Western Auto, Sand Blaster, Jackman Wheels OH MY!

Sandscorcher

Reaction
Hi folks!

Does anybody know about this difference between the two Centerline wide 5?

Anybody there?

Sandscorcher

Reaction
One is a Centerline (Rivets) the other is a CMS (Bolts)

Hi!

Nope!

Both of the wheels do have rivets...

And CMS look alike does have same step as the centerline...:

You can not see bolts in the Rory’s pic even if that wheel clearly does have rivets...but I attached other two pics you can see rivets...

Attachments

• 6CBB2187-0F16-406A-8D56-C0876E153F70.jpeg
    6CBB2187-0F16-406A-8D56-C0876E153F70.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 116
  • B97F1133-BDDF-4152-8A75-97D77C965C74.jpeg
    B97F1133-BDDF-4152-8A75-97D77C965C74.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 121

Sandscorcher

Reaction
Mmmmh...

Nobody knows it...

Where are veterans?

I know here there are a lot of experts...

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Really don't know if it is a Centerline or not. I know some of their truck rims have kicks and bends in them, They also built the front Bubble rims that have a kick, but I don't really remember Centerline rears with that in them. It also doesn't look like a CMS to me, but there were other rims that looked like Centerlines back then.

Sandscorcher

Reaction
Really don't know if it is a Centerline or not. I know some of their truck rims have kicks and bends in them, They also built the front Bubble rims that have a kick, but I don't really remember Centerline rears with that in them. It also doesn't look like a CMS to me, but there were other rims that looked like Centerlines back then.

Hi Gill!

Thanks for replying...😸

So...this is still a mistery...

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Website
www.racers-only.com
Pretty sure the wheels I have are both Centerlines. CMS wheels have nuts and bolts and of course Centerlines have Rivets. It might be the camera angle on the “step”, I’ll have to look at them again and make sure. In the photograph I had cleaned one wheel and left the other dirty to show how well it cleaned up with just soap and water. I’ll let you know if they are truly the same or not.

Sandscorcher

Reaction
Hi Rory!

How are you?
Thanks for replying...

I’m pretty sure your wheels are different about that “step”...
Actually you can see the different position of the valve also...

In the wheel on the left side( the one you cleaned...) the valve is located on the first step...

In the wheel on the right side (the one I’m 100% sure is a genuine Centerline)the valve is on the second “step”...
And you can also see the mirror fx of the rivets on the wheel...because the first step is wider enough to let this to be allowed...
Also in the pics I posted the valve is located on first “step”...

As I said...both of the wheels do have rivets...not bolts as CMS...

So my doubt about it....because I’ve never seen Centerline wide 5 like that...with valve on first wider step...

I’ve only seen here in your pic...in the pic I posted and also in other pic I git recently...

I have tons of pics about Centerline wheels wide 5...either 15” and 13”...NOS and second hand...but all of them do have first “step” narrower then the second one where the valve is placed.

I’ll stay tuned...

Cheers

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

Reaction
What was the name of the spun wheels that came out about the same time that Tectira Tires were coming out? Kind of like a Centerline and rivets, but I believe they only came polished.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
No, not Douglas. I think I even have one in storage, but can't remember the name. And what did the wheels that came from OMF look like? I believe they were selling some wide 5 aluminums way back. Anyone have a picture of a Cragar wide 5? I remember what the 4 lugs looked like, but I remember them looking much different from their 5 lug brothers.

ACME

Reaction
Just saw this thread, for what it's worth: When we did our wheels, I connected with a pretty knowledgeable ex-Centerline & Dick Cepek (another throwback) guy that gave us a lot of info on them and some of the others. I had Centerlines from various cars we owned as well as all the other spun & cast wheels that had been in the market for reference. I actually had a a number of those wheels with the same step that I had from a car I had that differed from other known Centerlines I had. I asked him what the deal was? What he told me but I never cared enough to verify; was that they had made tooling that could be used to make both a 15" as well as a 14 or 13" wheels (can't remember), which they didn't use because they had specific tooling. Occasionally they grabbed the wrong tooling for a run and just ran with what was made as they VW thing was just one part of the business they and their suppliers were doing. It sounded like it was basically an idea they tried that never made sense and some of them made it into the market.

It made sense when keeping in mind, that at that time a lot of their business was also for drag race, street and kit cars etc and a lot of the euro-like glass stuff used smaller wheels and it was a big deal back then.

My personal thought was they were trying to make a stronger center with less flat surface for the new larger HP cars that had evolved as Centerline was the primary buggy wheel choice at that time and the heavier Scat/Porsche & bigger Class 1 & 2's and eventually the 10's & 12's were still running them. Think about the jump from a late 70's class 9 or 5 to a late 80's Class 2 or 5 and the wheels needed to evolve simply based on the cars...

Centerlines were originally designed with a super light load rating as they we're initially developed for drag and light VW use. They migrated over to offroad racing use based on the available options at the time and we're awesome, but never designed specifically for that market.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Website
www.racers-only.com
I remember the Bud Feldkamp/Malcolm Smith Funco running a Cragar logo on their racer and what looked to be Centerlines on the car. Maybe it's Cragar wheels then?

UPR Racing

ADVERTISER
Reaction
The step is referred to as the drop center, its on one side of the wheel or the other. The drop center is there so the tire drops into it when mounting it, its how you get a 15"ID tire on a 16: OD wheel. The rim halves are sometimes interchanged to give the wheel a deep dish look.
Centerline wheel was really Centerline Tool and Die. The equipment they used to build wheels was way beyond what any other wheel company had at the time which was why they were able to rivet wheels together.