what about this welder?

UndercoverFab

Reaction
i`ve never used a clarke welder or know of anyone who has but judging from what it says on the site it should be able to handle it, i`d definetely step up and buy the regulator so you can have a shielding gas, i`d still say save up a little more and go for a millermatic 185 their like 700$ but the warrantys better and it comes with everything you need to get going besides a bottle.

cleartoy

Reaction
By the specs, it has enough juice. Deffinitely get a regulator and bottle.

Im using Millermatic 175 and I love it.

singlehanded

Reaction
It looks pretty cheap, well I guess the price says it all it is pretty cheap. Looks similar to the 110's they sell at harbor freight for like 200 bucks. Just remember you get what you pay for I would reccomend a lincoln or a miller as far a a good quality one. Look on e-bay most come with free shipping.

NicksTrix

Reaction
for those that aren't ready to spend the extra money for a "better" welder, but are ready to do a fab job. you can go rent a wire welder at lowe's/nationsrents for just a few dollars a day. thats a great way to get your project done yourself, while you still save up for a real welder.

singlehanded

Reaction
you can buy a miller or licoln 175 on ebay for around 660 bucks with everything but the bottle and they got free shipping too. I would save up and buy a good quality brand name.

toyotaguy

Reaction
ok you people who say it looks chezy, tell me how you can tell. Look at the attachments and tell me the performance difference between the two.

Attachments

toyotaguy

Reaction
now from those tell me how one can tell if a welder is crappy or not.....you know by the outside casing of the welder. I am just trying to learn about the performance of the welder....not trying to be a dick if that is how it comes across.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
From those pictures you can tell the Miller is more tuneable. and from the specs, the one you are interested in has a 30% duty cycle. If you are set on the cheaper one...get it, but remember you get what you pay for so you might as well buy a welder that will last you a life time...not a couple years.

curt

Reaction
Actually, I had a Clarke welder bought inexpensively from Post Tool. We built our 1st 2 trucks with it and it worked reasonably well. Since I'm not an expert at duty cycle, I just ignored it and run until the box didn't work well. The difference between my old welder and my Lincoln that I use now is welding time, the Lincoln runs much longer before it lays down(duty cycle). The other thing was penetration, if the surface was not very clean and completely rust free or was in a difficult position like upside down and in a corner where you needed to let the wire grow longer to get to it, it would make uglier welds than the Lincoln. Another problem I had was the gun is a non-standard gun and needed special sized tips(metric I think) so I could't go to my regular welding supply shop and get new ones, I had to go back to Post and they were frequently out of stock bringing the project to a halt. I know the price looks very attractive but you will be using this for hopefully a very long time, buy a quality name brand you will not regret it. As for comparing specs, specs can be misleading go to a fleamarket and check out their imported POS 100watt receivers, compare them with a brand name like a Kenwood or Sony etc...They won't sound as good even though the specs show them to match up fairly close....Good luck, Curt

tedmales

Reaction
i think everybody on here is just trying to tell you that there are better models out there than the one you posted. thats not what yyou asked, but thats what they are giving you. most all of us have bought low priced stuff, and you almost always replace it because you get what you pay for. i have a miller 250x, and its great, but it was spendy, and i have a 110 volt hobart and it doesn't work too hot, but it works. but it all comes down to you get what you pay for, and when it comes to electronics, most of the time its best to buy 1 model better than you wanted that way it last longer, and you are happy with it longer.
just my 2 cents.