• Forum membership has its advantages....

well? time to pick the winners of the 2020 dakar rally..who you got?

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
If the Euro trash stays off Ricky's buttox & somebody watches his bike, food, fuel, EVERYTHING! 24 hours a day from the time it gets crated up for the trip to the starting line & every night thereafter he's got it in the bag.
I'm from the 3 strikes school of hard knocks he's due for a win causing some kind of rule change next year because the Euros HATE losing to an American.

Think motocross in the early 70's those days were a game changing

MX304

I'd love to see Brabec win on the bikes, but it looks like a lot more dunes this year. Not sure the Honda will live through it. If a KTM wins, it will probably be Sunderland. Toby's wrist is still too wrecked. Cars I'm puling for Nasser. De Rooy in trucks.

ZequeArgentina

Cars
1. Nasser
2- Peterhansel
3- De villers

(This could have been podium of any of the last 10 ediciones of Dakar)

Bikes
1 Sunderland
2 Benavides
3 Quintanilla

utv
1. Sireyjol
2. Currie
3. Varela

trucks
1. Loprais
2. Sotnikov
3. Macik

Atv
1 Souday
2 Casale
3 Andújar

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
One thing I have noticed is that the dissing of Nasser and Peterhansel has stopped... :D:D:D;)

BajaFand

It’s been a long time since the Nasser/RG and also Nasser showed himself to be a good guy in Baja and has much respect for what we do over here. I’ve also noticed him and Robby don’t seem to have a beef anymore.

Still don’t like Peterhansel lol.

blue dog

I will vote GDV until he wins overall.

bajaherbie

Carlos Sainz in the McLaren!

No, I think he's in F1 so I am going to pick Nasser. GDV second or third.

And Brabec on two wheels.

randy s

so seb loeb finished 9th and won 4 stages in his first dakar..how will alonso do in his first go round? as i recall, no one would have been surprised if loeb did well..he even finished second in his second dakar..i think there are more doubts with alonso..am i wrong? will he compete?

GEO_DXB

so seb loeb finished 9th and won 4 stages in his first dakar..how will alonso do in his first go round? as i recall, no one would have been surprised if loeb did well..he even finished second in his second dakar..i think there are more doubts with alonso..am i wrong? will he compete?
Alonso is very dedicated to having a good result. Desert Dog and myself spend some time in Liwa dunes assisting Overdrive with their testing for Alonso. I would not say he has the speed of the top 3-5 guys and still has to learn to drive an offroad car properly, but he has massive experience with setting up cars, digesting info coming from engineers, he has Marc Coma in the seat next to him, he is very fit, he has the right mindset, great reaction, he sees the track and the surroundings well. I did not make any exact timing comparisons, but if it was Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge on timing he would be top 7 for sure which isnt bad (and im being harsh, I would say top 5 for sure, but lets be critical). Alonso also takes it seriously - no BS, no hanging around just for the sake of it. Into the car, do his thing, get out, talk to crew, get their feedback, rest, get back in. Mind you Loeb comes from WRC and Alonso is a pure track racer in open wheels...

jon coleman

what? Alonso aint flat- billen at the bar talkin' trash bout how he is going to skool rg at parker????, cool...edit; what i meant to say its nice top level motorsport drivers are stepping UP to top level off road deZert racing, heck, who knows , some day Alonso might be ready for bk1, in a , tt?

Last edited:

bajafox

Accepted
One thing I have noticed is that the dissing of Nasser and Peterhansel has stopped... :D:D:D;)
I dont love or hate anyone in DAKAR, Im a casual who started watching when RG raced but I got to meet Nasser at the 1000. He seemed like a super nice dude who was really enjoying the scene and took pics with damn near everyone always smiling.

He even moved in front of our truck so I could get it in the pic (#276)

baja dakar.jpg

Last edited:

PathfinderCS

My original prediction was Brabec - Casale - Al-Attiya - Varela - Karginov; later switching from Varela to Currie when Varela seemed quite off the pace. Gotta say; not bad. XD