WHAT A DUSTY NIGHT!!! Dailey Motorsports # 575 RACE REPORT

<Cody Agee>

Whippersnapper!
I was lucky enough to be able to team up with Pat Dailey and his entire team for the Snore Midnight Special and I would like to give my story on the whole night.

Pre race: I arrive at the drivers meeting and realize how well organized SNORE is as a race promoter. They are on top of stuff and are open to people's opinions unlike others series. They listened to racers thoughts and a 25 mph zone was installed at racer's request. What a class act. I make it back to the pits and we are doing all the last minute checks on the car, checking the oil, testing the radio, etc... . We fire up the car and Lucas Hand, our team manager, doesn't like how the motor sounds. So at that point I am already worked up over the start of the race like everyone gets and now my motor isn't up to par... perfect. Me being young and inexperienced, Im getting all stressed out he says dont worry, we will adjust the valves and everything will be good. Andy from Major Performance comes over and starts adjusting the valves . He takes the valve covers off etc.... I cannot believe we are working on the car 15 min before we line up! Valves get adjusted, motor sounds strong everything is good. Big thanks to Andy for working on a motor that is not even built by the guys at Major. Get all strapped in, and line up. This entire time I have the pressure of trying to stay in front of Rulo Solano. In 5-1600, Rulo is the man! Rulo is separated from me by one car. Since the intervals for starting were 20 seconds, he is starting 40 seconds behind!:eek: If you race 1600 it would be like Rob Mac or Bean starting behind you. Trophy Truck comparison would be Robby Gordon. That is how big of a threat Rulo is. Anyhow, I line up with two cars in front and two behind. Both the cars in front of me take off and the race begins.

Lap 1: I take off the line and it is already a complete dustbowl. This was the worst dust of my short off road career. I hammer down because Pat told me to pass the car in front of me by the end of the wash which was about 2-3 miles long this was going to be a big task! We drop into the wash and start chasing. I am completely blinded and I only know when to anticipate corners from the GPS. Finally I begin to see the faintest sign of an amber light and it becomes brighter and brighter. I get up on the back of the car, and being the gentleman I am wait for the right opportunity to pass. I take it and about ten seconds later we take the right handed turn into the rocky cross grain where passing gets risky. I just cant seem to be reeling in the next car, it is too dangerous with the dust to go any faster. I end up sitting in the car's dust for about the next 20 miles. During those long, hot, sweaty, dusty and every other adjective that describes reasons for anger 20 miles I began to get pissed. Why am I not catching this guy, this is bs, I'm way faster.At around mm 10 we both hit a check point and im 5 seconds behind the lead 5-1600. He was running clean air and i was in his dust with zero wind. All those factors added up and I was gaining about a second a mile the dust just wasnt going to permit. One part of me wants to push hard and risk a flat or worse and catch him and the other says wait for the right time. I stay with the reserved approach and about mm 25 ish I am finally on his butt. All of a sudden we are going through these small but sharp hills and I see his amber stopped. All of the monotony of those 25 miles put me in a trance and my reaction was delayed. I turn sharp left off the course up a hill leading away from the course its all single track and I finally turn around. car # 555 is stuck on a hill and we get back on the course. Rulo still hasnt passed me! Now he can eat everybody else's dust while I make up some time!! Young and unproven, I now start hammering down trying to separate myself and the pack. I get out of the rough, hilly cross grain and make a right down the long steep down hill that has g outs that many people had watted up on. We start to reel in champ cars now that we are out of the dust down this straight away. We hit 80 i believe, that is fast for a 5-1600! I catch some champ cars and they let me pass. But finally I get on one guy that will not move over. Because the champ cars weigh 1K pounds less everytime I would catch one in the rough it would separate itself just enough in the straight away. I followed him 15 miles all the way into main pit where he continued to drive like Jeff Gordon and was zig zagging all over the place. I come through main pit and am running first. Boy I was really pumped to be in the lead ahead of Rulo. I come into start finish still behind that damn champ car!!!

