What are the affects of lift spindals??

homey

Currently I have a '99 Tacoma "mini" (not the prerunner or 4x4) with the Camburg uppers and lowers. I want to find out if there will be any ill affects a fabtech 3" spindle will have on the kit. I was thinking it would give the Camburg kit a few extra inches of wheel travel but I didn't know what it would do to the geometry or if it would affect it at all. If Jerry reads this I wonder if he has thought about this or even tested this...any help would be great!

TDORSloppy

I put the fabtech spindles on my fiance's truck with the Camburg kit and they work awesome! The truck needed wheel spacers in the front before because of the airbumps but the fabtech spindles kicked the tires out an extra 1.5" per side! Now we have clearance for 33s (going on this afternoon) and no more wheel spacers in the front. I jumped this small dip by my house and it feels smoother now that there's more leverage. I don't have wheel travel figures yet but I will this weekend hopefully. Here's a pic of what it looks like

Attachments

John Bitting

Administrator
You will not get anymore travel out of the camburg kit, you might get more uptravel then before if your wheel was hitting on the fender well. I dont see why you cant run lift spindles with it, I ran them on my CST kit on my chevy.

homey

So is the spindal 3" taller then stock or is the wheel axle 3" higher on the spindal? It seems like you would get more droop, not more up-travel if the spindal is taller. also, how much did those spindals cost?

1992f150

all it does is move the snout of the spindle down, the pivot points on the spindle remain the same. If they didnt your geometry would be all screwed up.

sirhk100

Yeah, all they should be doing to a lift spindle if you're not incorporating the spindle with a complete custom system is moving the snout or spindle spud down whatever their claimed lift height is. I guess in some cases if the factory geometery is all screwed (new Dodge rams for instance, camber change comparable to I-Beams from the factory!!!) they may move upper and lower positions to try and improve it...

homey

So I guess you might get a few more inches of up-travel as John said. I guess a balljoint spacer is the way to go in order to get extra travel with the stock balljoints.
TDORSloppy, do you know if there are better balljoints for the mini? The stockers hardly move, and I get about 9"-10" of travel.

sirhk100

Jedi Fatkid is seriously one of the greatest things I've seen online...

Sorry, had to comment!!!!

Jerry Zaiden

I have never tried these spindles. The stock spindles are forged and the Fabtech spindles are Cast. The Fabtech uprights are alot thicker and use a press in spindle.
As for the truck using the airbump off the upper arm, I do not recomend that with such a small upper ball joint. How have your ball joints held up?

homey

My balljoints are holding up fine but I wanted to know if they make balljoints that move more than the stockers. It seems the only thing limiting the travel on your kit is the frame rails and the balljoints.

On a side note...did you get your table floating yet?

TDORSloppy

The balljoints on the 5 lug mini suck ass! They are sloppy, sloppier than me! I just changed them and they still suck. When I have some funds in the bank, the next project is getting some new uppers with uniballs and eliminating the cross shafts. To be honest, the Tacoma 5 lug mini is almost as bad for off-roading as a S-10. It's definately not designed for off-road. I do however like the rack and pinion steering and the air bumps really help.

homey

Who's going to make the uppers for you? And what do you think they'll cost? If you have them made, at least I will know who has the jig for doing it!

TDORSloppy

If I could do it in the CNC shop here at Kartek, I might make them out of Billet Aluminum. I'll tell you if I do it or not.