frostbite, is that a long bed 4x4? If so you got the most smokenest deal ever! Let's hook up at RATR and check out how eachother set up tools etc

Here's my cost sheet; Truck $44,075, Tax & Reg. $4,200, Bed $2,000, bed paint $1,400, front leveling kit $500, tires $1,500, Total cost $54,000

ErikIrvine

Frostbite, R U planning on getting a mast for your radio or just run a normal antenna?

TMorford

I knew this truck looked familiar on Saturday morning... Viva 524 this weekend.

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
Frostbite, R U planning on getting a mast for your radio or just run a normal antenna?
Of course we can link up at Rage, Erik.

It is a long bed 4x4 with the 5 speed transmission too.

I'm embarrassed to say how good of a deal my Bud Kevin gave me on the truck...needless to say, if I needed to replace the motor tomorrow, I'd still be ahead $$ wise.

BTW, my Scan Guage II computer puts my daily MPG at close 20 MPG with city driving!! I do drive it like a pussycat, though. It also allows me to monitor some important engine data for diagnostics and to detect any of those pesky and dreaded 6.0 diesel issues everyone worries about.

I have a mast that guys-out already, it it a military-style one I picked up military surplus/DRMO. The antenna if frequency cut to size for our primary team frequency. It won't be permanently mounted to the truck, but bundles up in a plastic utility box and then erected on site. It's pretty easy to set up and has a long coaxle cable for some site choice flexibility. I might try to procure a coaxle cable splitter and an output mount somewhere on the bed for more convenient plug in when not using the mobile antenna whip.

My plan with tools and spares storage has been the same for a long time and won't change...lots of Husky tool bags and a couple HD plastic utility boxes which will be indiiviually labeled for tool type /part type for convenient grab and go. I'm going to need to label the utility boxes and bags better too so the crew chief can shout out, or the car can call on the radio, what is needed and the minions can more easily find what is needed on their own for dispatch, if necessary.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zac Reish

Eriks truck kept the baja pre running and race alive. As he would say "you know whats better than owning a brand new bad ass 4x4 diesel truck with tool boxes and welders? Having a friend who owns a 4x4 diesel truck with tool boxes and welder".

ErikIrvine

Haha, good one Zac.

Frostbite, post a pic of your antenna setup! Maybe I'll look for the same style. I was looking at all the trucks down in baja, One guy had an antenna mast that doubled as a parking lot light mount. Said his whole crew loved the high up light more like the sun than something shining in your face

frostbite36

Capt. Hindsight
Haha, good one Zac.

Frostbite, post a pic of your antenna setup! Maybe I'll look for the same style. I was looking at all the trucks down in baja, One guy had an antenna mast that doubled as a parking lot light mount. Said his whole crew loved the high up light more like the sun than something shining in your face
It'll have to wait until RATR. I'll definitely set it up there.