Lap 2: I drop into the sand wash behind the champ car and I just cant muster up the speed with my big old heavy vw pan and his tube chassis to pass him. I am informed that I am about 1:30 in front of the second place car. I am right on his butt all the way through the whoops and FINALLY after ten miles of the second lap I pass him. All of a sudden he comes up next to me and we are in a drag race for the single line sand wash ahead. He barely gets me and now I am stuck in his dust again!!!! What an a** hole. RULE #1: OFF ROAD RACING: Let the faster car go in front! While it may seem like we are going the same speed let me remind you I am battling for the lead, he is like 4th in class or some bs and in the whoops which was about 4/5 of the course I was WAY faster than him thanks to my Fox Shocks (plug:D). I am now stuck behind him in a sand wash. I am right on his butt and we take two different lines that reconjoin. All of a sudden I see sparks flash in front of me from a rock hitting his skid playe and his champ car is stalled in the middle of the wash!:eek: I have nowhere to turn and not enough time to stop.... WHACK. I hit the back of the champ car and his entire car must have lunged forward about 6 feet. We kept going and that was the last that I saw of him. I start plowing my way down the wash until this bad feeling sinks in. My car is starting to steer funny. Crap, I hope something isn't wrong with the front end. We make it to a check point at the bottom of the hill and stop. I have a drivers side front flat. I had been warned about getting a flat from rocks but not spastic butt holes who won't move out of the way. Four guys from the check point run over and try to assist my codawg Billy with the tire change. I watch car # 555 go by. I am super bummed. But it wasn't Rulo. I suddenly look over to my co dawg. The jack isnt working. What do you do when you need to change a tire and you dont have a jack?? Manpower. 4 spectators/volunteers lifted the front of the car up while we took of the bad tire and put the new one on. Then Rulo goes by. Another 3 min goes by or at least it seemed that long before we got going again. Off we go into the night 1st to third like that. I start to push it hard, I want to catch Rulo bad!!! I pass car 555 which Rulo passed as well. Now I am in second. I pass pit B and they inform me Rulo is 30 seconds ahead. Sweet! All is not lost. The whoops that seemed so rough while prerunning disappeared. The car was working flawlessly. We caught some more champ cars but no Rulo. I pull into the pit hoping a fresh Pat Dailey can reel in a tired Rulo Solano. I believe I pulled in a couple minutes behind Rulo so I was happy with the result. Pit stop came up, dumped some fuel, put in another spare tire, PD jumped in and off they were. Everybody was telling me man you were hauling but, way to keep Rulo close. I was still mad at that champ car. I told everyone that I would have been 5 minutes ahead if it wasnt for the flat tire i got and then everyones like you got a flat!!??? Yeah didnt you all hear it over the radio? apparently they didnt get the message.

After: I spent the rest of the night up on a hill with Nimrod and Big Daddy enjoying the race biting my fingernails. Pat came throught he next lap with about 30 seconds time over Rulo and won by about 8 minutes. My first 5-1600 win!! Rulo got a couple flats to our advantage because we had some small problems ourselves.

Here is Pat's race report: So we start the third lap and we are 5 minutes behind 2 time Class champ Rulo Solano. The car is working awesome and we are charging hard. About 15 miles into our lap, we see some lights off in the distance. Racing against Rulo these past couple of years, I am thinking it is not him. We keep charging and we are reeling in this car. We keep getting closer and closer and now we are in his dust. In the meantime, we are starting to get lapped by the faster cars so the dust is really thick as they blow by but we stay persistent and keep charging. We are reeling in this car and we come up to a hard right and notice that the car we are reeling is RULO!! My co-dawg yells, "THAT'S RULO!!" We keep charging hard and we are in his dust for several miles. Finally, a faster car had passed us and I stay on this faster cars dust trail and then that car passes Rulo and we are right on Rulo's bumper. After about a 1/4 mile on Rulo's bumper, he pulls over and we blow by him. We come up to Pit B and the pit radios that he is right on our butt. We keep charging, keep charging.

