What are the most important things we want from a desert webcast

What are the most important things we want from a desert webcast

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

firedog

Reaction
I'll chime in for myself. The most important thing for me is to hear the weatherman when racing in Baja.

y2kbaja

Reaction
Do what KOH did. That's the best coverage ever. Live video from the helo and cars is costly. But drop the sd cards and swap go-pros from in car and play them in the other "downtime".

y2kbaja

Reaction
If you're going to live FB or Periscope put a WM radio close by to pick up the audio.

down4glamis

Reaction
Duplicate KOH x3

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
Tracking and better live coverage. For the Mothers, Wives, and Girlfriends back at home.

bajadreamer

Reaction
KOH boys got it figured out... way less hype and way better coverage.. don't get me wrong I'll take what I can get but seems odd that the KOH has better coverage than BITD and SCORE ...

Imo

I'm nobody from nowhere

offroadracer516

Reaction
Snore is doing it the right way. They had great coverage at Bap and Rage. They are saying they will have it at Ridgecrest too. Now will BITD do it for the fans and family? Or the money? Its lame they didn't have something like this at the Mint.

vegasloki

Reaction
Like it or not, for better or worse the Mint has a big time TV deal. That's likely to preclude most live streaming. That's how TV works. Some deals are different. I'd imagine Cole's TV deal is a time buy where they have more latitude to use other platforms. They buy the blocks of time from the network then sell the ads, usually to companies associated with the event. Eyeballs on network ads, even on a Sunday afternoon when not much else is on are worth far more than any streaming. The stream is going to get a couple thousand people max, if that. You'll be into six figures on a network show and with that scale and reach the big brands are going to be able to pay for it.

ONE_RJ

Reaction
Just curious if somebody provided good race coverage from the ground, drone, in car with good commentary like KOH. How many people do you think would be willing to pay $15-25 to watch a live streamed race like the Mint, NORRA or the Baja 1000?

y2kbaja

Reaction
Watching KOH this year already cost me a days work. I had to call in sick to be home.

ltr450rider

Reaction
This would be my wishlist:

1. Live timing and leaderboard from start to finish, picked up and updated every 25-50 miles around the course in a lap race, or every 50 to 100 miles in a loop or point to point race. I know it's hard to get internet in the remote area's for updates, but someone can radio in the times to a base where they can be updated and entered.

2. I don't really care about live video feeds that just show cars going by unless there is some commentary, live video without commentary to me is pretty boring. Instead, I would be more interested in watching a 30 minute or longer recap of what has happened during the race with edited video from the course and commentary. Basically what they do for the NHRA TV broadcast. Do this about an hour before they come to the finish line, then go live 15 minutes before the finish and do the podium.

I don't really trust the tracking, there always seems to be delays and trackers not tracking. I trust someone with a stopwatch, pen, and paper writing down times like everyone else does in the pits, which is why I prefer a leaderboard for live timing

johndjmix

Reaction
Not the main broadcast but a live video feed from an inside a race vehicle would be sick.

Might attempt this from our truck at V2R. But sat bandwidth is not cheap!

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
WildPowerSports.com
coolermods.com

isdtbower

Reaction
I bet there were 2000 on the lakebed watching the livefeed ..Especially in the pits. Common were a couple laptops plus 3-4 race radios listening and communicating. Not uncommon for people up in the canyons and on the course watching the race in front of them... and also the live cast on their phones. Can't beat that exposure!

J Prich

Reaction
Having been away from the desert for almost 6 years, I can't tell you how many hours I've spent watching live tracking, streams, etc. I sat in a pub in Wales and watched tracking of my truck racing Blue Water last year. I'm a bit of a live tracking connoisseur.

First and foremost for me would be accurate, relatively time sensitive tracking/leaderboard info. Even if there is no streaming, etc, having close to real time info about who is where is really helpful. The Racing Trax stuff is neat for example, but we all know that with 5-8 min updates...all on different cycles, it's basically useless if you're trying to determine race position. For me watching tracking in Racing Trax is like watching Telemundo. I can understand a little of it, but just enough to get myself confused and frustrated.

If its going to include a live stream, the person who's doing the talking determines whether or not I keep the sound. I've listened to a lot and honestly, over the years the most tolerable person I've seen for my taste was Lucas Hand at BAP last month. He was knowledgeable and informative and did a great job of not filling sentence after sentence with hollow cliches and catch phrases.

In a perfect world, if you're talking about on course live streaming stuff too, obviously KOH is the gold standard so whatever you can do to get closer to that the better.

But again...for me I could even do without any visuals and be content with a really good leaderboard/tracking system. These days the best streaming you're going to get is going to come from FB live, Instagram live, etc from regular people out on course, etc. The technology is everywhere and while the quality isnt always great, it's always going to be the best source of instant footage.

I think Jim Beaver made a suggestion some time back that there is a way to create a social media feed kind of thing like how Twitter works that allows people to use a certain hash tag or whatever so by searching that hash tag you could instantly sort through everything being posted related to that. I think that would actually be really helpful because people could sort through the different broadcasts and find what they wanted to watch themselves.

vegasloki

Reaction
I heard much, much larger numbers for the live feed from KOH. If you build it they will come!

Unique visitors or total streams? If I watch over the course of a day from a few different devices depending on how the provider is tracking users I might be seen as 4 or 5 visits when it's just one guy. I'd be interested in seeing what the total of uniques are over the entire period. Even then let's say there are 10k uniques, not counting those at the event. Counting those at the event would be like adding the Fanvision numbers to the TV ratings at a Cup event. That's still a 10th or less what just random TV on a weekend will draw. That's good for the sponsors that are in narrow markets. It targets the very people they wish to reach at likely an affordable price. Not too much for the larger brands that have a more universal appeal. For instance Polaris, BFG, Toyota or Monster.

The reality is that each race has a different business model for the broadcasts. KOH is aimed toward the existing market who will go out and find the content and the Mint is aimed at mass market media where someone might happen on it channel surfing. I think it's important to understand and recognize the different approaches and how they work in their respective markets. While events are now being ported to mobile devices, access to the larger events is still going to be through the big media gatekeepers. You can already see this with offerings like apps and mobile packages like AT&T/DirecTV are offering. It's going to be difficult for independents like Cole to crack into more mainstream media without big media partners. But then not all media or events need to be on the largest providers. Many people have done well providing niche content to comparatively small audiences.