welding wire

boltonbros

when you are welding 3/16 to 1/4 metal what size MIG wire should i be using? i am using .24 is this good enough? thanks

when in doubt throttle it out

singlehanded

seems a little small.

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

cleartoy

.035" is prefered.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

hoeker

035 is prefered IF your welder can handle it.

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

boltonbros

I am going to be using .35 wire but, what grade wire should I use on my 4130 chromoly 120 wall roll cage?

In_the_works

I don't mean to doubt your abilities, but I would hold off on building my roll cage untill I knew exactly what I was doing and had all the variables worked out (wire size, speed, voltage). If I've learned anything from this board, it's that safety comes first. Again, not trying to burn anyone here.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250
'03 Sonoma

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
"I am going to be using .35 wire but, what grade wire should I use on my 4130 chromoly 120 wall roll cage?"

0.35 would be some bigass wire! I think you meant .035, but as previoulsy stated if you dont have enough experience to select a wire type and size...I would stay away from chromoly and roll cages all together for safety reasons. Good luck in your project but I would build everything but the cage first so you can get more experiience and then go for the cage.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

Billy_the_Kid

Wire type for welding chromoly: ER-80S-D2

Sound right??

I wrote that number down from another thread on this board within the last year. Never checked into its validity though.

Bill Schmitt

boltonbros

sorry i did mean .035 wire. and i am making sure that there is not some way or wire type out there to make my welds even stronger than they are now. i wanted to know if someone new more than i did. thanks for your concern though.

hoeker

"ER-80S-D2"
that's what miller recommended to me for tig welding moly. for mig i was told to just use mild steel wire.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.