We come through main pit on the start of our last lap and I radio to the pit to keep me posted on the time split between Rulo and myself. A few miles go by and no word from the pit. I radio back asking where Rulo is and they report that he is not through main pit. Finally they radio in and we have a nice comfortable lead now because he had suffered a flat tire. We put it in cruise control and keep charging. We get to about MM25 and our pit reports that there is a Class 1 car approaching. We keep an eye in the mirrors but he is not really gaining on us. By this time, the car was starting to run a little funky. It felt like it was loading up or something. The 1 car catches us in the rough section at about MM28-29 where it is really rough and single track. He is right on our bumper and he is flashing his brights. I am waving out the rear window to let him know I am there. It is single track and there was nowhere to pull over but I was searching. Finally I see a little opening and just before I go to pull over WHAM!!, he nailed me. OUCH!! It made my teeth clack. The car instantly shut off and I am trying to figure out what the hell just happened!!! I am thinking that our rear cage just got pushed into our motor and we are done. I go to start the car and notice that the battery is just about dead. Loomis jumps out to check out the car and everything is OK. (Thanks to ORAF for building such a strong rear cage by the way). We switch batteries and try starting it back up but no luck. I kill the fuel pump and we sat there for what seemed like eternity. Finally, I try to start it and IT COMES BACK TO LIFE!! Loomis jumps back in and we were on our way. We make the right turn for the big downhill straightaway and I am still kind of fuming over the hit we took. Loomis and I are talking and we come up to the railroad crossing full speed and I had forgotten about that nice little drop off. I see it at the last minute and yell "OH S***!! We hit the other side, it kicks us a little sideways and then hit the next drop off and kicks us the other way straight for a huge bush. I turn the wheel at the last second and we just clip the bush and no harm done! WHEEWWWW!! Loomis and I laugh it off (WE SURE GOT LUCKY KIND OF LAUGH). We finish out last lap with no issues and bring home the win. We wound up winning by about 8-9 minutes over Rulo.

I need to thank some people. First off, I would like to thank my lovely wife Angie AKA Firecracker for putting up with me and taking care of all the guys. Loomis and Billy, great job co-dawging!! Mark Agee and family, thank you for letting me drive your car. Glad I was able to bring it home this time FINALLY!! Lucas Hand, thank you for being so organized and running the show. You are the man. SNORE, great event as always. Thanks to the entire Orange Army/ Dailey Motorsports pit crew for working the checkpoints and road crossings out there. I'm sure SNORE appreciates your efforts as well. Thank you to Ashcraft Racing for being out there for us. Congrats on the win Adam!! Thank you PAB for putting up with us hooligans. Bean, thanks for taking the guys around on the prerun and keeping me in line. You are a good friend. Good times hanging with Nimrod (thanks for the prayer before the race), Lobster, Bluebear, Big Daddy and the rest of the DA family. Deano and Glenn-G, thank you for all the belly laughs this weekend. Danzio Racing, thank you for everything. Congrats to you Josh for your overall win. You certainly deserved it! HUGE thanks to Andy from Major Performance engines. We had an issue right before staging and Andy came right over and figured it out for us and got us dialed in even though it wasn’t a Majors motor. Much appreciated amigo!! The FOX shocks were dialed in this weekend!!

Thanks to the whole Desert Assassins crew, Cam, Bean, Mike, Sidekick, Deano, Glen G, Big Daddy, Cody Stuart, Blue Bear, you guys made it alot of fun to be out there!!

Way to go Orange Army for representing Dan, Nick, Adam, KWOOD, Chicken, Gabby, sorry if I missed somebody:eek::eek:

Thanks to the Dailey Motorsports guys pitted out at pit b

Special thanks to Lucas Hand for all of the great advice and wisdom. He also gets my vote for funniest guy of the weekend (sorry Glen G.... close second place) .

