• Forum membership has its advantages....

Welding Truck M-F, Chase Truck Sat-Sun

ErikIrvine

Well this truck is over a year old now, and has treated us right in the desert and on the road working. The truck is out in New Mexico as I type; up on a remote mountain near Truth or Consequences NM, providing tools and power to one of my crews. We bought another truck almost the exact same, except dual rear wheels and use it for the heavier/bigger jobs. I am in the process of outfitting our old retired welding truck (one in avatar) into a general mechanical work truck that we can use as a remote pit truck this year. She ain't new and pretty, which is perfect because who knows who will be driving through the middle of Mexico this year!

ErikIrvine

Here's the starting point for the truck. The bed is 8 ft. wide by 10 ft. long which is huge compared to a normal pickup, there are four 24 in. deep under belly boxes already. I plan to use it for the sole truck on pre-run/shakedown trips, then use it for remote pits and/or chasing on race weekend. Here is a list of things I think we need. If anyone thinks we need more, please let me know!
0. Headache rack & light bar
1. Electric Power - either generator or welder/generator, haven't decided yet
2. 12V-DC work lights, both sides and facing backwards. Will have 110V-AC work lights packed for night races
3. GPS, race radio w/ external speaker, antenna mast, hand held radio
4. Tow straps, come-along, probably won't install a winch
5. Hand tools, power tools, spare race-car parts, fluids
6. Spare truck tire, Qty. 2 spare race-car tires, spot for Qty. 4 dump cans
7. Spot for EZ up, chairs, tent, sleeping gear and travel bags.
8. Qty. 2 nitrogen bottles w/ regulator, hose & air chucks
9. 5 gal water jug
10. Jack & handle, impact gun & battery charger

Attachments

Last edited:

ErikIrvine

Figuring out where I want the work boxes and tall stuff so I can still see out of the rear view mirrors

Attachments

51rcr

the long flat beds are nice. We put a 550 length bed on my kids 350 and added boxes under and on top so its kinda like yours but took off the top level so its low enough he can still haul a goosneck.
Depends on your bottle size and placement you can lower them into the floor. If you dont need enough power to weld you can do a few isolated batteries with a power inverter.