• Forum membership has its advantages....

wemo meeting

martininsocal

hey folks-don't forget the wemo meeting in victorville this wednesday at 9:30 at the greentree inn. lets show up in force to keep the blm from sacrificing us up. that is the game plan. i have some new info to dayligt at this meeting that brings the whole public input issue up and questions the behind the scenes dealings that are occurring at scales and bones(fish and game) since they are ultimately who are going to make the decisions. who's gonna be there? let me know, so we can speak before the meeting. martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Paige

Martin ~

I'll be there, I think that Tim Lindsay is going too.

Did you get my e-mail about the comments for the NECO/NEMO public response??

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif>http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif</A></A>">

L&SMotorsports

I'll be there. Are you allowed to leave and return during the meeting? I've got a job site meeting scheduled for just across the freeway. Talk to you later.
Tim

martininsocal

tim-yes, the meeting is pretty informal, but you still can't stick the papers the eco's bring into the meeting up their tree saving arses. martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Paige

TIm,

Leaving for a bit shouldn't be a problem - See you there. Go behind the hotel and the meeting room is sorta hidden away back there.

L&SMotorsports

Sounds good, I've got a 8:00 meeting at the Victorville City Hall, usually it's only about 40 minutes, then I'll head over. I'll see the two of you around 9:00.
Later,
Tim

L&SMotorsports

Attended the first half of todays meeting in Victorville. Martin, how's your arm? Paige and I started to get worried as we watched your hand change from white to blue to purple as you had your hand up so much! I have to say that these land use issue's are a bit mind boggeling. My first impression was that most of the decissions are already made by listening and watching the BLM's reactions. But it soon became apparent that between the 2 and 4 wheel competitors, OHV and 4x4 groups, cattlemen, ranchers, miners and horsemen that were present, that there are a lot of people who are educated on the issues, and are concerned and ready to stand up for our rights. Thank you Paige for getting me up to speed on what the meeting was all about. I'm still a little taken back by what I heard and saw. And thanks to you Martin for voicing your opinions. We could tell that they were well thought out and brought up some serious questions. I have to say it was very encouraging when each person in the meeting introduced themselves and it was apparent that the opposition was out numbered about 20 to 1! I believe they said there is another meeting next week. If any one else can attend these meetings, you will quickly find out what a fight we have on our hands. While there is a short amount of time for the BLM to complete this study, we need to find out what they are looking for, and if there is a way we can help. Thanks again to Paige and Martin, it was good to see you guys.

P.S. Paige, did Michell talk about the problems that accured in Lucerne Valley with the MDR race? Rumor has it that D-37 ran a race a few weeks ago that went outside the BLM's north bounderies. The BLM apparently said that there will not be any more racing in that area due to this, and that is why MDR has had to change the race course. Just wondering if she said anything.
Later,
Tim

Paige

Hey Tim et.al ~

I gave Martin your seat so he could rest his arm on the table for the next round of questions, which he offered. The meeting continued to be a heated one after you had to leave.

The basic problem is that no-one has the maps of the areas that they are designating for closures and they are expecting groups and citizens to comment on closures that are not defined. I copied a map request and got it out to everyone. Martin continued to pound the BLM with thought provoking/hard to answer questions that seemed to be appreciated by all. Thanks again Martin for going to these meetings, doing your homework and asking the tough questions and asking for point blank answers.

Not much was resolved.This process has been going on for 11 years - OYE! I was able to reconfirm that at this point our three open areas for racing are unaffected by the WEMO plan, but that does not mean we are out of the woods. What the probelm is now is that 8,000 miles of limited use trails are designated for closure which affects anything other than the open areas, which is everyone from us on down, so we have to support all users of the desert to ensure our future and if you ever wanted to run the LA B-V or some dual sport event or take your bike and go out and run an AMA non-competative event, that might be history if these 8,000 miles go through- if we sit back and say - oh its not our problem - then they'll sit back and offer up competition when our turn comes up for "designation." Sorry I don't have more to report - but it was an unstructured meeting, totally all over the place - I'm sure Martin can fill in what I left out. But basically bottom line is this plan and the others are not about the tortoise, the milk-vetch, the ground squirrel, the three headed montitor lizard from botswanna that migrated here and is now its own species so we must protect it; its about a land grab. Taking the land for the purpose of locking us out. There is an agenda much larger than we know and we can't forget that!

Martin and I had a great lunch with some of our BLM guys ~ everyone must remember its not our field reps that are the problem - it's the politicians in certain agencies that are the problem - so when you go out to an event - please understand that most of the rangers are on ourside and we need to support them so they continue to support us and issues the permits for our races.

The next meeting is July 25 from 6-9pm - they are trying to make it accessible for the working folk.

As for the problem with AMA - I didn't hear about it - but at the OHV leadership meeting I was at a considerable amount of time was spent on the Environmental Assessments that they must due for Dual Sport and trail ride events and that the BLM doesn't have the time with the requirements of the CDCA lawsuit settlement agreement to do much for new route designation for events becuase they are already going through contempt hearings over the stipualtions of the settlement agreements. Which by the way I found out that if they do not meet the deadlines then the plantiff - the Center - will go back to the judge and ask for harsher "interim closures." I will e-mail Michelle and see what that is about.

Tim always great to see you and Martin was nice to finally put a face to a name.

