• Forum membership has its advantages....

Were to get uniball shafts with taper made?

Fifty

yeeeeaaaaah. I spent allday yesterday calling machine shops..... Not a one would. Bay area, sacramento, chico...

isdtbower

2wd buggy so thru bolt. Cool. The taper holds the shear so one piece or welded to a single part. The bolt basically holds it into the pocket and a fail safe. The only critical part is the radius for the misalignment. Taper next. That is where the design time clicks in. Not good for the shop nor the customer. Doing it manually like he is trying to do seems to save a ton of heart ache. It should have been done a week ago./..but I get it.

isdtbower

Look for the grey hairs with open garage doors in your neighborhood. ;):rolleyes: They don't have overhead to pay. Just heard this morning that Mechanic hourly rate at local Porsche in Silly Valley is $250/hr. I work for $0.15/hr and still can't afford myself.

Just messing. A PITA. I get it.

partybarge_pilot

Anybody that halfway knows how to use a lathe should be able to shorten those up. As long as it has a compound slide on it, it can be done.

isdtbower

Even without a compound slide it can be done with tail stock off set and centers
I have a taper attachment on mine but I don't think it would go to that angle. Never used it, 45 years, and a PITA to remove. SWAG would be to use the compound and then lap both parts together. I can make one of everything. But not a perfect match to the first..........I know millennials that don't even own a file. But a $10k replacers toolbox. We are all go-to buddies though.

partybarge_pilot

Chuck the thing up and put a center in it. Use a dial indicator to match the compound to the angle. measure the end diameter. Part off to length needed. Put center back in. Cut taper till the end diameter is reached. Probably take 5 or 6 pass's. Repeat.

Fifty

Baja kits won’t make a custom one.

Partybarge, if I had a lathe and tools I would attempt to make this as you said.

My neighbor who has a lathe... has a lathe only. I’m going to swing over today or tomorrow (next day he is available to bs) and find out what company and if there is the compound thing to hold a parting tool.
Then which type and then order a 3mm parting tool that will cut 1/2 inch deep.

If he somehow has the attachment to cut a taper, then I would consider trying to cut a taper 3/4 inch higher up.

Bert is my name

Just a thought. In the past I've taken r.o.p. classes to have access to machines so I could work on my own projects. I'm not sure what your local r.o.p. program has. But, it might be worth a shot if your neighbors lathe doesn't work out.

Fifty

Was suggested to contact advanced machining dynamics.

They asked me to send a bunch of pics and some info. Hopefully they can do this with out breaking the bank.

Of course the company who sold me the arms and the parts are flipping ghost.
Crappy thing is he still is supposed to be sending me cage/heim steering bits to replace the tie rods.
Those were supposed to be delivered June 2018 as well.
An acquaintance with the same vehicle but a Baja kits prerunner “long travel” kit is near him and is having him make a wider version of the same parts. He said they were almost done and supposed to be ready a week ago Friday.

I just can’t afford to be running down to SoCal to stand over this guy. Plus now it’s the SEMA excuse.. again.

Crossing my fingers on advanced machining. In the mean time I’m still going to cut 3/4” out of the baja kits one.
The parting tool he had cut fine with regular steel but didn’t do so hot with stainless. So off to find a good tool for stainless.

Fifty

I’m on baby duty until midnight ish. I’ll look for a tool tomorrow am.

Recommend any online sellers?

Bert is my name

Screenshot_20191104-164659_Chrome.jpg

This one is at m.s.c. kind of pricey. I just did a quick search. But mc master carr, zoro, grizzly, shouldn't be to hard to find. You'll want the insert type. That way if it chips you can flip or replace the insert. Use some cutting oil as well.

Fifty

Gothca. I got a 20 second look at the lathe. It looked like his parting tool was a square bar with the blade on the end.
But the companies you listed will give me a decent direction to find what’s needed! Thank uiu

Fifty

I also need to take a cuntshair off the face of the baja kits one so the taper fits snug in the knuckle. Otherwise its a little loose.

advanced contacted me back and I learned about a 100 things in that conversation. But as it relates to this issue
1) the original ones cannot be saved as there is not enough material to make the bottoms the correct size with threads.
2) the BK ones he recommends cutting the taper higher and to not cut it in half. But I need to send him the knuckles pins and uniball. lol and a sizable chunk of money.

So I have contated the shop who made the arms...again... and gave them an update...again. And i want to see what he wants to do. Pony up the money to have the pins made or send me back my money and I will send him the arms back.