What are class nine top speeds on a dry lake bed?

Speedingjake

What are class nine top speeds on a dry lake bed? To be competitive, what speed should you be able to get your car up to and keep it there for 2 to 3 mile stretches?

Bro_Gill

Don't limit yourself to a dry lake, if you have real cajones, find that speed running down the gas line road at Ridgecrest.

brad inch

i was catching a 9 car in by 1600 and just when got him he but it in 4th and started pulling me till he got crossed up.note my 1600 never when over 80
Don't limit yourself to a dry lake, if you have real cajones, find that speed running down the gas line road at Ridgecrest.

Bro_Gill

The old days with no close ratio gears. If you had help, a 9 car would have a higher top speed than a 1600. Getting there was tough, but that long downhill helped. No restrictor plate and long 4th gear with 33" tires meant lots of top end speed if you could get there.

QurtysLyn

Ours tops out at 79.8 Mph according to our GPS.

We've hit it once.

GoLeft

Here's the in-car from Trevor Anderson's 5/1600 at the 2014 SCORE San Felipe 250 drag racing Dave Simpson across the Laguna Diablo dry lakebed.

Mohr

My old car went 89.97 with a 22mph tail wind on Soggy Dry lake....Into the wind the same day was 64....GPS...4.37, with 1.31 4th... Super digger 3's... 5600 rpm...on a tach...

I had a racer tell me once that he was pinned in 4th gear, doing 78mph...and we blew right by him. Lol...that's all I'm gonna say;)

You be the judge....watch, starting at the 2:35 mark....5 unlimited, 1600, or class 9? Who's faster? It's probably camera trickery:cool: Definitely looking forward to getting back out there soon.

Speedingjake

Here is what we ended up getting, GPS top speeds on the same dry lake stretch.
1st lap first driver: Driver was 220 pounds and car had a full tank of gas, 64 MPH.
120 miles later, second driver: Driver was 175 pounds and the car was lighter minus what ever fuel was used, 72 MPH.

Mohr

Several factors play into "top speed". Aerodynamics on off road cars is usually horrible. Why can a stock bug with 55 hp do 80-90, and a 9 car with 15-20 more hp struggle to do 65-70? On a customers 9 car we added a 3" cardboard wicker bill, 3" in front of his "A" pillar at 65 degrees and got 4mph... Also, it's very common for 9 cars to be "under geared" meaning like a 1-2 1600, too low a 4th will limit the possibility of a higher top speed. I've passed a few 1600s on a lake bed with my old 9...remember, "pinned" in 4th, is pinned in 4th. The final drive ratio will only allow a certain top speed based on the rpm...simple math....

CFreeLV

I raced a 9 car at Caliente about 10 years ago for the first time. I either started first or second in class and the 1600's started right in front of us. This was the old course that ran through the 3 big water crossings and the first 75% was graded roads with a sand wash or 2 mixed in. I ended up passing 2 known 1600 racers on a graded road and was going at least 5 mph faster than they were. I also learned you couldn't mandandle the transaxle the same way as a 1600 and grenaded the R&P going out on the last lap leading. Regardless I had a great time at the bar that night giving them I failed spelling that they got passed by a 9 car like they were standing still.

On another note Clint Braun won the jump contest at Battle at Primm between the 16's, 9's and 5/16's in 2016 and 2017. In 2016 a few of the 1600 guys called bs and claimed since he was pitting with us and a member of our team was doing the measurements we gave him the furthest distance and he got the bonus $$$. In 2017 he put in a go pro and he didn't lift from the hot pits all the way to the dike jump and confirmed it was no bull crap. The landing looked a bit harsh but he went for it. I think he ended up going 95' and the best 1600 went 87'.