Never Give Up - Never Surrender!

martininsocal

the biggest thing i got from this meeting actually came from the last meeting-when we were all told straight out that all the maps would be available at this meting for the public to see and ask for. it didn't happen and it was disappointing but no big surprise. it appears the plan is to issue maps just before the closing date of the comment period. this way vehicle users won't have time to catalog actual closures. another problem is that the folks putting the maps together weren't there. so we couldn't ask them if problems that were brought up at the last meeting were fixxed. the blm and the state fish and game people were a little surprised when i asked them who ray bransfield was(unfortunately he wasn't there) but i did bring a quote of his from the press enterprise in an article about the impact on ranchers. the quote was that if he was given the choice between vehicles or cattle, he would take the cattle every time. this is one of the guys that will help with the final approval of the plan since he works for the u.s. dept of fish and game. so i asked what we were all doing there if this guy has already made up his mind. lots of back peddaling and the old..."he could have been misquoted..." lines. as paige pointed out, the decisions have already been made, its just a matter of making us swollow the medicine. there is some hope that the whole plan will fall apart due to time constraints that can't be met.
also-we need tosupport everyone in this battle, whether offroaders, ranchers, horseback riders, miners, etc... the feeling is, if we don't stand together, we will fall 1 by 1.

If your gonna go, go BIG

kurt

Paige-Martin-Tim, THANK YOU!! Unfortunately because of time constraints I'm unable to attend these meetings, I try to support the cause with $$ thru donations to CORVA, Blue Ribbon, etc.. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to attend some meetings, till then how can we ( the off-road community) best support your efforts? Thanks again for all that you do. Kurt

Wayne_Nosala

Hey Paige, Martin & Tim
Great job on representing us at the meeting
I would have liked to have gone, business makes it tough
for me attend during the week

I will be at the DAC meeting in ridgecrest on the 16th,
If there is any info you guys can throw at me about the meeting
i would appreciate it

The only info i have so far, is Mr. Paul Spitler is SUPPOSED to
show up & defend his "BS" 60 page report on the "destruction" ORVs
are causing to the environment

I think Paige siad she is going to be on vacation,Is anyone else
going to attend?
Wayne

KTM_rad

Hello, just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you who are supporting and representing us by attending these meetings and getting involved. I live in SD and am a Field Rep for CORVA. It is hard for me to travel to many of these meetings that are so far out of town, so I do what I can locally. Again, It is GREAT to see all of you involved and want you to know everything you are doing is appreciated by others.

Randy L
CORVA Field Rep - San Diego
California Off Road Vehicle Association
AMA Member

Paige

Wayne,

I will be gone, but so far Tony and Norm will also be there with you. Ed will be doing the tour on Friday ( they have tours of the area the day before the meeting)

I told Ed that you would be at the DAC meeting. Other than an appearance by Mr. Spitler they will be discussing the NECO and NEMO management plans. The DAC commitee had a work shop to go over maps and the issues surrounding the two plans and they will be holding this meeting to determine what their recommendations will be for NECO I believe.

The Field Managers are also present at these meetings and offer their reports - so you get to hear what is going on in each area. Take notes of the important stuff regarding NECO, NEMO and any OHV issues ( Glamis WILL be mentioned). Also The Barstow rep was talking about having The Natures Conservancy buy some land in Barstow - that concerned me because of the way they do biz, the Natures Conservancy likes to buy land and then lock it up, see if he mentions this again, if not ask him some more about it and see what you can find out - it just sounds fishy to me.

NECO will mention the closure of the Parker 400 course on the Cal side and NEMO will mention the elimination of the old B-V course. If you want to get the highlights on these two plans go to www.blm.ca.gov</A> and look for NEMO and NECO managment plans they are large and cumbersome - but you might be able to get something out of checking them out.

The meeting is pretty far away and the current thought is they did that to prevent a lot of people from attending due to the anticipated attendance of Mr. Spilter. So its great that you are going to be there and anyone else you can get to go will help - we need to show numbers at this meeting - our recreation rep - Roy Denner - asked for as many people as possible to attend. I'm sure Vicky Warren from ASA will be there along with a large contingent of peeps =-)

I would bring some snacks or something too! The meeting will run till 4 and there should be a lunch break, but just to be safe, snacks are good ;-)

Thanks again for attending!!

Paige

Kurt,

Thanks for the continued support and if you guys continue to come to our clean ups, do the to-dos posted and help with the calls to action that will be a great help.

Also we need to educate our users, our friends, team mates and families about trash and use of designated routes in the desert - we are the embassadors of the land when we are on it - so teach people how to use it.

I am working on an outreach campaign - or at least working on developing one - in conjunction with the BLM regarding trash and dumping.

martininsocal

i forgot to mention some things we shoud all be aware of! first is the mitigation ratio for lost habitat. did you know the requirement for land replacement in mojave for tortoise habitat is 6 to 1!!! that means if you want to develop/use/graze/etc... on one acre of land not currently being used that you must purchase and donate 6 acres of premium habitat to the blm. now isn't that fair? its not hard to figure out what a 60,000 acre addition to fort irwin really requires. all on our backs. the truth comes out with this requirement, the gov't is trying to aquire all the land out there so they can manage it without input from the public.
another thing we need to be aware of is that the blm and berdoo county nolonger have a memorandum of understanding. this was caused by the wemo plan. the county sheriff is not supporting the blm with law enforcement issues and the blm is not allowed to dump at the dump in barstow. this is all political posteuring on the part of the county(but atleast it is action against an unfair plan!) and kern county may be joining them. even the towns affected by the plan are spending money on professional consultants to figure out how best to stop this fiasco. support trona and lucerne when you are out there! they have a lot to lose and are fighting to keep the recreation spots we use open!
i thnk the ultimate agenda is to confine ohv access to the 3 major open areas(johnson valley, stoddard valley, and some area around ridgecrest(not sure which yet). this will only cause overuse of the areas because so many will be impacting the few areas left. i belive the high use could cause the blm to cancel competition type events because of the possibilty that non-competing recreationist would be in danger in the areas. so the loss of even one foot of trail in the desert will have an affect on us as racers and race enthusiasts.
good luck in ridge crest! martin

If your gonna go, go BIG