Thanks to Pat and Angie they really are some of the nicest people around.

I had a blast at this race and want to continue to drive and get seat time!!

M.Harvey1600

good stuff cody... glad to hear u hung in there and kept a seasoned veteran behind a rookie for as long as u did...

sumtimes slower traffic can b a total pain, luckily u didnt have more of a problem after hitting the champ car... good work

Last edited:

M.Harvey1600

Also just wanted to say this one more time, HUGE thanks to Yokohama. You guys rock!!
it sux that the yoko couldnt hold up to a champ car!!! haha jk

I am a YOKOHAMA BUGGY DORK for life... butttt the BFG's i had on the front of my 1600 car when i hit the 16,000 lb truck and trailer 3 years ago still have air in them!!! haha

and yokohamas are still my choice, go figure

<Cody Agee>

Whippersnapper!
it sux that the yoko couldnt hold up to a champ car!!! haha jk

I am a YOKOHAMA BUGGY DORK for life... butttt the BFG's i had on the front of my 1600 car when i hit the 16,000 lb truck and trailer 3 years ago still have air in them!!! haha

and yokohamas are still my choice, go figure
the hit on the champ car was taken on solely by the tire and made us go from 40 to 0. cant blame the tire stuff just happens. i was so bummed at the time haha

M.Harvey1600

the hit on the champ car was taken on solely by the tire and made us go from 40 to 0. cant blame the tire stuff just happens. i was so bummed at the time haha
yeah that sucks.... just giving ya a hard time... our tires hit the truck and trailer while it sent the beam through the front fire wall.... 4th gear pinned to a dead stop (IDK 82mph - 0mph) cant believe the tires are even still around... had to beat the CENTERLINE out so i could get to 1 lug nut... crazy what somethings can withstand...

glad it didnt end your guys' night right there... great job on getting your 1st win against some solid competition!!!

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Nice write up Cody. Good job on the win.

That section after the railroad crossing almost got me too. My son was yelling "Danger!!"and I had alot of speed going. I locked up the brakes and went sideways just before it. Bled off enough speed to keep from going balistic. That got the blood flowing.

Fun weekend.

M.Harvey1600

<Cody Agee> is one fast kid. This "damn teenager" is going places...FAST!!!! Keep your eye on him.

I got a lot of respect for your talent. Good Job Cody!
<Cody Agee> can definitely wheel a car around... definite up-and-comer... look forward to seeing what the future has in store for this young talent

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
way to go cody. we saw you come thru the railroad crossing at mm14, right at the check and right behind the leader. i coulda swore it was your more experienced team-mate, mr. orange himself ;).. way to keep that pedal to the wood! we were hangin out in the back of our black bronco.

you have come a LONG LONG LONG way in exactly 1 year of racing since our last spout off! CONGRATS!

pat, your pits and people looked as professional as it comes out at pit b

GREAT JOB BOYS!

pdailey

Racer
way to go cody. we saw you come thru the railroad crossing at mm14, right at the check and right behind the leader. i coulda swore it was your more experienced team-mate, mr. orange himself ;).. way to keep that pedal to the wood! we were hangin out in the back of our black bronco.

you have come a LONG LONG LONG way in exactly 1 year of racing since our last spout off! CONGRATS!

pat, your pits and people looked as professional as it comes out at pit b

GREAT JOB BOYS!
Thanks Louis. It was a year ago, wasn't it??!! HAHAHAHA

Is it New Years yet? ;)

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Thanks Louis. It was a year ago, wasn't it??!! HAHAHAHA

Is it New Years yet? ;)
exactly 1 year to the RACE!! ahaha... now, i just gotta work the deal to get them redbull VIP tic's again and we can get the man "lucas" to make the party! so, how far is pastrami gonna jump?

M.Harvey1600

<Cody Agee>

Whippersnapper!
thanks alot everybody i want to keep racing and get better as long as I can somehow keep doing it whether it be sponsors or someone else footing the bill, I only have parents for so long!! haha